• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil leak after valve check & oil/filter change

mpgandfun

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this probably isn't the right subforum, but seeing as I plan on leaving for a 2000 mile trip in 2 days,
I needed this post to get some quick views and hopefully insightful responses.

After a 2-3 mile test run after finishing the valve check, I noticed the leak. The leak is coming from
the hose that attaches to the upper hole of the valve cover. Honda used a pinch clamp to secure the
hose. Is it just a matter of replacing the pinch clamp with a hose clamp that can be tightened more, or
do I have a more serious issue going on?

****I double checked my oil level with bike on level surface and inserting the dipstick without threading it in,
and is not overfilled**** (-Overfill was my first inclination)

leak2.jpg

leak1.jpg

Last edited:
Is the leak at the hose for sure? Can't tell from the pic since oil might travel up from the cover. You are going to have to take the cover off anyway to get a look at it, so I would start by checking to make sure the gasket is seated well.

Those pinch clamps are more than sufficient for their duties as PCV breather hose keeper on-ers, so my bet is the hose isn't quite pushed as far onto the spigot in the valve cover as it is supposed to be, and/or the clamp isn't past the ridge formed on the spigot, where it is supposed to sit.

It can be a bit messy, but it's not a huge big deal or anything IMHO. Make sure the hose is firmly pushed on as far as it will go comfortably, and have the clamp on the back side of the bump in the hose formed by the ridge around the circumference of the spigot.

Check the end of the hose if you can, to confirm it isn't split or torn, heat can make them brittle and easily cracked. If possible, clean any slippery residual escaped oil mist from the spigot and the inside end of the hose.

I took the 2 bolts holding the radiator on, off so I could wipe the valve cover & gasket perimeter to have a clean
slate to spot the leak. I pulled the hose in question off, wiped the nipple on the valve cover off and
used a clean rag to swab any debris from the inside of the hose that might be preventing it from sealing around
the nipple. The hose was not brittle and the surface area of the end did not show any cuts or splits.

I started it up and let idle for a few munutes. No leak.
I blipped the throttle several times (parked & in neutral). No leak
I checked for a leak again after a short (1/8th mile) low speed run (25mph). No leak.
Took the bike up to 50 mph for about a 1/2 mile. The leak showed back up.
I'm 95% sure it is at the hose area I suspected. Gonna pick up a hose clamp and put it
on (instead of the pinch clamp) tonight and go for a couple test runs after work.

If I still get oil with the hose clamp, I'm thinking there's a crack or cut in the hose
somewhere. If that's the case, I'm puzzled how me using my fingers to pull it off,
caused the damage. As I mentioned, it looked to be ok.

Last edited:
Agree with checking integrity of the hose. I also have found that sometimes moving the pinch clamp to a bit different place than it was before will eliminate small leaks.

Huh, hopefully there isn't some reason that the crankcase is over pressurizing! There shouldn't really be a super appreciable amount of oil spewing out a breather hose like that.

What is your oil level? Maybe too much oil when refilled after valve adjustment?

How is your air filter? I was going to say the PCV hose should go into the bottom of the airbox, but you have the US model, which means there may be some weird emissions cannister with a little check valve in there or something, before it gets to the airbox. If you can find the other end of the hose and pull it off, maybe see if there is a blockage or if it's full of oil.

*edit* sorry, I missed seeing in your first post about proper oil level

Last edited:
After consulting the owners manual on checking the oil level, I see that the bike should have been upright
and NOT on its sidestand. Re-checked it while holding it upright........Yeah, it is overfilled :rolleyes:. No time to drain
some and run it a bit. Gotta head to work. Will try it tonight when I get home.

After consulting the owners manual on checking the oil level, I see that the bike should have been upright
and NOT on its sidestand. Re-checked it while holding it upright........Yeah, it is overfilled :rolleyes:. No time to drain
some and run it a bit. Gotta head to work. Will try it tonight when I get home.

Get out the Christmas turkey baster, mate

Kidding! :D

I would, as I'm not married and in fear for my life for misusing kitchen stuff, heehee.

...but then again not being married, means I have no such thing as a turkey baster in the first place, lol

Hey, at least it's a simple fix with no anxiety attached to the cause before your trip. Have fun btw :)

Back