• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil leak near water pump (?)

T288msd

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I've got a 2013 NC700XD. 45000 miles. Daily commuter. Had very few problems with it, until now.

Last week I noticed a 20cm (8in) sized puddle of oil on the garage floor. Checked all around and found oil splattered around the joint of a rubber tube where it joins the water pump (red circle in the diagram attached)
I topped up with oil, it took a good 500ml (pint) and went for a short ride. Came back and my left shin was covered in oil spray.

Took it to the local sports motorbike garage (they don't see many NC's but the nearest dealer is 20miles away). He wants to take off the water pump and check the gasket/seal. To do this he says he has to drop/take out the engine because the frame is in the way. He is getting back to me with a quote (expect ££££). I'm looking for advice.
1) Has anyone seen this before?
2) do you really have to drop the engine or has anyone seen the water pump removed with engine in situ
3) can anyone recommend garage/dealer in mid Surrey UK who you'd trust to fix.

See below pic (not my bike). Red circle is where the oil splatter around the pipe is.

Any help appreciated. Matt

See attached Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 08.41.04.png

Last edited:
An oil in that area ( water pump) is very rare. I would question the actual leak location before going farther. The valve cover gasket above the pump area would be a prime suspect.

There are two $2.00 orings on the water pump, but they most likely seal coolant not oil.
https://www.procaliber.com/oem-parts?aribrand=HOM&arian=MOTORCYCLE#/Honda_Powersports/NC700XDAC_(13)_NC700XD,_JPN,_VIN#_JH2RC631-DK100001/WATER_PUMP/587f1cc5-c44a-4e20-9ea3-b69b83d19596/03e3016a-fbbc-4c45-b1a0-54dce3d6a1f7/y

The water pump removal or serviced has come up in prior posts.........with no positive confirmation.

Some report the water pump can be removed with the engine in the frame, while others claim it can not be removed.......so may come down to technique and skill? Shop manual gives no indication the engine must be removed. Some said after the water pump cover is removed the pump body can be removed. It’s a rare occurrence so there’s no confirmation. There post were resorted to coolant leaks not oil ( as I remember).

Clean the leak area.....so theres absolutely no trace of oil. Run the engine with out riding........carefully observe the leak area.
After it clean one technique is spray white talc powder in the leak area. This gives a clear visual trace of the leak area.
Riding blows the oil down and back.......giving false information on the actual leak origin.

Last edited:
There was a thread or two long ago about water pump replacement difficulties. I will look for the threads. The way I remember it, the service manual says that the pump can be removed with the engine in the frame, but the reality was that there is a bolt that may or may not be too long to be able to extract. Success was based on whether this one bolt happened to clear or not clear the frame on your particular NC. There were suggestions to just cut the old bolt off, and during reinstall of the pump, use a slightly shorter new bolt. I don’t have the service manual available to me now to be able to confirm the pump removal instructions.

Perhaps the bolt is simply loosened from its grip on the head and then it can come off with the pump while still in situ in it ? Having said that, the only issues I have ever had with a Honda water pump (Silverwing) is coolant leakage.

This must not be engine oil in the area of the water pump. By design, the cooling channels in the engine block are separated from the oil channels.
In very rare situations, the coolant can mix with oil if the engine head gasket breaks, but I am not sure if this is possible with this NC.

This must not be engine oil in the area of the water pump. By design, the cooling channels in the engine block are separated from the oil channels.
In very rare situations, the coolant can mix with oil if the engine head gasket breaks, but I am not sure if this is possible with this NC.
While I have not removed an NC water pump, I understand that the pump is driven directly by the camshaft. The camshaft is lubricated with engine oil. Thus I would expect there to be an oil seal at the point where the camshaft
drives the water pump. Whether that hypothetical oil seal was ever known to leak, or where the oil would go if it leaked, I do not know.

While I have not removed an NC water pump, I understand that the pump is driven directly by the camshaft. The camshaft is lubricated with engine oil. Thus I would expect there to be an oil seal at the point where the camshaft
drives the water pump. Whether that hypothetical oil seal was ever known to leak, or where the oil would go if it leaked, I do not know.
Yes, you are right. There is possible oil leak. I just haven't noticed the O-ring underneath. Sorry.

Water pump.jpg

Hi all, I've got a 2013 NC700XD. 45000 miles. Daily commuter. Had very few problems with it, until now.

Last week I noticed a 20cm (8in) sized puddle of oil on the garage floor. Checked all around and found oil splattered around the joint of a rubber tube where it joins the water pump (red circle in the diagram attached)
I topped up with oil, it took a good 500ml (pint) and went for a short ride. Came back and my left shin was covered in oil spray.

Took it to the local sports motorbike garage (they don't see many NC's but the nearest dealer is 20miles away). He wants to take off the water pump and check the gasket/seal. To do this he says he has to drop/take out the engine because the frame is in the way. He is getting back to me with a quote (expect ££££). I'm looking for advice.
1) Has anyone seen this before?
2) do you really have to drop the engine or has anyone seen the water pump removed with engine in situ
3) can anyone recommend garage/dealer in mid Surrey UK who you'd trust to fix.

See below pic (not my bike). Red circle is where the oil splatter around the pipe is.

Any help appreciated. Matt

See attached View attachment 41694
I facing the same problem. My NC only about 1 year and notice the leakage and confirm it leaking through the location which the shaft drive the water pump , i had change both o-ring but after a few month it leak again. The water can be taken down and do not require to down the engine but it takr some time to twist the water angle before it can be rrmove.
So far have u solve the leaking problem. If yes, how is being done?

Will this be yet another thread where the OP poses questions, then is never heard from again?

Back