• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil leak

telecam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed a small amount of oil discharge from one of the overflow tubes underneath the engine. Should that be a concern? My engine oil level is normal.

Oil leak.jpg

Actually, just checked in the service manual, that hose is the gas tank drain and after further inspection, the oil is actually coming from the engine. I'll remove the left plastic fairing and take a closer look...

Has your motorcycle been down on its side at all lately, as in all the way in the ground like you dropped your bike?

That drain hose drains from the area around the gas cap. In case you spill any fuel there when refueling, the plastic collar (for lack of a better term) channels it to a drain hose, which is that hose.

Maybe your drain bolt wasn't quite tightened, or the crush washer has been re-used and over-crushed? Check the oil filter, too, to see whether the gasket on that isn't quite sealing. That can happen if the filter isn't snugged up properly, or sometimes the old gasket will stick to the base plate and you'll put the new filter on without noticing, resulting in there being 2 gaskets there. That'll often leak, sometimes suddenly and catastrophically.

Might just be a slightly loose bolt somewhere. There are other plugs and such with o-rings that _may_ be leaking if the o-rings aren't seated properly or something.

That drain hose drains from the area around the gas cap. In case you spill any fuel there when refueling, the plastic collar (for lack of a better term) channels it to a drain hose, which is that hose.

Maybe your drain bolt wasn't quite tightened, or the crush washer has been re-used and over-crushed? Check the oil filter, too, to see whether the gasket on that isn't quite sealing. That can happen if the filter isn't snugged up properly, or sometimes the old gasket will stick to the base plate and you'll put the new filter on without noticing, resulting in there being 2 gaskets there. That'll often leak, sometimes suddenly and catastrophically.

Might just be a slightly loose bolt somewhere. There are other plugs and such with o-rings that _may_ be leaking if the o-rings aren't seated properly or something.

Spot on. And any time you see oil like that under a bike it should be of immediate concern. Should be fairly easy to pinpoint where it's coming from once you get the fairings off of it. It could be something simple as a loose oil pan bolt (not the drain plug). Could be something major also. I'm betting something simple though. Either around drain plug, loose oil pan bolt, or from around oil filter.

Have you changed the oil lately or had someone do it for you? How about bottoming out on anything like if you was to take it offroad?

There's a crankcase breather hose that's normally plugged close to the radiator (it's noted in the owner's manual). if the plug's worked it's way free you'd get oil escaping.

So, I eventually took the bike to service to address the persistent oil leak and as I was suspecting after visual inspection, the shifting motor seal was the culprit. It was replaced along with the shifting motor by my dealer last time the bike was in the shop following a long struggle with a DCT issue. They said it was bad and kindly replaced it under warranty.

Last edited:
Back