• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil Leak

oyashirochama

Reaction score
Visit site
Have an oil leak by the lower back area of the transmission case wondering whats causing it, ive dropped the bike a few times with nothing like this happening before, dropped it once in soft dirt and it has a thimble amount of oil leaking if the engine is running and stopped for several minutes. no problems with low oil so far though, taking it in for warranty check.

A universal motorcycle problem is leaking shift shaft seals. If the shaft was bent on a fall, the seal can leak. Or they can leak just from normal wear. Take off the black plastic cover behind the shifter and inspect where the shift shaft enters the engine case.

If the leak is at the shift lever seal, replace the shift lever seal. If the leak is at the casing there is no seal. Just take off the casing, clean every thing well, apply Hondabond HT very thin to the casing edges, and replace the casing to stop that leak.

You might not have a leak at all !!

You might want to clean up the "Leaking" area to see if it is really leaking or too much lube from the chains lube. I tend to lube my chains a lot and lots of oil gather around that area and mix with dirt and what not...

Turns out it was one of the bolts that go into the oil chamber things near the top of the transmission there's 2 on the DCT model they face downwards, not sure how it was leaking but it was the inner one, the outer one i would have expected since it could have gotten tweaked on a hit when it fell but nope it was the inner, traced the oil trail back, ran it today after tightening it up and putting a little sealant around the bolt just in case(the outer edge not in the threads) so it wouldn't leak. no indication of leaking to so far but the oil still on the exhaust needs to be cleaned or ran till it burns off, gives a very bad smell atm.

Turns out it was one of the bolts that go into the oil chamber things near the top of the transmission there's 2 on the DCT model they face downwards

"oil chamber things near the top of the transmission" ? I'm lost on that one lol.

Which side of the bike? Are we talking the little 8mm bolts that hold the clutch side case on? Or the bolts that hold the DCT clutch oil filter cover on?

I am with LA_NC700X on this one, clean evereything well and double check. I had the same symptoms some time ago and conclusion was it was coming from the chain lube.

Guys: He said on the back of the transmission case, and while I'm no mechanic, I'm pretty sure that it is UP FRONT since his bike is an AUTOMATIC. During the oil change, the DCT models also have a secondary oil filter and O-Ring that need to be changed, it happens to be up front on the right side.

It can be sometimes difficult to pinpoint the source of an oil leak because of gravity and also the wind blowing oil towards the back of the engine. I found it works best by washing the bike thoroughly, then running the engine with the bike on the centerstand and using a good flashlight to determine the origin of the leak. This could require the removal of lots of plastic so you can see everything clearly.

In my looking for DCT engine pictures, I discovered a curious thing that I never knew! The side case on the DCT isn't the actual case like on the non DCT models, but a cover! I did not know that.

Have you DCT folks ever removed the cover to poke around and look in there?

2012-Honda-NC700X-07.jpg

dct close up.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Quote Originally Posted by oyashirochama View Post
Right side of bike they are bolts in the middle of the transmission case, i don't believe they're for the filter.

The plate in the middle of the transmission case with two bolts is indeed for the filter. It is NOT the same as the oil filter, but it is a very small filter that needs to be changed with each oil filter change, along with an O-Ring. I've never looked at the manual 700x, so if it does have that plate, it must be a dummy plate, or where the Lion sits ready to be revved.

One of these two bolts had oil leaking from it it looked like, still leaking going to check again tonight/tomorrow. It only does it when its running at higher speeds. When its on the center stand it doesn't leak.

Attachments

• dct close up.jpg
    dct close up.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 151
Is the engine oil at the correct level? On Hondas, it is measured with the dipstick sitting on the threads in the side cover.

Last edited:
If oil is leaking in any situation, there is no other way - crankcase cover has to be taken off and re-sealed with RTV silicone.
I can't find in 2012 Service Manual torque values for cover bolts.(?!) That's very strange.
Does anybody have a newer Service Manual? It looks like a publisher error, not a first one.

View attachment 24005

View attachment 24006

Has the oil been changed recently? The filter that is under that cover needs to be put in a specific way (there aren't any threads on the filter), and wondering if the O-Ring was replaced or left off?

tightened the 2 bolts on the area i marked and the leak stopped so all seems good, slight smell now due to the oil that had leaked getting onto the exhaust but no new oil on it.

Back