• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ok, let's talk windscreen extensions.

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Gang,
Well, after lots of alterations, SERIOUS PAINT WORK, tire changes, electrical add-ons and more, I'm finally getting to actually ride my new-to-me NC750X DCT. It was used when I bought it obviously. It came with a Puig windscreen. It's around 20 3/4" (527mm) tall, bottom to top. What I find is, at speeds above oh, maybe 30+ mph, I'm getting progressive buffeting at my eye level and above. And, while I do ride on occasion WITHOUT a helmet, I still get the same amount of wind noise even with a helmet. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and have maybe a bit longer torso than maybe the average guy. So, I'm looking quite a bit above the top of that Puig wind screen.

Sooooo, this brings me to ask the question(s). I know this situation can and most likely will be, different for almost all riders since we've not all the same height, especially sitting on that seat. For those of you that have messed around with wind screen changes to various heights and sizes, can I ask of your results? Without actually testing various height wind screens, it seems it might be tough to actually calculate what the affect of a given height screen would be. I just sold my '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT and it had the stock windscreen on it and I had no such buffeting. I'm pretty sure it was a bit shorter than the Puig I have on this NC.

How about those *Clip-on* wind screen extensions? How do you like those? Noisy? Create odd eddies (wind oddities) behind them? Not worth it? Really made a difference? What? I appreciate any and all help here. I'm thinking to cure this situation, I'm either gonna get a shorter one, a longer one, or an extension.
Scott

P.S. Below is a pic of the bike with the Puig on it for your reference.

Attachments

• IMG_2283.PNG
    IMG_2283.PNG
    11.4 MB · Views: 72
I had one of the Puig clip on adjustable units on a Wunderlich windscreen for my BMW and it helped after fidgeting around with the angle to get the air to hit the top of my helmet so it was cleaner. I think it is a good option and pretty flexible. The only issue if is the existing screen is tall, some people have to work to look over it. I don't think that will be a problem for you.

The answer is Madstad. Made in sizes for different size riders it then offers a huge range of adjustability in height and rake. I like to ride with the face shield open and it gives a light wafting breeze around the face and helmet up to supra legal speeds.

I have the MRA X-Creen spoiler on a Madstad shield. It does improve the airflow. A downside is that it interferes with the view of the road surface right in front of the bike in certain situations. An upside is that it installs with no holes or damage to the windscreen, so if you don’t like it it is easily removed.

The best answer is the Madstad. If you really want to block the wind, get the biggest one they have, one or two sizes above their recommendation for your height. It can always be lowered. I am also 6' 2" and mine is too small IMO so I added a clip on as well. I reversed the mounting hardware so that it sits behind the main screen rather than in front to deflect more wind.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133772518498

If you decide to go with the clip-on, buy quality. I have purchased cheap models from Amazon and the optical quality was terrible, actually distractingly so even when not looking through it.

Well Gang,
I most certainly appreciate all the helpful responses here. My limited windscreen experiences are with 6 different Honda Goldwings and one Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. Now this one, the NC, has the Puig on it and I didn't get the factory one with the bike so, I don't have any experience with height of the factory one. I was actually quite happy with the factory one on my Africa Twin even though it was a shorty. I myself don't mind looking THROUGH a windshield. I can take it or leave it. I'm older and do prefer quieter and smoother riding so, when on my '18 Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag, I quite often put it up almost all the way. Doing that stops almost all the turbulence around my face.

But, I realize that the NC is no Goldwing so, completely eliminating ALL turbulence and wind without some gaudy looking GIANT windscreen ain't gonna happen. Each bike has its benefits and drawbacks. The NC is obviously a way sportier bike so, along with that comes WIND in the face etc. Shorter riders can get away with most optional taller windscreens. But if us taller dudes want total exclusion from the wind, putting such a tall windscreen on a bike like the NC to me, just looks hokey. But, each person/rider needs to satisfy their needs and desires.

So, I'm going to take in all your great suggestions and narrow down what will work. I most certainly thank all of you for helping me here. I sure like this NC750X DCT. It's obviously not nearly as comfortable to ride as my Wing but, that's a given. It's a totally different bike for somewhat different purposes and uses but, can be used for whatever you choose. Now, just have to figure out what kind of cruising/freeway pegs I might be able to find.
Scott

Alright fella
Just took a look at your bike (which looks great) and separate to your screen and given your height you may want to add:
Rox Speed FX Pivot Handlebar 2" Riser 7/8"Handlebar Black 1R-P2SS
SW Motech ION footrest kit (which you can lower 2cm)
Also YouTube Channel Honda NC750X Stuff: Seat Slope Adjustment
and it will make a hell of a difference to your comfort.

Last Madstad plug. The design lifts high pressure air flow over the helmet while the shield itself is no taller than the height of the rider's upper lip. You look over it at all times. There's no WIND in the face but there is a nice wafting breeze.

Alright fella
Just took a look at your bike (which looks great) and separate to your screen and given your height you may want to add:
Rox Speed FX Pivot Handlebar 2" Riser 7/8"Handlebar Black 1R-P2SS
SW Motech ION footrest kit (which you can lower 2cm)
Also YouTube Channel Honda NC750X Stuff: Seat Slope Adjustment
and it will make a hell of a difference to your comfort.
Hello hoyden,
I surely thank you for those suggestions. #1, I already have 1.5" risers and they even kick the bars back some. #2, I've looked at the lowering foot pegs and while they may move my feet down an inch or so, to me that would not be worth the money due to the fact that there's not much gain there, at least in my opinion. I myself would really like some form of freeway pegs. I haven't really done any investigation on those so, I don't know what's out there. #3, I've seen one or two vids on seat height alterations and they might be something I might look into. I also might look into taking the seat apart to either add some shaped cushioning to the front end to add some slope that might curve off the "sliding forward" affect.

No doubt about it, the "comfort" of the NC, especially pre-'22's, does need some enhancement. Honda put out a bike for the masses. They built a durable seat that maybe appeases some, but certainly not all. The windshield is a very small one but, it might work for riders that maybe around 5'5" or so but how tall is the average rider of an NC? I'm not a fan of the placement of the foot pegs, too far back for me. But, I tolerate it. As stated, I may look into some form of freeway pegs. Thanks for your very nice comment on my newly rejuvenated bike.
Scott

I am the same height and also use the largest Madstad.
If I ride with my clear visor up, it seems to smooth the airflow over the helmet and the ride is quiet.
With the visor down, it gets noisy. So, most of the time, my tinted visor is down and the clear one is up.

Hey Gang,
Well, after lots of alterations, SERIOUS PAINT WORK, tire changes, electrical add-ons and more, I'm finally getting to actually ride my new-to-me NC750X DCT. It was used when I bought it obviously. It came with a Puig windscreen. It's around 20 3/4" (527mm) tall, bottom to top. What I find is, at speeds above oh, maybe 30+ mph, I'm getting progressive buffeting at my eye level and above. And, while I do ride on occasion WITHOUT a helmet, I still get the same amount of wind noise even with a helmet. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and have maybe a bit longer torso than maybe the average guy. So, I'm looking quite a bit above the top of that Puig wind screen.

Sooooo, this brings me to ask the question(s). I know this situation can and most likely will be, different for almost all riders since we've not all the same height, especially sitting on that seat. For those of you that have messed around with wind screen changes to various heights and sizes, can I ask of your results? Without actually testing various height wind screens, it seems it might be tough to actually calculate what the affect of a given height screen would be. I just sold my '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT and it had the stock windscreen on it and I had no such buffeting. I'm pretty sure it was a bit shorter than the Puig I have on this NC.

How about those *Clip-on* wind screen extensions? How do you like those? Noisy? Create odd eddies (wind oddities) behind them? Not worth it? Really made a difference? What? I appreciate any and all help here. I'm thinking to cure this situation, I'm either gonna get a shorter one, a longer one, or an extension.
Scott

P.S. Below is a pic of the bike with the Puig on it for your reference.
Scott,
I have a 2023 750DCT with an aftermarket Puig windscreen installed. I too experienced the buffeting you mentioned and proceeded to make the mods as discussed in:

Take a look and see if this might be worth considering to alleviate your buffeting. It worked for me.

Scott,
I have a 2023 750DCT with an aftermarket Puig windscreen installed. I too experienced the buffeting you mentioned and proceeded to make the mods as discussed in:

Take a look and see if this might be worth considering to alleviate your buffeting. It worked for me.
Hey rvan,
I most certainly appreciate you trying to help here and linking that thread. However, based on what you state your height is, I can see how the Puig really helped you. But, I'm 6'2 1/2" and my torso is slightly taller than the average guy that is that tall. That means I sit higher than the average guy, that is the same height, sitting on the same bike. I did some research on the part number of my Puig and coudn't find any specs on it. So, I don't know if it's the tallest Puig or any other brand made for the NC750X. So, I simply ordered up an extension and we'll see what kind of results that produces. I don't like sending things back if I can help it. Hopefully it will assist enough that I can tolerate the ride without too much stress. Thank you again.
Scott

The answer is Madstad. Made in sizes for different size riders it then offers a huge range of adjustability in height and rake. I like to ride with the face shield open and it gives a light wafting breeze around the face and helmet up to supra legal speeds.
100% agree. My Madstad is comfortable. The secret is the standoff which creates an updraft inside the windshield and the little separate wings. It’s different by design and excellent wind tunnel testing.

Madstad, though I took a chance on the taller Puig and for once a stock shield works well on my 2018. Wind (and bugs) hit my helmet about 2" above the helmet shield and no buffeting. At 6' and 30" inseam I look just over the top of the Puig screen. I've had Madstads on several bikes and have been pleased.

Apparently I must have a shorter Puig. My eye level is considerably higher than the top of the Puig. If I had to guess, since I don't have scientific measurements, I'd say my eyes are around 5"-6" above the top. Can't wait to receive and install my extension and see what that does for me.
Scott

My hobby used to be trying to get my V-Strom’s buffeting gone. Sorry to say I did not like the Maadstad. I created a holder with a Givi screen. After much trial and error nailed it. Quiet and no buffeting. The secret was in the angle and distance from original placement (ie, moving it further away from the rider). My NC is just ok with the stock screen but ok for summer. When the weather gets a bit cooler I’ll start up my hobby again and will report back.

Well gang,
I received my Puig windscreen extension today. Not much to say about it, it's an extension that clips onto the top of whatever windscreen you have. In my case, I have a Puig. When I unpackaged it, I do what I normally do in terms of checking all the shipped parts, against the parts list, if there is one. In this case, Puig screwed up. They didn't give me any screws to assemble the clamp part of the extension, good move Puig!!!!!!

But, me being me, I've got about a zillion different sized stainless steel screws hanging around. The parts list calls for (4) 6mm x 12mm plastic screws. Well folks, I can tell you, I've done a few thousand precise drilling and assembly of fasteners in my life and there is NO WAY ON THIS PLANET that 6mm screws would fit into the plastic holes they're intended for. I know, I tried just for the heck of it and nope, ain't going in those holes.

So, I broke out my batch of smaller stainless screws and determined that flat head, 10/32 x 3/8" would do the job. With a minor amount of pressure, those stainless screws threaded themselves right into those holes. One more thing. The holes in the extension are too big for screws that hold the two halves together. That means that the extension can *float* somewhat in different directions until all four screws are tightened. And even then, you don't have the ability to center each screw in each hole. Sooooo, me being me, I simply grabbed some small O-rings and placed them around the screws and the outer diameter of those O-rings fit perfectly in the holes in the extension which centered each screw accordingly.

And finally, Puig issues ZERO instructions on how to actually adjust the angle of the connection points. For those that are not familiar with them, they are about 2" long and look like a basic figure 8. And that means there's two pivital points in each one with teeth that intersect. For the life of me, I could not get those two pivot points to pivot and tweak. I figured I was gonna break something if I tried hard enough. Soooo, I did what I do a lot now and that was to resort to Youtube. Well, the first video I picked showed a gent simply forcing those joints to pivot. Hmmm. Well, I thought what the heck, go for it. The worst that can happen is I break it. Then, it would be a matter of sending it all back because I was not instructed on how to make those pivots work.

But, that didn't happen. They actually click, tooth by tooth. It's amazing how much force is needed to make them click and adjust. But, it's on there and mounted now. Now for a test ride.
Scott

Back