• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ok, let's talk windscreen extensions.

Moderator moved thread to NC750X Modifications.

I just received the Puig extension as well yesterday, and in just the stock position where the extension goes just straight out and not really up, it does a fine job of filtering out buffeting and noise, and I'm 5' 7" with 29" inseam. I thought these extensions only help taller folks but it seems I was mistaken there. I've now pivoted it up, to go above the stock windscreen, I have to test if this further lowers wind noise or not.

Well gang,
I received my Puig windscreen extension today. Not much to say about it, it's an extension that clips onto the top of whatever windscreen you have. In my case, I have a Puig. When I unpackaged it, I do what I normally do in terms of checking all the shipped parts, against the parts list, if there is one. In this case, Puig screwed up. They didn't give me any screws to assemble the clamp part of the extension, good move Puig!!!!!!

But, me being me, I've got about a zillion different sized stainless steel screws hanging around. The parts list calls for (4) 6mm x 12mm plastic screws. Well folks, I can tell you, I've done a few thousand precise drilling and assembly of fasteners in my life and there is NO WAY ON THIS PLANET that 6mm screws would fit into the plastic holes they're intended for. I know, I tried just for the heck of it and nope, ain't going in those holes.

So, I broke out my batch of smaller stainless screws and determined that flat head, 10/32 x 3/8" would do the job. With a minor amount of pressure, those stainless screws threaded themselves right into those holes. One more thing. The holes in the extension are too big for screws that hold the two halves together. That means that the extension can *float* somewhat in different directions until all four screws are tightened. And even then, you don't have the ability to center each screw in each hole. Sooooo, me being me, I simply grabbed some small O-rings and placed them around the screws and the outer diameter of those O-rings fit perfectly in the holes in the extension which centered each screw accordingly.

And finally, Puig issues ZERO instructions on how to actually adjust the angle of the connection points. For those that are not familiar with them, they are about 2" long and look like a basic figure 8. And that means there's two pivital points in each one with teeth that intersect. For the life of me, I could not get those two pivot points to pivot and tweak. I figured I was gonna break something if I tried hard enough. Soooo, I did what I do a lot now and that was to resort to Youtube. Well, the first video I picked showed a gent simply forcing those joints to pivot. Hmmm. Well, I thought what the heck, go for it. The worst that can happen is I break it. Then, it would be a matter of sending it all back because I was not instructed on how to make those pivots work.

But, that didn't happen. They actually click, tooth by tooth. It's amazing how much force is needed to make them click and adjust. But, it's on there and mounted now. Now for a test ride.
Scott
Hi Scott
That was the result - Succes ?
/ Henrik

Hey Henrik,
Well Sir, to be as honest as I can, I'm not 100% sure the addition of this $100 Puig "windscreen" extension is an answer to my issues. I can't speak for many other riders who've installed and use it but, at least for me, I cannot say a big WOW! I know and understand that this motorcycle, ANY MOTORCYCLE with such a small windshield, is going to allow for multiple avenues of air reaching the rider. You can't expect Honda Goldwing Windshield performance from a windscreen that's one third the size in both width and height, ain't gonna happen.

And, rider torso heights are all different too. The actual eye level is quite different from rider to rider. The addition of that extension could have considerably different and more drastic affects on riders with even 1" difference in eye height above the seat. Speeds, cross winds, head winds, rider positioning, i.e. slouching and not sitting straight up, maybe leaning a bit towards the windshield more than most riders and more will have an effect.

With my eye height, riding position etc. again, just not sure this was worth the "investment" just yet.
Scott

Here's another little deal. Those of you that have read my initial post, know I was shorted the four plastic screws that actually mount the extension to the supplied adjustment arms. But, me being me, I have a few thousand screws hanging around and found four that would do the trick. Situation averted.

I notified Puig via email of the absence of the four plastic mounting screws. It took them about 4 days got get back to me. They wanted a copy of the sales receipt. No problems, I emailed them the Amazon order. Another 4 days and there reply was this. "Email received. We do have the screws that you need. We will look for them and prepare them so it can be shipped this week."
"We will LOOK for them"????? What, you keep them in a safety deposit box in a national security bank???? Just seems like an odd response. If a person/rider is not resourceful, and maybe lives in an apartment or in a situation where he/she does not have access to alternate ways of fixing things, then they're shi....out of luck and have to have a $100 windscreen just sitting around for weeks until a company can mail them four lousy screws. What a crock.
Scott

Hey Henrik,
Well Sir, to be as honest as I can, I'm not 100% sure the addition of this $100 Puig "windscreen" extension is an answer to my issues. I can't speak for many other riders who've installed and use it but, at least for me, I cannot say a big WOW! I know and understand that this motorcycle, ANY MOTORCYCLE with such a small windshield, is going to allow for multiple avenues of air reaching the rider. You can't expect Honda Goldwing Windshield performance from a windscreen that's one third the size in both width and height, ain't gonna happen.

And, rider torso heights are all different too. The actual eye level is quite different from rider to rider. The addition of that extension could have considerably different and more drastic affects on riders with even 1" difference in eye height above the seat. Speeds, cross winds, head winds, rider positioning, i.e. slouching and not sitting straight up, maybe leaning a bit towards the windshield more than most riders and more will have an effect.

With my eye height, riding position etc. again, just not sure this was worth the "investment" just yet.
Scott
Fire up,

No need for the $100 windscreen extension when you can get them for $18 each on Ali.

See my earlier post on windscreen extension and the "winglets" I added to my Puig touring windscreen.
It's as close as I can get to Goldwing performance for a lot less money.

Back