• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

ongoing tire saga : having trouble wrapping my head around how the tire spacers will help.

RubyRider

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you following my saga of trying to mount my new wheels properly : I have figured out the issue. I have mismatched spacers on the front tire (one is smaller and the other is bigger). According to honda, the front wheel spacers have the same part number so they should be the same size. I have ordered a new set. The rear wheel is the more "interesting" problem. I seem to have misplaced the right rear spacer. I am almost positive I didn't but since it was working before that is the only logical conlusion I can come to. Without the spacers, the rear wheel brake rotor is being caught by the caliper mounting bracket. Something that doesn'tmake since to me is if the tire is already having clearance issues, how is a spacer gonna help that. Can someone post a picture of a rear NC wheel? I am a visual guy and and I think seeing it, will make more sense to me. Regardless, I have ordered a set of rear wheel spacers as well. Honda pays people way smarter than me to engineer this stuff so they know something I don't.

What do you mean by “tire having clearance issues”? Does it not fit between the swingarm legs without rubbing? Did you buy a 160/60R17 tire?

As for spacers, the right spacer alone will determine the relationship between the caliper and the brake disk. The combination of all spacers, sprocket carrier, and caliper mount bracket will determine the location of the wheel within the swingarm.

Last edited:
What do you mean by “tire having clearance issues”? Does it not fit between the swingarm legs without rubbing? Did you buy a 160/60R17 tire?
It does fit, the tire itself clears, but the rotor is getting stuck on the caliper bracket if i torque it down.

It does fit, the tire itself clears, but the rotor is getting stuck on the caliper bracket if i torque it down.
Then the right spacer (between the wheel bearing and the caliper mounting bracket) is incorrect or missing. In the illustration below, Honda doesn’t show the caliper bracket, but it sits between the spacer (collar) #5, and the swingarm.055BF454-CF99-47B5-8DD0-FFA3F667BA90.jpeg

Then the right spacer (between the wheel bearing and the caliper mounting bracket) is incorrect or missing.
Right, that's what I said. What I am failing to wrap my head around is how a spacer will help because in my mind, the way im visualising it, the spacer will push the wheel even further into the bracket.

Attached is a photo of my NC’s right side axle spacer and caliper bracket. C6B5B82D-806D-46BA-9DFC-43884249D16F.jpeg

If you had tightened the caliper bracket against the wheel with the spacer absent, it might have pressed the bracket against the wheel bearing grease seal. I suggest checking the grease seal for damage.

Does anyone know the width of the brake side rear spacer (as pictured in post #6 above)? I want to pick up one at the hardware store versus waiting on shipping. Thanks

Does anyone know the width of the brake side rear spacer (as pictured in post #6 above)? I want to pick up one at the hardware store versus waiting on shipping. Thanks
Sorry, I can’t help with the width dimension until next time I change the rear tire. The diameter of the spacer is critical for mating with the grease seal, and that grease seal is critical for protecting the right rear wheel bearing. The right rear bearing has a high failure rate as it is. Are you able to find an exact match inner/outer diameter spacer in whatever width you desire? If so, you have an amazing local hardware store.

Last edited:
Back