• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Options for new exhaust

Marcofd89

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is either looking to get a new exhaust and needs some info or if anyone has gotten to try out, listen, price a current exhaust. I am currently looking to upgrade and wanted to see what the experienced have to say. I have a good hookup and I'd like to take advantage of it.

Side note ... I took the stock muffler off to see what it sounded like and that's what started this whole thing! I knew not to leave it off because I'm sure it's not good for it to run so free flowing like that.

There are many opinions, but over the years with many of my bikes I paid high dollars for name brand tuned exhaust for my ZX7's, 900RR, and GSXR's. These were full systems header through can, and they made power and were worth it. Once bikes went with FI and "Slip-on's" became the standard... honestly any pipe you know is decently made will work.

I bought the Danmoto Angled black exhaust for like $160 for my NC. The performance change will be pretty much nothing as the FI computer will slowly tune the motor to match the lessened back pressure and resume normal tune. (That being said, you could run the NC with no exhaust and it would not harm your machine)

The sound difference between the $160 Danmoto and an $580 Akropovic my friend has on his NC is absolutely Nill. He actually was so mad that my pipe sounded just like his.

The NC is a pretty thuddy deep sounding bike with no exhaust, so ANY can with a 600cc volume is going to sound pretty much the same.

All this being said, get what you like.. if name brands make you happy, I'm sure any of them will sound great. If not the Danmoto is cheap and very nice for the money.

I got a cheap slip on and without the baffle it sounds like a slightly quitter version of my 98 600XRL that had a common aftermarket (the PO installed it and I can't remember the name) but I like that thumper sound, with the baffle similar sound but half as loud. I put the slip on my NC700X and 15-20 miles down the road the engine light came on, turn it on and off it went away, came back on, when I got to work I disconnected the negative terminal in the battery and left the key on for awhile, came back or it all back together started it up and let it idle for around 30 min (don't touch the throttle during this time) now it's fine

If you are handy and have the tools to weld stainless then yoh can buy million different slip on mufflers on ebay or amazon.
Some may require more work than others to fit but there are a ton to choose from for less than $100.
Many run less than $75
This is the route I went but have not installed it yet so I can't say how it sounds.

I got a Beowulf slip on for mine about 2 months after I bought my NC. Even ordering it from the U.K. with shipping, it was pretty cheap. It's been on mine for 14k miles now and looks/sounds great as the day I got it. Liked them so much that I got a set for my Vstrom.

Great communication and great service and even shipping from London to the U.S. it comes fast.

This is the one I got and, like I said, couldn't be happier.

NC700_Side_zpsm4f2n7jo.jpg

Last edited:
There are many opinions, but over the years with many of my bikes I paid high dollars for name brand tuned exhaust for my ZX7's, 900RR, and GSXR's. These were full systems header through can, and they made power and were worth it. Once bikes went with FI and "Slip-on's" became the standard... honestly any pipe you know is decently made will work.

I bought the Danmoto Angled black exhaust for like $160 for my NC. The performance change will be pretty much nothing as the FI computer will slowly tune the motor to match the lessened back pressure and resume normal tune. (That being said, you could run the NC with no exhaust and it would not harm your machine)

The sound difference between the $160 Danmoto and an $580 Akropovic my friend has on his NC is absolutely Nill. He actually was so mad that my pipe sounded just like his.

The NC is a pretty thuddy deep sounding bike with no exhaust, so ANY can with a 600cc volume is going to sound pretty much the same.

All this being said, get what you like.. if name brands make you happy, I'm sure any of them will sound great. If not the Danmoto is cheap and very nice for the money.

I was actually really considering the Danmoto because it sounds identical to the IXIL that's like 300 something and by the YouTube videos they sounds pretty much the same. Thank you everyone for the feedback! Let's see some more!

I think it all depends on the sound you are looking for and the volume of sound you want. To my ear from listening to everything I could find online there is a difference in tone and volume of sound. So I think you need to decide that up front. If you want it louder then there are certainly exhausts that have a louder sound. I went with the Delkevic exhaust because the sound was deeper, but not loud with the baffle in. I am finding that is just right for me while riding down the highway and does not get on my nerves. It is the constant noise at higher steady RPM's that drives me nuts. I have not taken out the baffle on the Delkevic to see how loud it gets.

The rule of thumb is the smaller the can the more volume you are going to get. So I went with a larger can for the more subdued sound. It is nice and the Delkevic is also very affordable.

like the Dan moto but no center stand stop is a problem for me ,don,t have a welder and too cheap to buy a high dollar slip on just for sound.

I went with the Yoshimura R77 Slip-On Exhaust. I know it wasn't the cheapest, but they have a great reputation for quality and that is important. They also have it set up to support the Center Stand which was critical for me. Fit and Finish is awesome and with the baffle (included) installed, it is the perfect volume for me.

More info on my choice: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...nboxing-installation.html?highlight=Yoshimura

like the Dan moto but no center stand stop is a problem for me ,don,t have a welder and too cheap to buy a high dollar slip on just for sound.

They have bolt-on stops available from japan on webike.net, but they're pretty expensive (before shipping). They look like they maybe function like those door stops you install in a door hinge, but smaller. If you're handy, you could probably construct one yourself.

The 2016-17 NC700X has a re-designed exhaust. It sounds good to me...throaty but not too loud. Has anyone seen a comparison video (with good audio) of BOTH the pre- and post-2016 exhaust sounds?

Another win for the Beowulf.. has a nice little bracket with a rubber stoper that perfectly accommodates the center stand.

Great customer service too. I had an issue with the connecting pipes on the dual muffler set for my Vee. They sent me a replacement set immediately (completely free, of course).

Did a quick mock up of my $59 ebay muffler.

It's pretty small but I was really surprised how quiet it was until you got it up in the rev range.
I might even be able to take the bolt in baffle out that might make it a little louder should I desire.

It's just slipped on at the moment with nothing really holding it on.
I will get a vid once I get it permanently mounted.

The 2016-17 NC700X has a re-designed exhaust. It sounds good to me...throaty but not too loud. Has anyone seen a comparison video (with good audio) of BOTH the pre- and post-2016 exhaust sounds?

Wow - I look at your list of bikes, and while it is more touring-oriented than mine, after two Yamaha Trail-80's, my first "real moto" was a brand new 1970 Yamaha R5 I bought for $800. I've owned eight Hondas over the last 20 years and love their bikes. Currently I've got a 2014 VFR800F and a brand new NC700X - a great pairing. BTW, I rented a GL-1800 several years ago and plan to buy one when I get a little "older"... :)

Wow - I look at your list of bikes, and while it is more touring-oriented than mine, after two Yamaha Trail-80's, my first "real moto" was a brand new 1970 Yamaha R5 I bought for $800. I've owned eight Hondas over the last 20 years and love their bikes. Currently I've got a 2014 VFR800F and a brand new NC700X - a great pairing. BTW, I rented a GL-1800 several years ago and plan to buy one when I get a little "older"... :)

Thanks. I was fortunate to experience riding (and constantly maintaining!) that two-stroke Yamaha R5, early in my riding years. Here's a cool quote from Wikipedia: "In the early 70s, a 350cc engine was considered large for a two-stroke engine. Two-stroke street motorcycles from Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki collectively developed a reputation as "giant-killers". Even though four-stroke motorcycles engines (not chassis) were being developed rapidly, during the 70s, two-strokes were able to best them in straight-line performance at times. Because of the lighter weight of the engine and chassis, two-strokes were typically dominant on curved roads."

Speaking of exhausts, that R5 was loud! Here we are, back in 1978, while I was stationed at the US Navy Base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii:

Lee-and-Paco-1977-Hawaii.jpg

Back