• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Other high mpg bikes?

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
So one of the huge perks for me is the 68 mpg I can get from the NC. Are there any other bikes above 350 cc that even come close? The only other I found was Royal Enfield claims about 58 mpg on their interceptor 650.
Seems like anything else with decent power is 50 or less.

I got in the low 50s with my CBR600 when I was just commuting up and down the freeway - highway. Of course, that could go WAY down with a little aggression.
(-:

My 805 cc 2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard averages 55 mpg doing 70 on the superslab...and she has over 102,000 miles on her now...I have gotten my moneys worth from her...bought her new in Oct 2007 with 1 mile on the odo...

The single cylinder BMW F650GS had very similar consumption and about the same horsepower. The build quality wasn't as high

Does anyone know the real world mileage from the WeeStroms? Aren't they close to the NC?

The single cylinder BMW F650GS had very similar consumption and about the same horsepower. The build quality wasn't as high

Does anyone know the real world mileage from the WeeStroms? Aren't they close to the NC?
Fuelly entries suggest that the WeeStroms get around 53-54 mpg in the real world. https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/dl650a_v-strom_abs

I believe the rider demographic for a particular motorcycle may result in certain models to be ridden differently than other models. In other words, the fuel economy may not be driven solely by the motorcycle’s design or capability, but also by the riding habits of the riders that motorcycle model might attract.

Last edited:

Yep, I had the bmw G650gs, same as the F650Gs single cylinder bikes....The 2009 G650gs got around mid-60s at 70mph; had about the same horsepower (50ish), checking valves on that thing sucked (shim and bucket) but the air cleaner change was a 10 minute job at most....

The new Honda cb350 hness gets 90+ mpg.
What is the source for that information? Are we taking in terms of US or imperial gallons?

Being that I believe it is 348cc, it falls outside the OP’s requested engine size. Horsepower is reported to be around 21, so it’s not comparable to the NC In power.

I've read that a DRZ400 can acheive upwards of 70mpg with a proper carburetor, an expanded airbox, and upgraded header+exhaust. I have not seen definitive proof.

I also haven't looked for it

Several of us here have achieved over 90 mpg on the NC700X, on runs made with the goal of maximizing efficiency. What mpg a bike can do, and what it does in routine “normal” riding may be entirely different.

Fuelly entries suggest that the WeeStroms get around 53-54 mpg in the real world. https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/dl650a_v-strom_abs

I believe the rider demographic for a particular motorcycle may result in certain models to be ridden differently than other models. In other words, the fuel economy may not be driven solely by the motorcycle’s design or capability, but also by the riding habits of the riders that motorcycle model might attract.
I had a fun moment with Will of Willville Motorcycle Camp when I rolled into Willville one time. This was 2013 and he had not seen an NC up close or talked to an owner yet. He asked if it got as good mileage as people claimed, said he didn't believe the claims, and proclaimed "I get 50-55 mpg on my Wee all the time running up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway !" I had just run 90 something miles down from Buchanan VA on VA 43 and about 75 miles on the BRP before filling up at the gas station right down the road from the campground. 43 is serious fun as was the BRP. Back then I was recording every tank and keeping receipts for a daily Fuelly entry. I pulled out the gas receipt from the 43/BRP run and said "I got 77.5 from Buchanan".

So one of the huge perks for me is the 68 mpg I can get from the NC. Are there any other bikes above 350 cc that even come close? The only other I found was Royal Enfield claims about 58 mpg on their interceptor 650.
Seems like anything else with decent power is 50 or less.
What about ZERO electric motorcycles? Granted they have somewhat limited range, but they are powerful, fast and economical. Albeit not cheap to buy with a mid-priced model at roughly $15K

What about ZERO electric motorcycles? Granted they have somewhat limited range, but they are powerful, fast and economical. Albeit not cheap to buy with a mid-priced model at roughly $15K
No electric vehicles for me. Thanks for the unique idea though

I've ridden a Zero S electric motorcycle and other than the suspension being too stiff it was a great experience. Although there is nothing tactile to tell you it's 'alive". The first stop sign I came to I pulled up and thought the bike had died lol. Twisted the throttle and off it went. I think an electric would be great for local daily rides if they were priced more like an NC instead of being priced like a Gold Wing.

rzMIcQE.jpg

I've ridden a Zero S electric motorcycle and other than the suspension being too stiff it was a great experience. Although there is nothing tactile to tell you it's 'alive". The first stop sign I came to I pulled up and thought the bike had died lol. Twisted the throttle and off it went. I think an electric would be great for local daily rides if they were priced more like an NC instead of being priced like a Gold Wing.
This is my thought too, especially for city people doing commutes. I'm not sure I see one in my future as the typical rides here a long-ish. Lately I've been taking shorter rides, more like a commuter would ride. But living 6 miles outside of the closest town, and needing to ride 60mph on rural highways, the batteries tend to drain quickly. An electric with an 80 mile theoretical range may suit my city dwelling daughter very well but might be running dry for me. A 120 mile range would probably be more suitable, but that drives up the price.

There is a little $5000 electric that has caught my eye, it has a theoretical 80 mile range, claimed speed of 80mph. People well versed in math, rolling resistance and battery technology are suggesting it has a practical range of closer to 45-50 miles if any highway speeds are involved. It is a 15 mile ride to my local fencing club, most of that is on a 4 lane divided highway at 60mph. So that little $5000 electric might actually be pushing its limits if I just ride that 30 mile round trip at highway speeds and then make a couple stops off route.

Still there is serious potential for electric bikes for city dwelling commuters.

Back