• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Other than Hondabikepros external fuel storage.

Atomant

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi forumers. I am thinking other than Hondabikepros fuel storage on the back seat. Is there a temporary alternative now that I can carry extra fuel with me in the frunk? I am thinking of something like a fuel bag kinda thing that doesn't have a definite shape so it can just form with the shape of the frunk. A fuel bag that doesn't melt or deform like a plastic bottle would after a few hours of holding petrol. Please some suggestions will help me alot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought two of those, and tool tubes or "document holders" to mount and put them in. Haven't recieved the tool tubes yet so I can't post any pics of them mounted. Try using the search function on the forum for "MSR" fuel bottles. I think at least some one on here has already done this if not at least talked about it on the forum already.

Here's the link to the thread where I saw it.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/635-extreme-farkling-flat-luggage-rack-5.html

Knew it had to have been Beemerphile...

Anyways, it's on page 5 of that thread where he has mounted the tool tube (document holder) above his lisence plate. He also posts a link to where to get the tool tube for cheaper than if you got the MSR fuel bottle and tool tube set up from Twisted throttle.

Seen here:

Twisted Throttle Tool Tube w/ Mounting Kit - TwistedThrottle.com

If you search Twisted Throttles site though they do have other options other than the MSR fuel bottle as well.

Does anyone know if the cap on that fuel bottle is vented? I would think there would be expansion of the fuel vapors, especially when exposed to heat in the frunk. Expansion of the fuel vapors could be a problem if there is no place to vent it. Just thinking out loud (sort of).

I don't think that is an issue. They are advertised as having an "•Airtight seal allows fuel to be stored longer by preventing air from entering and degrading fuel" on most websites where they can be purchased. I think as long as you don't leave much vapor space in the bottle (for example fill it most of the way full without overflowing) there will be a minimum amout of vapors in there to expand. These bottles were originally designed for camping fuels which are lighter that pump gas. So it should be fine. Many other motorcyclists have been using these on other forums as well with much success.

Hi forumers. I am thinking other than Hondabikepros fuel storage on the back seat. Is there a temporary alternative now that I can carry extra fuel with me in the frunk? I am thinking of something like a fuel bag kinda thing that doesn't have a definite shape so it can just form with the shape of the frunk. A fuel bag that doesn't melt or deform like a plastic bottle would after a few hours of holding petrol. Please some suggestions will help me alot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Would be a brilliantly simple idea!

Does anyone know if the cap on that fuel bottle is vented? I would think there would be expansion of the fuel vapors, especially when exposed to heat in the frunk. Expansion of the fuel vapors could be a problem if there is no place to vent it. Just thinking out loud (sort of).

You have to leave enough room for the liquid/gas to expand. If you don't there's no room for the gas to go when the temperature rises, this could cause a failure/leak.
Fuel containers have a max fill line on them for a reason. You can see the label when you click on the picture to magnify it.
MSR Fuel Bottle with CRP Cap - 11 fl. oz. at REI.com

I don't think that is an issue. They are advertised as having an "•Airtight seal allows fuel to be stored longer by preventing air from entering and degrading fuel" on most websites where they can be purchased. I think as long as you don't leave much vapor space in the bottle (for example fill it most of the way full without overflowing) there will be a minimum amout of vapors in there to expand. These bottles were originally designed for camping fuels which are lighter that pump gas. So it should be fine. Many other motorcyclists have been using these on other forums as well with much success.

Actually, the opposite is true. There needs to be some headspace because the vapor is compressible but the liquid (which does expand when heated) is not. The bottle is pressure rated to handle it if not over-filled!

Try one of these,ours are mounted on luggage rack/top box but I will go out later and see if it fits in the frunk.

5atysuba.jpg

u5ubanan.jpg

ezury9ej.jpg

I am looking with attention on this post, what do you think about something like this :

Jerrican 5 L rouge

This kind of tank can be easily fixed with bungees on the top of the rack I have on my Givi Trekker. My idea is that in case of a fall the tank is properly fixed and won't move, even in case of a rear hit. Another possible place is the top of the side cases, also protect in case of fall.

B.R.

It doesn't fit in the frunk but could be strapped to tje seat and it holds 1.5 gallons and can be mounted in any direction.They cost about $30,I have a 2 gallon on my sidecar rig,it will be mounted on the trunk of the NC for the Deadhorse trip in June.
qy5y8ane.jpg

y6aqyven.jpg

hyga2yqu.jpg

damn my girl friend gonna like this one :) imagine she is sitting on top of this thing hahah and boom she goes balistic :)

It doesn't fit in the frunk but could be strapped to tje seat and it holds 1.5 gallons and can be mounted in any direction.They cost about $30,I have a 2 gallon on my sidecar rig,it will be mounted on the trunk of the NC for the Deadhorse trip in June.

I've seen a few of those mounted on the passenger peg location on a few bikes over on ADV. If you aren't carrying a passenger, that's not a bad way to go. Keeps the weight lower.

I've wondered if I could use my empty Sea Foam cans to hold gasoline. A couple in the frunk or strapped on the bike somehow, would give me
a little cushion to make it to my next fill up if I forget to keep an eye on the fuel gauge.

I've wondered if I could use my empty Sea Foam cans to hold gasoline. A couple in the frunk or strapped on the bike somehow, would give me
a little cushion to make it to my next fill up if I forget to keep an eye on the fuel gauge.

There are some special pressure and venting requirements for gasoline containers and closures because of the high vapor pressure they can build if they get hot. I would strongly recommend that you only use a container and closure system that was designed to contain gasoline. The downside of guessing wrong is too great.

There are some special pressure and venting requirements for gasoline containers and closures because of the high vapor pressure they can build if they get hot. I would strongly recommend that you only use a container and closure system that was designed to contain gasoline. The downside of guessing wrong is too great.

That sounds like good advice Beemerphile. Thank you.

Back