• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Overfilling Gas Tank

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone had trouble with overfilling the gas tank? The pump doesn't click off when full and gas goes everyplace. Very frightening.
Its impossible to look into the tank while filling and I've had this happen several times.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Had it happen. Some pumps not calibrated well for shut-off. So I had a rough idea to watch when I get up to what I think is near the top-off lip based on 60mpg worth of gas, and I feed the gas slower. But a year later I kind of got too involved in something else and it happened again. Now I'm twice vigilant.
; }

I never fill until the pump auto shuts off. I can see in the tank while I'm filling. When I see fuel, I slow the rate, then fill until anymore added fuel would run over the neck. Although Honda may caution not to, I never have any trouble filling it that full, and the fill level and range is always consistent. The only spashes might come from pumps that are improperly adjusted. I guess it just takes time and diligence to do it that way, but it's what I do.

Last edited:
I never fill until the pump auto shuts off. I can see in the tank while I'm filling. When I see fuel, I slow the rate, then fill until anymore added fuel would run over the neck. although Honda may caution not to, I never have any trouble filling it that full, and the fill level and range is always consistent. The only spashes might come from pumps that are improperly adjusted. I guess it just takes time and diligence to do it that way, but it's what I do.
Likewise. It's not like a 3.7 gallon tank takes that long to fill anyway, at most stations.

Had the same situation. stuck the hose way down in the tank, so it should have shut off long before filling the tank. It never did. Did'nt spill much, but scared me to death. Probably the only time I put it on auto-shut off. Won't do it again!

Don't stick the nozzle all the way in and you can see the fuel level as it rises near the top and can reduce flow to fill to the top. I've always filled every bike I own the same way. Really never figured this could even be an issue LOL.

Don't be like the Harley guy in that youtube vid where he sticks the nozzle in, sets it to auto pump and removes his hand, steps away, the pump doesn't cut off, overflows and runs right down on the head pipe, catches on fire, and burns his bike to the ground LOL

So it's 3.7 gallons, my flashing light always goes on way early, at most I've only been able to put 3 gallons in and that's seeing gas near filler cap
That sounds about right. I generally plan on a least 50 miles remaining when the bar starts flashing. I take note of the odometer when the flashing begins, which is at roughly 0.8 gallons left. I’ve put in 3.55 gallons on two occasions, but that was when I had spare fuel aboard as a backup.

I've never put more than 3 gallons in. I will generally end up pulling over and filling up every 2 to 3 hours just to stretch my legs. For me, that means I have 2 ticks left on the gauge average. I dont like seeing the flashing lights, but that is just me.

I usually fill up at half a tank or whenever I head for the barn. If I don't pay close attention, I've had it happen. Not sure if its how I'm holding the nozzle or what. I try to watch the pump to see how much I'm putting in. You can't see into the tank like I can on my other bikes.

I do not watch the pump display. I hold the nozzle against the side of the tank neck, inserted about 2-3 cm, and watch for the fuel level to appear. I can easily see the fuel level as it begins to enter the top of the tank, then I slow the delivery rate. I guess in rare cases if the fuel level was not visible because of poor lighting, I would grab a headlight out of the frunk.

Reactions: MZ5
In general, the pump auto-off isn't set up to work with motorcycle tanks.
In a car, you put the nozzle fully into the tank opening and when the fuel level gets up to the nozzle, it clicks off. This gives you a level of fuel that's one nozzle-length below the opening.
Since bike tanks don't have the long filler neck a car does, if you put the nozzle fully into the tank, you only get something around a half tank when the pump kicks off. If you lift the nozzle mostly out of the tank, the auto-off likely will not work properly.
The best (really, only) way to fill a bike tank is to watch the fuel level through the hole as you fill and release the handle before you spill.
I've never had any problems watching the fuel level in the tank of any bike I've ever filled (NC700, Ninja 300, a Buell, and a few Harleys).

I've done it a few times, then learned my lesson. More commonly, I'd stop paying attention and the nozzle would slowly back out of the tank until coming out completely and spraying everywhere.

Airplane fuel pumps don't usually have auto shut-offs, so you learn pretty quickly to watch it like a hawk.

A couple of days ago my 2012 NC700X ran out gas on the highway at 190.0 miles and managed to get to the break down lane. I think I would have made it but I didn't top off the gas tank on the last fill up. I got 1 gallon from the highway patrol and drove about 20 miles and filled up adding 2.8 + 1 gallon = 3.8 - .3 gallons traveled or about 3.5.

Attachments

• 018_Honda Out of Gas @ 190.0 miles.jpg
    018_Honda Out of Gas @ 190.0 miles.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 019_Honda NC700X 2012 Fuel Tank Capacity 3.7 gallons.jpg
    019_Honda NC700X 2012 Fuel Tank Capacity 3.7 gallons.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 12
I’m at a loss here- I ( like a few others here) hold the nozzle about 2-3 cm inside the tank, and can see the gas level quite well. I try to consistently fill it to the the steel piece in the tank . I usually fill it soon as the indicator blinks.
To me, at least, the level is easily visible.

Could it be the “shrouds” or vapor recovery pieces that are keeping people from seeing the level? I did notice those were a pain at Costco here in Georgia. They have one line of pumps without them, just for bikes at our local Costco. The attendant actually came over and told me about them as I was struggling with the collar thingy.

Back