• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Overpant Recommendation

The pair you linked to require a belt on the pants. My current Rev'it moto pants don't have belt loops so the "perry clip" won't work but I do see that the side clip suspenders are also offered for sale with a traditional clip. This may be a very good solution that I can wear with all my non-belt loop pants :)
As I said, one can put the Perry clips over/around the side adjuster straps on pants that have them.

I know that with all my pants I can deal with calf zippers to get over my MX boots. I don't even bother with the zippers when I'm wearing my Alpinestars Belize, which have become my main boot.

As attractive as the Rev’it SAND 3 pants may seem I think I’m eliminating them. I’m not a fan of rain barriers. If the SAND 3 had a bonded waterproof membrane I’d keep them on the list. No doubt it’s a very good pant, but not really what I’m searching for. It seemed to be a good thought as I started expanding my searches but I’m having doubts about losing waterproofing if used as an over pant.

The Scorpion WP Seattle seems to be growing on me, despite the semi-spacesuit look. It has all the functionality and features. Some reviews bring waterproofing into question so that’s an issue.

FirstGear’s Kilimanjaro remains in favor. Stand alone and overpant functionality. I really wish it had an adjustable waist; I like everything else about it, but the adjustable waist may be a deal breaker?

Rev’it Commuter pants remain attractive. They won’t do double duty as a stand-alone pant but they provide the overlayer protection that I don’t currently own.

I know I said that NONE of the KLIM pants tick the boxes. But in fact a discontinued model actually would be a good pant. If I could find a pair of LAST YEAR's KLIM Traverse black pants in a size 38 or maybe a 40 I would probably buy them.

The KLIM Traverse is not really designed as an over pant but they can be used as an over-pant. I can find left over inventory in green in that size. Normally I wear a size 36 Wrangler blue jean, I wear the same size in KLIM brand moto pants. So to wear a pair of Traverse pants as an over-pant I'd need a 38 or a 40. 40 might be a bit loose but with suspenders would work out fine as an overpant, especially since most of my blue jeans are relax fit.

The Traverse is a heavy duty Gore-tex pant, so unlike the Sand3, the waterproofing is baked into the pant. No armor included but it has pockets for adding knee & hip armor. It has velcro waist adjusters so that should work, in conjunction with suspenders, to hold them in place. Velcro adjusters at the cuffs up the calf. Has front and rear vents, just in case. In all black it looks like a pair of work pants, not like a space suit.

--> EDIT <--
Just made a deal to buy a pair of used KLIM Traverse pants. They are last year's model. Guy said he wore them 1 time. They look brand new. Paid $150.00 so I think I got a good deal since they are $400 pants. They are size 40, which will likely be a bit too large around the waist if NOT used as an over-pant but likely will work out OK as an over-pant. Given the price paid I have spare cash in my pocket to have them tailored locally if necessary.

Last edited:
The KLIM Traverse Pants arrived today. Size 40 Regular. I could probably have gotten away with a 38. My normal blue jeans size is a 36 waist and a 33 inseam.

Upon arrival I slipped them on over a pair of my favorite Wrangler blue jeans. Still had room in the waist, but the velcro waist cinch straps were adjusted to be as loose as possible. Cinched them a bit and they fit great as an over-pant.

Inserted a set of CE Level 2 Knee Armor and a set of Level 2 Hip Armor and then tried them on over a bulky pair of cargo shorts. Again, great fit after cinching down the waist to fit. Hip armor pockets are non-adjustable. Knee Armor pockets are probably adjustable but honestly I slipped the armor in and when I tried them on the armor sat perfectly so I didn't bother to explore its adjustability.

They are cut fairly roomy in the leg, not sure that a 38 would have been cut much trimmer, but I'm more than very happy with fit. These will give me enough room to wear "relaxed fit" jeans as well as thermal lined jeans.

Construction is as expected from anything KLIM. Leather on the inside of the leg. Heavy Gore-Tex fabric construction for the rest of the pants. The fabric seems to be doubled up at the knee. Double snap at the waist, with a water proof zipper and a gusset to keep water coming through at the crotch. There is a comfortable mesh lining on the inside. There is a thigh slit pocket on the left leg, its big and deep and should hold whatever I need it to hold. It is located behind the zipper for the left thigh air vent. Each leg has 2 air vents, one located on the front, the other located on the rear of the leg. Not sure the air vents will get much use as I bought these for cooler/cold weather use.

As I was wearing them around the house, which is air conditioned and has the temp set at 70, I began to sweat. So these are definitely warm pants, again exactly what I was looking for in a pair of over-pants. As a rain pant these probably would excel in 3 season (fall/winter/spring) but very likely way too hot to wear for hot humid weather.

I find any Gore-tex pants too hot for even mild summer weather, after just a little time riding in them. That's fine. They work for the other seasons.

First thing in the AM I’m running a couple of last minute errands then heading out ASAP. Trying to be in the road by 11am, west bound and throttle down!!

First thing in the AM I’m running a couple of last minute errands then heading out ASAP. Trying to be in the road by 11am, west bound and throttle down!!
Enjoy and take a lot of photos for posting on the forum!

Remember, greenboy has set the photo standard, so we will be judging your camera skills :eek:

Hey Rapturee, greenboy doesn't need any more motorcycle pants! ; }
Sure you do. Everyone needs several good pairs of them. An extra is always a bonus.

Enjoy and take a lot of photos for posting on the forum!

Remember, greenboy has set the photo standard, so we will be judging your camera skills :eek:
Post what ya got. It's all good : }

Sure you do. Everyone needs several good pairs of them. An extra is always a bonus.
I already have 5, not including rain gear. Or is it more? <scratches head>

I already have 4. Or is it more? <scratches head>
This pair makes 5 for me, you are playing catch-up at this point!

I will admit that I don't wear my Bull-it armored moto cargo pants. But I do rotate through my KLIM and Rev'it pants depending upon the ride, conditions, destination, etc.

After trying them over several pairs of pants I'm really happy with the Size 40 waist. I could have used a size 38 with dress slacks or similar underneath. But I really don't think a size 38 would have worked as an over-pant for me over my cargo pants, relaxed cut jeans, etc. The 40 gives me enough extra room to account for bulky pants underneath.

Honestly I wish I could go out and try them out today. Humidity dropped and temps are fairly reasonable. I'm removing from a hand surgery and not in safe riding condition just yet. Hopefully in about 2 weeks.

I don't use many of them now. Just my waterproof with thermal-liner cold-weather ones, and my non-overpant mesh. I wish I would have arrived at those at the start, though my Klim Dakar did a few years of off-road dirt naps and getting thrown from the horse without any real damage.

61 degrees outside today, rode with the KLIM Traverse pants over a pair of Wrangler blue jeans.

It was a short test ride. Started the ride with all 4 of the vents open. The ride was on rural roads, minimum speed limit was 45 on these roads. I actually ended up closing the vents, the nice thing is the zippers have large pulls and can easily be manipulated either while riding or at a stop.

The cuff opened enough to slip these on while I was wearing a pair of Forma moto-boots. Its possible to do but really not recommended. Would be better to put the boots on after the pants. These will fit easily over moto sneakers and light boots. Not possible to slip on over any larger boot, ADV style or heavy boot.

The knee pads were sitting a bit high while I was riding, adjusted those when I got home.

Happy to report that these will do exactly what I wanted them to do, and that is to act as an over pant and also act as a colder weather layer of protection.

My pants are a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 13 which I don't think are available in the US. My waterproof bib over pant I picked up at a store that specialized in industrial work gear. I took my pants and boots and tried on waterproof pants that would fit over my set up.

Good luck with your search :)

If you’re still looking check out the tour master over pants. They’re being discontinued but I picked up a pair for 120 usd. Really nice. Rode in 28f this morning and they weren’t cold. Taken them up to 75f and still comfy.

As noted above in the thread I bought last years model of the KLIM Traverse.

Wore them at 39(F) and was very comfortable. Waiting for colder weather to try them at a lower temp.

Back