• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oxford Adventure Heated Grips Installed

Naked_Duc

Reaction score
Visit site
I have collected a few accessories for winter commuting but hadn't had time to put them in. After a long week at work, I was in dire need of some alone time; some moto-therapy time in the garage. I got an afternoon to myself and installed the Oxford heated grips. I also wired up an accessory power outlet and wiring for heated jacket liner.

Ordered the Oxford grips from Revzilla. The grips look to be rock solid and very well made. The wiring is easy and very straight forward. So I jumped right in.

Taking off the clutch side grip wasn't too bad. I used a long skinny screw driver to break up the rubber cement under the grip and then twisted it off. Put on the heated grip is a different story. The inner diameter of the grip is exactly the same as the handlebar. Since the rubber of the grip has very little give, it took some muscle to twist that damn thing on. But once it's on there, it's on there. No need for the super glue that's included in the kit.

Now on to the brake side grip. Geeeesauce! It is very well designed and installed. The grip wraps around a inner and outer ring on the throttle tube. On top of that, the throttle tube has little knobbies and form inside the grip. It took a little while to figure out what's holding the grips in place. Even after that, it took a little work to get the grip off since I don't want to damage anything. Now it's the installation of the new grip. The inner diameter of the grip fits the throttle tube almost exactly. So I had to cut off the outer ring that holds the original grip in place and file down the knobbies on tube. I took a little off at a time so I wouldn't risk taking too much off. Finally, I got slide the grip snuggly over the throttle tube. Ahhhhhhhhh, now I could let out a big sigh of relieve

WP_20141004_002.jpg

Now, this part took a long while. First of all, the grips stick out a little too far out. Even after cutting 1/2" off the ends, as suggested, it is still too long, longer than the spacers that I put in for the Trackside Handguards. I just happened to have some 1/2" PVC pipes sitting around that might work for this. I cut a 1" section off and that fit right inside the handlebar and just big enough to go over the weight inside the handlebar. I put a couple of washers on top of the PVC pipe and fit the handguard over that. The grip is clear of the handguard. PERFECT!

WP_20141004_004.jpg

The next hour was just taking off body panels, wiring everything to the battery, and re-route/hide/ziplock all the wires. I can't be happier with the result

Last edited:
Ride report:

I tested out the grips this past week commuting. I rode thru some rain and some cold damp mornings. The grips performed really well. The outer diameter of the grips are bigger than the original grips. So it took a little getting used to. But they do give you a very secure feeling (the original grips are a little on the thin side). The texture of the grips are fantastic. Very positive grip without being sticky.

I left one morning in my summer gloves (A-star SMX2) in damp mid-50 weather. My hands and finger tips got cold after about 5 minutes on the hwy. With the grips set to 30% (the lowest setting), I was perfectly fine. By the time I got to work 20 minutes later, my hands were getting a little too warm. I also rode thru some light rain with summer groves on. With the handgards and grips get to 30%, I was perfectly fine.

I am super happy with these grips. I think they are very well made and a great value at $89. I like the control and the way it's mounted. Very clear and there is no second guess if it's on or what power level. It even has a build-in voltage sensor that would shut off if it detects the engine shut off. With the handguards, I think I can I can extend my ride 20 degree F past my previous comfort level. :D

Duc, your bike looks almost identical to mine! The grips, Trackside guards, an the bar mounted electric outlet look just like mine. I agree, the Oxford grips are nice, and the price is right. I paid $50 shipped for mine. The version I have, I think, is the sport grip. I didn't really notice any change in grip diameter over stock. I have never run the grips over 75% power as they get plenty warm. My install went like yours. No glue used on the left, and I trimmed the throttle tube on the right like you did. There's a lot of wiring to mess with, but it it's all doable.

Nice job!

The throttle side will fit better if you remove the white grip stop. I can make it out in your pic. Here is my install with it removed. It's tricky but the material removes very easily and results in a clean installation.

IMG_0612.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done, ruggybuggy. After seeing what you did, my grip will start bug me more and more. I just might need to redo it. :)

I have the same Grips... I wired them to the Battery... Said to my self, I wont forget to turn them off.... Right.... After the third jump I moved power supply to the Honda sub harness... I also filed off all nubs and crap from the throttle side.. Grip slides all the way on with no trimming...... Very happy with them..............

Last edited:
I have the same Grips... I wired them to the Battery... Said to my self, I wont forget to turn them off.... Right.... After the third jump I moved power supply to the Honda sub harness... I also filed off all nubs and crap from the throttle side.. Grip slides all the way on with no trimming...... Very happy with them..............

The newer style have "intelligence" and will turn off when battery voltage drops below a certain point so you can still start the bike. Also the new style has five heat settings, the old style had four. I had the old style on my FZ1 and they never were as warm as the new style.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture but the green spot is the "intelligence".
IMG_0611.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back