• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oxford Heated Grip Failure

• Thread starter Deleted member 8387
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8387

Good morning, Everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans and well wishes to everyone. So yesterday I left to pick up some take out after the sun had gone down and I was unprepared for the low 50s from a jacket thickness perspective. So I clicked on my Oxford Heated Grips for perhaps the 3rd time (purchased the bike and grips back in May) and wouldn't you know it, the right grip now doesn't work. I haven't dropped the bike or anything like that, so discouraging. The dealer from which I bought them is two hours away and their service was so dreadful, I refuse to go back to them. Has anyone else had the issue of one heated grip not working after so little use?

Never had trouble with Oxfords and I've installed them on three different motorcycles. Sounds like a broken or disconnected wire someplace.

I have Oxfords on two motorcycles but never had one grip stop working. It sounds like your wiring and connectors need to be inspected, and you can easily check the continuity through the right grip with an ohmmeter. I haven’t seen a schematic, but since the grips aren’t independently controllable, I’m guessing since the left grip works, the controller is probably OK. The defect is probably an open circuit at a connector, a broken wire, or a bad right grip. Since all the motion is in the neighborhood of the steering head, I’d focus on that area and the connector feeding the right grip.

Hi. Sorry to hear of that problem; gotta be frustrating. Like my brethren above, I have had no issues at all with Oxford grips. I have actually moved them from my last bike to my current and have had no problems. I would look for connection issues.

So I took my bike to my local dealer and he checked and saw that there is sufficient current going to the bad grip. And as it turns out, only the first half inch of the heating element is working. Defective. He called Oxford and it's still under warranty, so a new right grip unit has been shipped. Great customer service.

Sigh.... Right-hand heated grip not working again. I can't believe it's the grip again; it has to be the darn wire. What a PITA.

Sigh.... Right-hand heated grip not working again. I can't believe it's the grip again; it has to be the darn wire. What a PITA.
Compare heating element resistance measurements of the two grips. If the right grip measures infinite or significantly higher than the left, the right grip is bad. If the problem is the wire feeding the right grip, do a careful inspection of the wire routing to prevent a repeat failure.

Well this is interesting. I spent some time at the dealer today and he showed me what's going on. Using an infrared thermometer, we could see that the right grip was 15-20 cooler than the left. What is happening is that the Brake Away Cruise Control (https://brakeawayproducts.com/product/7cp02/), made of aluminum, is absorbing 15-20 degrees of the heat! There is a little shielding on the bottom of it, however it isn't enough to prevent the conduction of heat. Once we remove the cruise control, the right grip holds the same temperature and the left.

We've written to Oxford to see if they have encountered this or have any suggestions around it. But that's pretty interesting, albeit bothersome.

I've now written to Brake Away and checking their FAQ, I see they say that their Cruise Control does not work with Heated Grips! Bummer :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I had great results using the inexpensive Go Cruise throttle stop. For me it is more functional than any friction lock, and I've used a bunch of them.

Last edited:
Well this is interesting. I spent some time at the dealer today and he showed me what's going on. Using an infrared thermometer, we could see that the right grip was 15-20 cooler than the left. What is happening is that the Brake Away Cruise Control (https://brakeawayproducts.com/product/7cp02/), made of aluminum, is absorbing 15-20 degrees of the heat! There is a little shielding on the bottom of it, however it isn't enough to prevent the conduction of heat. Once we remove the cruise control, the right grip holds the same temperature and the left.

We've written to Oxford to see if they have encountered this or have any suggestions around it. But that's pretty interesting, albeit bothersome.

I've now written to Brake Away and checking their FAQ, I see they say that their Cruise Control does not work with Heated Grips! Bummer :(
yep, aluminum is a very good conductor of heat, so it absorbs heat very quickly...you would need some kind of thick rubber band between the grip and the control...but dont know if it would keep it from closing quickly when you need to get off of the throttle

I could not imagine anything better than my Oxford grips. One time in Northern British Columbia my motorcycle gloves became so saturated with rain soak I resorted to heavy duty dishwasher gloves I found at a hardware store locally. I put my Oxford grips at one notch down from the top and was still warm with an air temp of 50 F on a long highway rain ride while my so-called Gore-tex gloves dried out in my panniers.

Back