• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Packing heated gear

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For those with heated gear.
I just got a heated jacket and was wondering how durable they are and how to pack them.
I'm hesitant to roll it tight like I do everything else. Afraid I'll break wires or whatever makes it work.
What do you do?

I got a Gerbing, gloves are the same (got them last year).
I hard- wired them in and have a dual controller. Only turned them on on a hot day to make sure they work. We haven't had any cool days yet down here - I can't wait!
They worked good as far as I could tell.

Thanks for the reply, we have had a couple of cool mornings here (lower 40s) so fall is fast approaching. I have heated grips on another bike that was my computer before I purchased a used 2012 NC700x and it has taken its place so I'm looking at options.

Thanks for the reply, we have had a couple of cool mornings here (lower 40s) so fall is fast approaching. I have heated grips on another bike that was my computer before I purchased a used 2012 NC700x and it has taken its place so I'm looking at options.

Cool Morning (40s). That's cold brother. When we hit 60 the other day I started preping the winter gear.

My heater gear gets no special treatment. I'm not even surew how I store it. Stuff it, roll it, or cram it. I just make it fit. This will be its third season. I actually have battery operated gloves but plan to change that this year.

I considered the battery option for the vest. It would be good to have a warm vest while setting up a campsite. But then, when I'm not doing 60-75 mph, I'm not that cold with regular coat(s) on. Still, the option is appealing!

I throw my heated gear in the washing machine when I get home from every grip. I have the heated pants, shirt, and gloves. All three do consume too much room in my right side saddlebag. Being the heated gear is all waterproof, I remove the rain liner from my mesh pants and jacket in the winter months. I then wear the heated gear under my mesh gear at most times during the winter months. This keeps from consuming so much room in my saddlebags.

What brand do you have that is waterproof? Sound like that would work for my pants. My jacket is Goretex so removing the insulated liner and replacing with the heated one will work!

I like the idea of having a battery pack...maybe use it in the house and never turn the heat up.
My vest has recently stopped working. ...
Not quite sure how to figure out where the problem lies. Checked the fuse and it seems to be okay...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I considered the battery option for the vest. It would be good to have a warm vest while setting up a campsite. But then, when I'm not doing 60-75 mph, I'm not that cold with regular coat(s) on. Still, the option is appealing!

Here is my honest opinion of battery heated gloves. They work for me as a commuter. I only need them to work 30 minutes one-way. I get about 3 days out of them and they have to be charged again. That is basically four hours on HI. Won't work well for a long ride. They do not get as hot as a set of wired gloves. I imagine a vest is the same so keep that in mind. I've used my gloves two season and they work well down to 20F but the recharging is something to consider. It can be a hassle.

Since I have hard wired gloves already, it's not a consideration. If it were, I would have an extra battery and charge it as I'm riding.

Good to know battery gloves don't get as hot as hard wired gloves.

I have a set of Harley Davidson branded battery heated gloves that are made by Gerbings. Like SergeantChuck, I have them mainly for commuting and they work great for that. Mine put out lots of heat, but the battery in each glove only lasts about 45 minutes on high. That's no problem with my commute that runs from 30 to 45 minutes because I can recharge while at work and then again overnight at home.

BTW, if you're a resourceful fellow you can make a wiring harness that allows you to plug the battery heated gloves into your heated connection going to your heated liner and then be prepared for long trips. I did this by taking apart an old set of batteries to rob the connectors and bought a standard SAE connector for the other end of the harness. Because the batteries are 7.2 volt each, if you connect the gloves in series you'll end up with proper voltage at each glove from the bikes 14 volt supply. :)

Back