• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Parking brake cable is very tight when handlebar is locked to the left after 2" riser install.

16DCT

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I just finished installing the Rox Speed FX 2" risers on my '16 NC700X DCT. The throttle and electrical cables/wires appear to be fine, but I did have to reroute the brake line to the inside of the triple tree (ABS model). But the bigger issue I'm seeing is that the parking brake cable seems to be very tight when fully locked to the left. There is no extra slack to give it from what I can tell either. How do I go about fixing this issue? Is it possible for this cable to be rerouted behind the steering tube, or should I be looking at potentially trying to get a longer custom cable from Motion Pro?

Yep, this is possible using the stock cable. I did it a cuppla years ago so don't remember all the specifics but it did require freeing up both ends of the parking brake cable, which are at the parking brake lever housing and the parking brake on the rear brake disk.

Here's a pic of the cable routing behind the triple tree and steering tube ...

P1000181.JPG

Yep, this is possible using the stock cable. I did it a cuppla years ago so don't remember all the specifics but it did require freeing up both ends of the parking brake cable, which are at the parking brake lever housing and the parking brake on the rear brake disk.

Here's a pic of the cable routing behind the triple tree and steering tube ...

View attachment 44118
Very cool, thanks for posting. The parking brake lever housing end is threaded in (I believe) similar to how the throttle cables are attached. So I don't think I can free up that end, meaning I will have to start from the back. Do you recall if you had to strip off a bunch of the plastics in order to reach the end of the cable to begin rerouting it?

Very cool, thanks for posting. The parking brake lever housing end is threaded in (I believe) similar to how the throttle cables are attached. So I don't think I can free up that end, meaning I will have to start from the back. Do you recall if you had to strip off a bunch of the plastics in order to reach the end of the cable to begin rerouting it?

As best I recall, I had to pull off a lot of the body plastics to get access, but then I've had to get 'em off any number of times in pursuit of various farkles. And I do seem to recall getting the brake lever housing apart to free up that end of the cable.

I had Rox risers for awhile on my 2013. I was ok on parking brake. The angle of the riser and angle of bars in riser can make a difference in cable slack. You might try playing with geometry a bit. I got rid of them because they wouldn’t stay put. Hopefully Rox has fixed that. I have SW Motech risers now that are 25mm up and 25mm back so 45 degree angle and 1.7” distance. Best of all they don’t move.

As best I recall, I had to pull off a lot of the body plastics to get access, but then I've had to get 'em off any number of times in pursuit of various farkles. And I do seem to recall getting the brake lever housing apart to free up that end of the cable.
Yeah I might just have to do this. Another poster told me to order a cable from a CTX700 DCT since the cables should be about 3-4 inches longer on that bike. That might be my best option since I'd like to keep the original routing.
I had Rox risers for awhile on my 2013. I was ok on parking brake. The angle of the riser and angle of bars in riser can make a difference in cable slack. You might try playing with geometry a bit. I got rid of them because they wouldn’t stay put. Hopefully Rox has fixed that. I have SW Motech risers now that are 25mm up and 25mm back so 45 degree angle and 1.7” distance. Best of all they don’t move.
Yeah there's a very specific way you're supposed to install them since it's so hard to get a tool on the bolts when they're in place. They say to leave the top clamps loose and tighten the bottom ones as hard as you can while still loose enough that you can pivot the risers back. Then after you pivot them back to your liking, you tighten the easily accessible top clamps. The only problem is that you're pretty much relying on the top clamps only to hold the risers in place. In my case I was able to crank down on all 4 clamp bolts so there's no movement from what I've seen. But yeah I have the bars pretty much exactly where I want them so I don't really want to bring them in closer even if it means more slack on the cable. I think what I'm gonna do is buy a parking brake cable from the CTX700 which has swept back bars and are allegedly 3-4 inches longer than the NC700's brake line cable.

Yep me too. I had 2“ Rox risers on my 2019 DCT. Had to re-route the brake line but everything else was snug but fine. Play with it a bit. I also had my bars rotated down a tiny bit towards me.

My 2014 is a manual transmission.
I put SW MOTECH 30mm risers on. Clutch cable was a bit to tight / taunt for my liking.....so, I moved the clutch lever perch ~ 1/4" to the right........towards the handle bar securing bolts. Issue resolved. Also, SW MOTECH advises to use thread locker on riser bolts.....light or medium strength......can't recall which.

Back