• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

passenger comfort

djfisjtik

Reaction score
Visit site
Being interested in the NC700X i'm happy to have found this forum. Just registered.

Can anyone comment on how the ride is for the passenger?

I've picked up riding the motorcycle a few months ago after a break of 5 years. Last month i had the opportunity to buy back my old '97 cb500 from the new owner who hadn't driven it at all. After a few weeks of working on it i finally got it in running condition. While at first my wife didn't like the idea she now enjoys going for a spin on our cb500 as much as i do.

Considering making further trips in the future, the NC700X seems like our ideal bike:
- price
- new bike with ABS (versus the old bike with some rusty bits)
- hopefully more wind protection, i'd probably invest in the taller windscreen and deflectors (i never cared for wind protection in the past)
- fuel consumption

We'll probably rent one sometime soon.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The NCX is more a daily commuter for a solo rider.
Of course any bike with 2 seats can be a "tourer" or make a nice weekend trip.
Your listed reasons are also same as mine when I bought my NCX.

I would propose you take a few test rides, even rent the bike for 1 weekend before you decide if it can support your requirements for 2-up biking.

Many of the owners here are happy with the bike so far.

Have a nice time.

We have done a couple of trips 2-up, and comment as follows: yes, there is a seat at the back, but it is smallish. Obviously depending on physical dimensions, and may be age also plays a role. We also noticed that the front and rear pegs are close together, ie when I put my soles on the pegs, I bump hubby's feet at the back. For longer trips, any little movement will keep you more comfortable. I would propose a good test, try at least a 1 hour long stint and decide then.

I finally got the chance to put some miles on the NC two-up this weekend. The short version is, it's not bad -- better than my old Bandit 1250S.

We went to Galveston from Austin and back -- around 250 miles the first day meandering around, 200 miles yesterday -- so not a real long trip, but that's about the limit for my wife.

I have the Givi rack with an E45 case which the wife likes to lean against. This was actually the biggest thing for our comfort -- on my Bandit, the Suzuki rack put the top box too far forward which crowded us, the Givi rack on the NC left her plenty of room so we could actually move around.

The rear seat is smallish, but I let her use my sheepskin cover and I didn't hear any complaints about it. Pegs are lower than my Bandit, so her knees are less bent. No weird bufetting or anything with the stock screen.

The bike didn't seem to mind. I've got to get a wrench to adjust rear preload, the rear end squatted more than I was expecting. Averaged around 61 mpg at highway speeds, which isn't bad considering our 10% ethanol fuel here. No power issues really. Cruised just fine at 80 mph if I wanted to, but most of the time we were around 65 mph which was fine. 6th gear was pretty worthless if you need to accelerate, but nothing a downshift couldn't fix.

So, all in all, not bad. This was one area where I was expecting the NC to struggle, but it wasn't a problem at all. Great bike we've got.

And a picture at a pit stop because... well, everyone likes pictures.

2012-11-04_12-33-15_644.jpg

trey

I little feedback from my daughter. We haven’t done a long ride so it is mostly riding around town for an hour or so. I’m 6’1 165lbs and she is 5’10 ~145lbs. This is her first bike to ride on. I don’t have a top box so she has nothing behind her.

Comfort: pretty comfortable. My butt might hurt after a long while.
Room: I’ve got plenty of room though I tend to sit up close to you because I’m slightly paranoid about falling off backwards. I’ve slid back a couple of times. Leg room is good. Pegs could be a little lower but where they are makes me feel like I’m hugging you and the bike. (Edit) I believe she meant that as a good thing.
View: I look over your right shoulder the whole time.

From my view point: I sit at the back of the seat so she is kind of wrapped around me. This has a tendency to push me forward since the seat slopes forward. I think getting a custom seat, which I’m going to do just for my own comfort, will resolve that or getting a top box so she won’t feel so paranoid and would sit back a little. Occasionally I feel her feet on the back of my calf but that hasn’t been a big deal. As expected the preload needs to be adjusted for a longer ride but it has been fine without adjusting for our shorter rides. Power is good for 2up. The low torque makes pulling away from a stop on a steep hill easy. It only takes a little more throttle than normal.

Don’t expect the comfort of a GoldWing or ST riding 2up but the NC does handle 2up nicely for a smaller bike.

My son wants me to take him on a longer ride. I took him to the local store and he said that he was comfortable. I had no problem with him on the back. Total weight of the two of us is 390 lbs/176 kg.

1031121603-00.jpg

Hi all, I have been the proud owner of an S since they had them at the local dealer in Halifax, NS. I have taken my current girlfriend on several trips, the longest of which was from my apartment in Halifax to my parents' house in Cape Breton. The trip takes about 2 and a half hours (or somewhat less... even though the missus made me behave so far as speed is concerned). She said the rear seat was quite comfortable. Keeping in mind that she used to work on a farm and would spend full days in the saddle (the real, horse kind) and had gotten very used to that.

I gave my 10 year old boy on another ride two weeks ago. When I asked him if it was comfortable he said it was ok. He definitely gave my old Goldwing high marks after that ride.

Had couple of occasions so far to give my wife a ride to the city, meaning basic commuting not longer than 30 min non stop. She is in mid 30's, 175 cm, 60 kg, normal build (meaning no disproportions, like solid behind or big stomach or ...)
I'm afraid no pro's from her side. Narrow seat causes her discomfort and she don' t appreciate back hands position for grabbing railings (i have Honda rack and changed railings).
Her shoe size being 39eu means I'm occasionally touching her toes with back side of my feet (43 eu) when moving feet on pegs.

Hope it helps, sry if i overdid it with measurement, wanted to be as precise as possible without compromising my wife's honor ;)

I finally got the chance to put some miles on the NC two-up this weekend. The short version is, it's not bad -- better than my old Bandit 1250S.

We went to Galveston from Austin and back -- around 250 miles the first day meandering around, 200 miles yesterday -- so not a real long trip, but that's about the limit for my wife.

I have the Givi rack with an E45 case which the wife likes to lean against. This was actually the biggest thing for our comfort -- on my Bandit, the Suzuki rack put the top box too far forward which crowded us, the Givi rack on the NC left her plenty of room so we could actually move around.

The rear seat is smallish, but I let her use my sheepskin cover and I didn't hear any complaints about it. Pegs are lower than my Bandit, so her knees are less bent. No weird bufetting or anything with the stock screen.

The bike didn't seem to mind. I've got to get a wrench to adjust rear preload, the rear end squatted more than I was expecting. Averaged around 61 mpg at highway speeds, which isn't bad considering our 10% ethanol fuel here. No power issues really. Cruised just fine at 80 mph if I wanted to, but most of the time we were around 65 mph which was fine. 6th gear was pretty worthless if you need to accelerate, but nothing a downshift couldn't fix.

So, all in all, not bad. This was one area where I was expecting the NC to struggle, but it wasn't a problem at all. Great bike we've got.

And a picture at a pit stop because... well, everyone likes pictures.

View attachment 1404

trey

Nice pic. Gotta love Buc-ee's

At 500 lbs, the NC700 is as heavy as my old CB900F but offers only half the horses. Even so, the bike is certainly powerful enough for two, but I feel the need to manually downshift (i have the DCT) when it comes time to pass. I asked johnakay make a passenger back rest for my daughter who seemed to clink my helmet a bit too often. I'm hoping this encourages her to sit back a little more. We ride mostly under 40 on twisty canyon roads so we've not had a chance to endure numb-bum.

My girlfriend refuses to ride on the back anymore, until my Corbin seats come it. Guess that helped her decide to get her own motorcycle.

After 15 minutes all I hear is complaining. She's 5'2" and 100lbs after a dinner.

She says my PCX scooter seat is more comfy than that piece of crap nc700 rear seat. I say the same thing about the front seat!

I often ride two up. Judging by the grimace on the face on of wife, even after a 30 minute ride in to the city, I'd say it's not exactly suited to the task! The only positive is that my Shad box with the seat rest is really good for support on a longer trip. In summary, the seat is bad for rider and pillion. My butt will never forgive me!

No complaint from my wife after an 2 hours trip, I installed a givi trekker 45l with back rest for her comfort, she felt comfortable leaning on the back rest or near me.

No complaint about the back seat, if necessary whe will modify it after a more long trip. The front seat was modified, the front part of the seat is now more high, to avoid to slide against the frunk.

A little problems riding with my wife, there is no a lot of room, so it is not possible for me to put my heels on the rear pegs.

B.R.

Passenger Comfort - NC700X versus 650 Vstrom

I currently own a 2012 NC700X and also a 2006 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom. I've carried two different female passengers on both bikes for 200+ mile rides. They both report that the Vstrom is more comfortable for the passenger. This has to do with the size of the seat and leg room, including the distance between the rider and passenger pegs. I'm 5'11", 165 pounds and wear size 11 1/2 shoes which means our feet sometimes get in each other's way on the NC700X. If I take a long trip with a passenger, I would definitely choose the Vstrom. If I take a long trip solo I would definitely choses the NC (more refined, slower turning engine, quieter, better fuel economy and simpler maintenance). But I would be buying an aftermarket seat for either and topping it with an AirHawk pad.

First photo shows my friend Juli, from Bremen, Germany and a rough prototype backrest, since discarded as unnecessary. If you and/or your passenger are smaller than Juli and me, your comfort may be better.

Second photo is of me and my girlfriend, Kristina, from Berlin, at the top of Mauna Kea here on the Big Island. Altitude is 14,000 feet. Yes, there is snow in the winter. Bike is the 2006 Vstrom 650.

Third photo is of me and Kristina again at the top of Mauna Kea but on a more appropriate bike, my 2009 Suzuki DR650. There is 5 miles of steep dirt road just before pavement again at the top. This is an easy ride on the DR650 but not much fun on the 650 Vstrom with its smooth street tires.

Bob Lee
Hilo, Hawaii

PS: Just noticed that I am a "Junior Member". That's very funny as I'm 70 years old, have owned about 30 bikes and have been riding for 55years!

8 - Me and Juli heading home.jpg

IMG_6284.jpg

DSCF2427.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Bob. I visited Hilo for the first time ever last March. I really like that area of Hawai'i as opposed to the touristy beach resorts or the big city Honolulu stuff. Hilo's a very nice place, and I do prefer the weather there, too.

Aloha!

Back