• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Passenger seat doesn't want to open

Junkie

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having trouble getting the passenger seat to open.

It seems that one side is unlatching but not the other.

Right now I have the rack on vs the seat, but I've had trouble with the seat too. Not as bad as I'm having right now... luckily I have a gashole.

Any suggestions on what to look at?

I always had to push down on the front of the passenger seat then release the lock and lift up while holding the key

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

some guy on youtube filed or ground down something on or by the offending seat post. or added a washer or something. I can't recall try searching youtube.

I've tried pushing down and sometimes it does the trick but far from always

I've tried pushing down and sometimes it does the trick but far from always
With that being the only way to accesses your gas tank I'd make it a priority to fix.

Have you checked the cable attachments and routing?

I know that if you route it wrong near the faux tank (such as when changing the air filter, the cable can get bent or pinched and work but not properly.

I don't know what to call it but the little black plastic piece held on by a Philips screw is the part I'm thinking of as the likely culprit, of course I could be wrong but that's where I would start

Given that I have a rack with a gashole, it isn't the only way to access my tank... but I'd like to be able to run the passenger seat too.

When I've gotten it open in the past and poked around, both of the latches move freely and open far enough. I'm thinking that for some reason, one of them (I think generally the right, although I might be remembering wrong) is opening more instead of both opening the same.

I'll have to pull off the covers and make sure it isn't bent or pinched, but I don't think it is. I did remove them before for air filter and powerlet, but it's been intermittent since before that.

I would like to chime in that I also suffer from this condition. My solution thus far has been to always fully turn the key when latching and unlatching the rear seat. If there is a permanent fix I’d be excited to hear about it as well.

if its a matter of the cable not pulling enough on the catch mech, you can grind alittle away on the catch mechanism

Last edited:
I know someone who couldn't get the frunk open because the key latch mechanism has a plastic stub in it that was wearing down and not pulling the latch wire enough. Maybe the problem is up there and not back by the seat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just went and played around with it for a few minutes. The right (throttle/brake control) side will unlatch easily as long as I'm not pulling up. The left side doesn't want to come up period.

If I pull up on the right side, the key doesn't want to turn in there at all... so I'm thinking that something on the left side is jammed up.

Any suggestions on what it might be? As I said before, it used to be an intermittent problem, but it's gotten worse.

No, it doesn't.

I had the same problem some with the seat so I doubt it's the rack, but I guess it's possible.

id start with dropping some oil on that release mech. if that doesnt work , that mech unbolts for a closer inspection. both your rack and seat could be warped just alittle causing the slight alignment issue. have you removed the riders seat and tested all this? your seat could be causing the problem.

well, I found something that at least contributes

Y4ItEBY.png

no clue if it's the only problem. I also noticed that the wear pattern on the rack was farther forward than it should have been.

I also found that, even with the seat open, the left side latch doesn't seem to move when I turn the key. I only got it open by using a screwdriver.

i usually learn things just by observing , there is a reason that left latch doesnt operate, just find out why. jeez whiz was that piece broken by the rack perhaps. who knows. keep other posted. clean and spritz some oil on anything that moves in there, could just be serious junk buildup. also if you have been having to muscle that key, the cable could have stretched, there are ways to deal with that.

Last edited:
has anyone else had that break?

trying to figure out if I should just buy new OEM or if I ought to reinforce it

Back