• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Performance and Modifications Enhancement (Mods) in a single thread. One stop shopping.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanted to say thank you all for watching my videos and helping me to go viral. My video garbage would not amount to anything unless you watch it. Think about it! It is either my material, or you start binge watching Korean Soaps, or heaven forbid, or watching old re-runs of Dear Ol' Captain Noah and getting completely weirded out at the end of every episode.

I would also like to announce the the soon to be launched, "The World's Dirtiest Workshop" by Rider of the Storm. Wait. Get your head out of the gutter. No, there are no posters on the wall from my teenage years. It is just my garage. At least I am not that Scotty K guy from Texas who click baits you to watch his garbage. Right? My new channel will feature, well, me! And how I invent every-day stuff from other every-day stuff because, hmmm, sometimes, the only solution is some garbage at Wal Mart. And that is just not good enough for me! Not sure what I am talking about? Watch my video on how I made my chest mount for my camera... or my "Boob Mount". Because I am a boob... and the camera mounts to... me.... ooo.. I need to get off the internet before I say something truly stupid.

The following video is a sample of what is to come. Follow me and you too can become a youtube personality. We should all be one big happy family. My very best forum friend should also join in the family and not be such an unstudied lazy writer and whiner.

Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Know your socks. A tube sock is the worst thing you can ride in. Wear socks with super stretch weaves. Use socks with heel pockets and good fitting toe panels. You don’t want material folding up inside your boot.

In my first few years as a pro skier, I was not fussy about my socks, and I went cheap. I came home with a lot of blisters. Eventually I learned that a $30 sock pair is not always as good as a $12 sock pair.

There is always too thick and too thin. But sometimes two layers works best. I have unusual legs. Thick calves and narrow heels. Muscular points on my
Feet. I need a short sock over a long one sometimes.

Certainly my foot muscles developed from playing soccer and mountain biking. Maybe I should not have played so many nights singing in drag as Aretha Franklin. Those shoes are murder.

But. As you grow older, you learn. Four, five, six hours, or more… you need a reliable sock formula. Foot pain is the worst and I ride mostly standing.

Pro snowboarders need the absolute best socks. There is intense strain on your ankles. So. You need a good flex point. The sock should not wrinkle at the top of your foot. Socks that get wet, stretch out and stay loose are the worst. I have had so many problems with Hanes socks. I still buy them for everyday use, but I wont use them in my boots. My pro skier socks are often too snug and do not allow for circulation as they should. They assume you are a serious skier so circulation is not so important. Warmth is not either. The sock maker just wants a super tight fit. So ski socks are not good riding socks for me. I want a little give in my socks under my leather riding boots.

Be aware of the sock texture once the sock is on your legs. See these grey socks below. They wont be the ones I wear while riding. Too much vertical texture. This will cause my skin to compress and turn red attempting to conform to the sock texture. This is never a good thing. I prefer the fit of my Alaska socks. See the ankle joint? No buckling. Just a smooth curve.

Change out of your riding socks after a long ride. There is your riding sock, and then there is the walk-the-dog sock. Or the TV watching socks with bunny ears.

Ok. So, you might be aware I was a professional athlete. Or maybe you are Bigbird and you just think I am a fake narcissistic jerk. No, I am just me. I want to be a part of your on-line family. I want to thank you for my first 400 views on a single tire video!!! Ignore all that life-long badass stuff. I cannot fit my shirts anymore. My ultra thick old man 8-pack abs just make me look fat all the time. My back muscles resemble Arnold Swartzenvolkswagon. If you did any body building, you understand that as you grow older, you just get weirder.

Attachments

• D9A26754-C908-4EBF-9678-992350DC8681.jpeg
    D9A26754-C908-4EBF-9678-992350DC8681.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 23A064E6-9038-4759-BBA9-F51577A9AB9E.jpeg
    23A064E6-9038-4759-BBA9-F51577A9AB9E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • F38E4FDC-7EFA-4CB9-B20D-7FC4698A8F05.jpeg
    F38E4FDC-7EFA-4CB9-B20D-7FC4698A8F05.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Know your helmets

I had spent a lot of time in helmets. I mean decades. My experience is not to be taken lightly. I noggin’ my banged many times. Yes. It is amazing I can still spell and count to five and do it in the same language consistently. But. I will be updating this post on helmets. See videos from Ryan F9 for more materials.

You need to try on a lot of helmets. Personally, I run Shoei only. I get extremely high quality. I basically ride with a Japanese police helmet. Shows you how I choose my gear. Your helmet will vary. Choose a helmet by: 1. Function. 2. Fit. 3. Protection qualities. 4. Venting. 5. Aerodynamics.

Why this order? Having a helmet on is number one. But if you are tear-assing across Texas like I do, you need a race-grade helmet with all-day all-weather riding features. I need a modular helmet with stereo sound and welding-mask sun protection. Yep. So dark I cannot see what I am afraid of.

Fit is key to protection. A loose helmet will do a lot of harm in a crash. And. Cannot be floppy faced in 100mph winds. No distractions. Just riding… with AC/DC back in black.

Protection qualities are what you read on the label. If you brain your striking as often as I do, you ignore the label. You look to fit and function first. I need a super hard shell. I ride past too many golf courses. I have taken too many hard objects to the eyes. I am not joking. So many hits that my face must have jovian gravity.

I am a bald guy. Let’s face it. I am ugly too. But. I am not to be messed with either. So. I am good to be around in a small group. But I have a problem with Texas heat. Oh god! So hot. Nothing like the Northeast corridor. Nowhere near Sacramento heat. I am talking hot. I need venting. I shave my head just to stay cool. And it is not enough. But my helmet vents cause noise. So, I modded my helmet as I needed. I open and close vents. I open my modular jaw piece. I tape things shut and putty the joints for a reason. Yes. Putty.

Your helmet can sometimes suck. Yes. Mines does suck bugs into my temples. And it chatters without a good windshield. I need to position myself behind certain vehicles certain ways. My helmet noise determines my cruising attitude. It absolutely does. After four hours at the same high speed, you will know what I mean. Add duct tape. Add stick on elements to create turbulence. Feel the wind resistance. Know how your helmet integrates with your windshield.

Seen my setup? You can imagine it is highly developed. People interrupt me at burger joints and start asking questions. That should tell you something. I like the guys who say, “oh yeah, I stuck stuff to my helmet just like you did! It works, doesn’t it??”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Your gear integrates. Understand how your stuff fits together. The kidney belt is one of those toss-up items. It does more harm than good. Watch my highway peg video and see how a kidney belt dislocates your organs. Be prepared to re-assess and re-evaluate. The armor on the right has the kidney belt removed and is fitted to my body. The armor on the left will be fitted the same way before spring time.

My riding style is enduro/highway. A kidney belt does not go well with this style.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 1F4D2A0C-A091-4E32-9554-5F48E10B31AE.jpeg
    1F4D2A0C-A091-4E32-9554-5F48E10B31AE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Your riding gear should be multi-function. Don’t just ride with your gear. Use it. The macpac is 15 years old. That backpack has been around the globe. It has not lost a thread. It has dust and dirt in it from everywhere. I wont machine wash it. It only gets a bath of dish detergent and shampoo. Ever wonder why your gear wears out? Do you know what clothing detergent does to your fabrics? I have extremely old gear that still has all its threading. My wife stole my car. I stole her hiking gear.

Somewhere, there is an item of clothing for my skull with sharks teeth still in it. Did I find those sharks teeth on the beach? Baby shark teeth? Hmmm. Maybe a little larger… and a slightly closer encounter. I will find it. Wow. I can still feel the bump. Yow! Your gear tells stories. Know how to preserve it. Store it. Label it. Know where it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a riding sock drawer? I had to think about it for a moment. Yeah. This is a riding sock drawer. I am gear assessing today. And yup. That describes this drawer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been told in locker rooms that I have an amazing collection of body armor. Well. Yes. And only one photo of me in a cast. Ever. There is always an old pair and a new pair. A light duty pair. And a pair when I mean business. Since there is only one pair of arm guards, then I must find the other pair. Ah.. found them. The light pair seems not effective at first glance. I was at an old ski lodge. Someone on my student instructor team said those arm guards would never do anything… and why do I wear arm guards…. So I fore-armed a 7-inch hardwood 50-year-old support post while stepping into the strike. The building shook. Jaws dropped. I should have broken my arm. Someone asked if there was an earthquake, and we all laughed. Your equipment tells stories.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Light duty to medium duty gloves. No. This is not all of them. There is at least 7 more pairs. Some of them squeezed into my rain gear on my bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Ask yourself. Would your shoe be ripped off your foot in a 55mph crash. Think. Form-fitting boots with armored toes and heels. I drag my shoes at 50mph with the throttle on full. Do you? Alpinestars, Bates and Rockland. Left to right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you prepared to ride? Are you prepared for a Bengal tiger attack? Horde of invaders?

Unrelenting door-to-door missionaries perhaps? I am a head hunter. I can back that up with paperwork. I gotta answer the door, smile and tell them that.

Gotta be ready for anything. Right??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Get outta town!!! You never get outta town? You barely ever hit 50mph? Try Merrell shoes in their hiker line. I am very much against riding in short shoes. But. I also live in an environment where half the traffic is, well scooters. And it always rains. Yes. I did mean that head hunter business. It rains in the rain forest. It also rains where the rain forest was. And. It rains and rains and rains. Shoot. The parking garages are just as wet as anything because the rain gets into everything. So. If you gotta wear shoes to ride, wear the good ones. Firm soles. Toughened materials. Hiker laces.

Don’t wear running shoes. They will peel off your feet in an accident. They do. Is your passenger in flip-flops? Better keep it under 35mph.

Attachments

• 80207C70-C504-473C-93B4-27582E84AD94.jpeg
    80207C70-C504-473C-93B4-27582E84AD94.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 22B7258F-AB9C-49E1-8AE1-1F475B32E7DF.jpeg
    22B7258F-AB9C-49E1-8AE1-1F475B32E7DF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 23918DBA-435D-4237-8C11-C713A07C423E.jpeg
    23918DBA-435D-4237-8C11-C713A07C423E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
My very best forum friend reminded me today that other people will always miss the mark about who you are. There is a fine line between genius and something much darker. He reminded me that no matter what you do, no matter how you feel, you should never make anything about yourself. The Ancient One said in Marvel, “It is not about you.”

It is all about being remembered for the good you brought others.

I love it when I get a high five after going airborne. It shows people what is possible.

Look for positivity in everything you do. I will be updating these posts with technical details as I find time to leave offerings in the worship room. Oh lord. It takes so long as an old man. I can then take all my posts I have queued up and hit PASTE. Yes. I may be a technology aficionado. Few ever get how or why I do things.

Oh. You may have noticed the pods on all my helmets. I voice command everything I can until I am out of internet network range. I have an infinite audio library. I learn new words in other languages while I ride. There’s an extremely popular motorcycle podcast which I would like to listen to in the near future. The only way you learn about the stuff is by talking to professionals on a regular basis. You cannot learn stuff in a vacuum. Because it just sucks.

I have completely lost track of what is on my playlist because it is just so damn huge. As you branch out into other cultures and other languages things just get bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger. I have been around the globe in both directions and it is not all that terribly big. Once you loop around it a few times you start exploring it’s depths: Culture, People, Comedy.

一个小孩儿问他的爸爸:“爸爸,结婚 需要 花 多少钱?”爸爸说:“儿子,我 不知道。 我 还在付款!”

Which makes perfect sense. There were 2000 people at my wedding. So they asked me to pay for it. Then they wanted some cows and pigs too. I sadly am not joking about that.

Don’t live in an online fantasy world. Get out and ride. Even if it is a scooter in the rainforest. Riding is the story of my young life, my adult life, and my middle-age crisis life. “Let’s not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.”

Eat Sleep Ride Repeat
—Rider of the Storm

Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Putty putty putty. What is it with this guy and putty? He’s nuts. Or so someone thinks.

Ever grab your pod at 80mph? I always grab my pod when I am going fast. Pod check!! Van Halen! Pod check complete.

You will find that as the wind passes through your blue tooth pod mount, your helmet chatters.

Putty is a fast-stick on-the-fly helmet mod that you can apply on-the-move. I kept a wad of putty on my parking brake lever. I would accellerate up to speed and listen. When a part of my helmet chatters, I stick a wad of putty there. Then I move it up. Then I move it down. Then I squish it. Eventually, you clean up all the buffeting and chatter. Your pod has wind drag. Ever want that neck spinning drag to stop??

I had long since perfected my windshield shape. I may make future mods because I want to try something new that I can undo.

Oh.. yeah. Dammit. I gotta plan this crap out better. Yeah. Umm. UNDO. The famous UNDO button on your computer screen. You wanna make mods on-the-fly that you can do and UNDO on-the-fly. Putty. Amazing!!!

That teenager at the hardware store. One one that said, “I see you fixed your wind chatter problem”. It is never about what you think you fixed. It is that little affirmation that you still got brains after all these years.

Attachments

• C81619A9-2F20-40C4-8C32-B0F68986CAF8.jpeg
    C81619A9-2F20-40C4-8C32-B0F68986CAF8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • E68D91BF-B0A1-4AF4-93E8-4F864D24A926.jpeg
    E68D91BF-B0A1-4AF4-93E8-4F864D24A926.jpeg
  • 9D5A154D-2537-4E5D-89CF-0001C7F9E1BF.jpeg
    9D5A154D-2537-4E5D-89CF-0001C7F9E1BF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for my first 500 views on a single video. I strongly encourage anyone who has a weekend to start a youtube channel and post your first video of you enjoying your bike. Once you realize what it means to explain something to someone else, you will improve your thought organization. You will watch everyone else’s videos while trying to figure out what works and what you want to record. You will also learn a few things along the way. Hmm. Okaaaay… I learned a whole lotta crap. As in, I could not have chosen a better platform to build upon.

I just had to be honest. I have maintenance shop-level knowledge. It took a while, but I got there.

I recorded my vacation from my daily NC700 life and that is on my channel too. Youtube is free. Free! Free storage. Let me say it again. Free. Not a free trial. Not a trimmed down BS app for your phone full of ads and distractions. Free storage. Free sharing. Be smarter. Share your shine-ola. Why am I telling you all my secrets to success? For that, you must mail $1 to Secrets of Success, p.o. Box 42, WallaWalla Washington with your e-mail address on the back of the envelope. [over-the-top investment joke removed because someone asked me to]

Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
And most importantly, get out there and ride. I mean. Out there. And ride!!!

Soak up as many sunsets as you can. Anyone can talk “the talk”. Pouvez-vous marcher "la marche"?? I did 50 skidded turns under DCT throttle. 20 braking turning slides. Then I realized I forgot to wear my knee guards. It was supposed to be an in-town ride, but the sunset grabbed hold.

Eat sleep ride repeat
—Rider of the storm.

Attachments

• F69E3869-52D4-4545-BBEA-D5E06EF39F18.jpeg
    F69E3869-52D4-4545-BBEA-D5E06EF39F18.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 4
  • A5410599-29AF-40A8-9E65-E9F2EE63DD7E.jpeg
    A5410599-29AF-40A8-9E65-E9F2EE63DD7E.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 2
  • D8FD0C48-2286-474E-8079-5B4DFD97ECD3.jpeg
    D8FD0C48-2286-474E-8079-5B4DFD97ECD3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • A9B82586-85B8-42D0-A79F-007F869C76D1.jpeg
    A9B82586-85B8-42D0-A79F-007F869C76D1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow don’t you just hate it when your nuts just drop out suddenly? Especially when people are watching. It is so embarrassing.

The plastic on your GoPro cameras can sometimes loosen up and the nuts will simply fall out. I was tightening up my camera for another ride yesterday, when the nut fell out of the mount, rolled down my knee, bounced off my shoe and disappeared. This is Murphy’s Law. The nut will find a hole in the ground or a metal grate or disappear off a cliff. Always carry a spare hardware kit.

Attachments

• B24A83AF-25A2-4882-8196-30ACF3B94B3A.jpeg
    B24A83AF-25A2-4882-8196-30ACF3B94B3A.jpeg
    779.5 KB · Views: 2

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
What do I do when things go horribly wrong? I call for a rescue. I always have my rescue trailer standing by. It has four 500 pound mount points on each corner and a Tire Stop in the front. This is the bare minimum for getting your NC home. I always have four anchor straps and a dozen bungees standing by. I also have not one, but a group of people to call and backup power to my phone.

Then you need to think about others. You need to bundle it. And make it accessible to others. Then you need a gigantic wall sign with an arrow that says: “In case of sh!t hitting the fan, trailer kit ——>”. Your rescuer will probably need to take off work. Or just not know where all your stuff is. So. Pump up your trailer tires and get ready for the next rescue.

Your bike may have quit on a highway bridge with concrete barriers. It is probably late at night and Denny’s is closing. No gas station will give you an outlet. And. Your battery is going dead. No GPS. No help for rescue. Nothing. So. First thing! Text your exact GPS location by photo. Then the address of the nearest Denny’s. Then. Text everybody. Then call.

Then you gotta make deals. Like. Everybody gets ice cream. Or Pizza. Don’t be a jerk. People like a party. Make your rescue a party!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Tips on phone mounts. You already know I am a rocking off roader. You know I ride in the rain. My videos speak to that. Always use a water resistant phone case. Do not mount up a bare phone. You are asking for trouble.

Water Resistant Case prices:

Verizon: $70
Wal Mart: $20

And. I can file off the offending button on the cheaper plastic case. And. It is stronger than the $70 one. Yes. My volume down button offends me. So, I filed it down flush with the case. Try that on your new Galaxy. Right??? Get a case.

Always use a phone bungie. I shake the crap out of my bike. Never fear the loss of your phone.

Mark your phone bungie. It has a top and a bottom.

Notch your Ram mount rubber if a button is offending. If that does not work, file that button down.

You can see I notched my RAM rubber, but then I filed down the button. Do not slice the button off. You can hurt yourself or open up the side of your water proof case. Use caution.

Want to enjoy yourself more? Get creative with a rubber.

Am I smarter than the average Pic-o-nick basket? Please like my post.

Attachments

• B185C446-4D9A-4F22-841F-A994A6207D1F.jpeg
    B185C446-4D9A-4F22-841F-A994A6207D1F.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 4

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
So, you figured out that I know my crap better than an obese villain from a movie featuring Austin Powers. Hey wait! I did not have any corn!! I ride on a lot of tires. Hmm let me restate that. I owned a lot of bikes, a trike, a drag racer. All of it. So. Where do I go for tires when I need do-it-all tires? Well. Dunlop makes a good mostly street all-weather tire in the Dunlop D404. I love that tire. And the tire can handle a lot of weight and a lot of braking before turning to mush. But. I do not ride double anymore unless I am on a scooter. So. What goes on my NC700??? Shinko E-705 in a 70 series. Why 70? Does that look all balloonie? Nah. It actually is pretty good. The contact patch is wide. The all-weather grip is awesome.

Attachments

• C6F17CE7-DAD7-4663-AA52-A633CFB1361F.jpeg
    C6F17CE7-DAD7-4663-AA52-A633CFB1361F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 93102C57-AEB6-49EE-A9A1-F0DE19CAA5E8.jpeg
    93102C57-AEB6-49EE-A9A1-F0DE19CAA5E8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2C2D557A-21A2-49CF-8354-75F335442634.jpeg
    2C2D557A-21A2-49CF-8354-75F335442634.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0