• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PGMFI light just came on

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Fired my bike up for my daily ride , headed up the drive and the PGMFI light came on (looks like a check engine light in a car). Looked in the manual and it says it an issue in the programmed fuel injection. Anyone ever experience this? I'll call the dealer Tuesday, but I just rode it 43 miles yesterday and it was fine.

Fired my bike up for my daily ride , headed up the drive and the PGMFI light came on (looks like a check engine light in a car). Looked in the manual and it says it an issue in the programmed fuel injection. Anyone ever experience this? I'll call the dealer Tuesday, but I just rode it 43 miles yesterday and it was fine.
In the old days (2012-2015) one could lower the side stand with the transmission in neutral and the engine running, and the light would flash out the fault code. A quick look in the setvice manual would tell what the fault was. I understand that feature no longer exists on later models. Good luck with dealer. Report back.

Any chance a wire connector was knocked loose on your recent oil change?

I don't see how it was just an oil change with no body panel removals.. drain plug and oil fill caps are the only things I messed with.

I think the last time I saw that was on my Goldwing and it meant I needed a new battery. Something you can check?

Battery reads 12.5 on the gauge, and 14.2-14.6 while running and the bike's only 1 1/2 years old, and ridden daily. Don't think it's the battery.
I didn't either since mine was just over 1 year old at the time and always on a battery tender. Managed to get it to the dealer who put in the new battery (no cost since it was so new) and all was fine afterwards. I didn't test mine to see how it read but yours sounds pretty reasonable.

Are you able to record a short video of your instruments display (combination meter) and post it here?
There is a chance that a DTC (trouble code) could be read, if present. This information may also be useful to your dealer.

No I don't know how to record or post videos.

I could post a still pic but all it will show is all the lights coming on when the key is turned on with the water temp light going out immediately,

then all lights going out but the neutral light, tc light, oil pressure light, ABS light and PGMFI light when the starter button is hit, with the oil pressure light going out as soon as it is starts , leaving Neutral, ABS, TC and PGMFI light on when running.

The Neutral light goes out when put in gear and the TC and ABS light go out when it hits 5- 6 mph, leaving just the PGMFI light on.

It runs ok at least in the couple of tenths of a mile I rode it, it shifted fine, revs good with the bike in neutral.

Last edited:
lootzyan..I posted a detailed reply, but then edited it, and it's now waiting for moderator approval, but the short answer is no I don't know how to post vids.

From what you say the MIL light stays On (doesn't blink) after the engine starts. This is indeed, in most cases, a problem to be solved by the technician.
(One of the reasons mentioned in SM is a problem with the serial communication line to PCM, but that's just guesswork.)
I have to go...

Well this is crazy. Buddy of mine with NC 750 comes over to look at the bike. Turn the key on, fire it up and the light goes out. What???

Will try it again tomorrow and see what happens.

Crazy. ( but I'll be thrilled if it stays off)

To be continued ......... lol

This could be an occasional faulty connection between combination meter (display) and PCM, mentioned in SM as serial communication line. The easiest is to disconnect the connectors from the combination meter and from the PCM, spray with contact cleaner and reconnect. There is no good way to test the electrical connection. If the devices work fine, then the connection is good. Over time, corrosion deteriorates the connection.

Ferret, check your battery connections. Disconnect them, clean the battery posts and the cable ends. I had the mil light once and the problem was either a loose connection at the display or loose battery connections. It came on while I was in the Smokies, and since it was running fine, I didn't mess with it until I got home. I rode 4 days in the Smokies and 400 miles back home. No problem. After I disconnected/reconnected both the didplay and battery connections...no issue since and that was 4/5 years ago. I had numerous items connected directly to the battery and since installed a fuse block.

Well, it's a really dark, damp and dreary day today, low 30's and misting. With the temp, I'm surprised it's not snowing. As such, I'm not riding today, but I did go to the garage and started the NC and the PGMFI light went right out.

When it gets a little warmer, I'll check the battery terminals for tightness as suggested. I'm hoping it was just an anomaly.

Well, it's a really dark, damp and dreary day today, low 30's and misting. With the temp, I'm surprised it's not snowing. As such, I'm not riding today, but I did go to the garage and started the NC and the PGMFI light went right out.

When it gets a little warmer, I'll check the battery terminals for tightness as suggested. I'm hoping it was just an anomaly.
I would disconnect them and clean them, not just check for tightness.

When the battery gets low on startup, the PGFMI light comes on.
Its finicky, happens on other Honda models too.
Its the new electronics, they are very sensitive to voltage.
The light usually goes out within a day or so.
No worries.
Good suggestion to check the cable bolts and clean them.:)

Last edited:
Well, knock on wood, it's been 7 rides and over 300 miles since the PGMFI light came on and went out again. I haven't done a thing to the bike other than ride it. The battery still reads good at 13.0V with a digital gauge after sitting over night., and 12.5 when I turn on the key, and charging at 14.2-14.6 while running.

Assuming at this point it was some kind of anomaly, but will keep an eye on it, and report back if it comes on again.

Back