• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Picking up a '13 NC700X Thursday!

Is the ignition key supposed to be same as frunk key, or 2 separate keys?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The 2013 comes from the factory with two identical keys. The keys both fit the ignition and the frunk/rear seat lock.

A mod some people make is to cut down the shaft of a key, usually a spare blank they purchased and had copied by a locksmith, and put a knob on it, and leave it in the frunk lock for convenience. The shortened key works in the frunk but it's too short to work in the ignition lock, hence the modified frunk key cannot be used to start the bike.

The R-Gaza engine guards stick out farther on each side. The don’t own these so no experience with them.

JT

The 2013 comes from the factory with two identical keys. The keys both fit the ignition and the frunk/rear seat lock.

A mod some people make is to cut down the shaft of a key, usually a spare blank they purchased and had copied by a locksmith, and put a knob on it, and leave it in the frunk lock for convenience. The shortened key works in the frunk but it's too short to work in the ignition lock, hence the modified frunk key cannot be used to start the bike.

These keys look almost identical, with 1 or 2 of the cuts being flatter on one than the other. Both are still full keys with the rubber honda handle/knob whatever you call it. There is also a dark smudge in the lcd screen of the display that looks like maybe it sat outside and the sun was at the right angle to shine through the windscreen and heat it up / burn it. There are a few light scratches on the right side engine case, but overall it is in great shape and the Pilot Road 5 tires on it are brand new!

It has lowering links on rear shock and the front fork tubes have been slipped through the triple trees so I will have to raise it back to stock. He gave me the oem dogbone links with it. My legs will be plenty long enough for it at normal ride height.

The R-Gaza engine guards stick out farther on each side. The don’t own these so no experience with them.

JT

I think the Givi's will stick out plenty far enough for what I need, don't want them out too far. I just think the frame mounted pegs I ordered will be a little too close to the body of the bike for me to utilize the full peg with my foot. Still gonna mount them and give it a try though.

If you go with the SW Motech engine guards, understand that the tubes are 25 mm outside diameter. I’ve got these and it was hard finding highway peg clamps that fit this diameter well. I think some of the Kuryakyn expensive ones do this, but I didn’t find anything that I considered affordable that fit this diameter well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Revisiting this. I am prepping to buy engine guards, as I do not think the frame mounted pegs are going to work. Studying the design of both, I think the SW Motechs shape may be less instrusive against my leg than the Givis. So....everything I find in description of the SW Motech bars from places I can order online says they are fabricated with 27mm tubing, not 25mm. Maybe they used to be made from 25mm but now its 27mm?

Since that is only 1.6mm larger than 1", reckon Kuryakyn's 1" clamps for their pegs will work perfectly and tighten up really tight on it? Surely that wouldn't be too big for them to work right? I'd imagine they can accommodate at least a couple mm larger before not fitting at all. I may buy 1" clamps for the offset pegs that I ordered and just use them. Even tho I'd rather have black pegs/mounts. But really main priority is finding something that works. Lol

Duh - thanks for checking. I just went back through my records and, yes, SW Motech engine guard uses 27mm tubes, not 25mm. The 1” clamps I tried would not close enough to thread the bolts. And of course the 1.25” are too big.

I ended up using 1.25” clamps and using some neoprene wrapped on the inside to get it to fit. Not elegant but it ended up working reasonably well, but the pegs will rotate on the tubes if I put too much leg pressure on the pegs (like if it stretch against them).

Duh - thanks for checking. I just went back through my records and, yes, SW Motech engine guard uses 27mm tubes, not 25mm. The 1” clamps I tried would not close enough to thread the bolts. And of course the 1.25” are too big.

I ended up using 1.25” clamps and using some neoprene wrapped on the inside to get it to fit. Not elegant but it ended up working reasonably well, but the pegs will rotate on the tubes if I put too much leg pressure on the pegs (like if it stretch against them).

But they were not kuryakyn clamps?

I know I've rambled a lot, but didn't see an answer to where y'all buy oem Honda stuff. Is there a website or online dealer? Or do yall just go through your local dealer? I will definitely be interested in oem honda center stand and the oem honda bags and mounting brackets.

I just go to my dealer where I bought my bike(s). They treat me very well, and I don’t mind paying a little extra to support them.

I just go to my dealer where I bought my bike(s). They treat me very well, and I don’t mind paying a little extra to support them.

I ordered the OEM Honda center stand from procaliber.com for $119. Hope it comes in quickly so I can use it to to help when I raise it back to normal ride height.

Will probably hold off on the Honda bags, as I may end up buying the GIVI E22N bags later. I gotta make sure I can ride this thing good first with my leg. Got that big ride May 18th, and if I ride the NC I will need bags, so I may order them next week.

Got the Yoshi exhaust ordered on ebay. Most are listed for $549, few have them listed for $521, and a couple have them listed for $521 or best offer. I sent an offer of $505 shipped on one of them and they accepted today, so it will be here next week.

My frame mount highway pegs delivered today and I am at work right now, so I am going to mount them late tonight after work and see how they work. Maybe, if nothing else, I can go for a brief midnight ride to really get a feel of the ole NC and see if I am going to have to order engine guards and possibly different highway pegs.

I need to figure out how all the grab handle/ bag bracket / rear rack stuff mounts up. I have looked at givi and kappa bags and really dont see any I like better than the oem honda bags. Functionality matters but that's second to aesthetics. Lol.

The Givi v35's with the gloss silver inserts look pretty awesome from the side but are a little wider than what I prefer

I need to figure out how all the grab handle/ bag bracket / rear rack stuff mounts up. I have looked at givi and kappa bags and really dont see any I like better than the oem honda bags. Functionality matters but that's second to aesthetics. Lol.

The Givi v35's with the gloss silver inserts look pretty awesome from the side but are a little wider than what I prefer.

I have the Givi V35 Monokey bags. I like them a lot, and I think they look quite good on the bike. I didn’t have to replace the grab handles or anything. They are easy to put on and take off, and the brackets by themselves are not obtrusive.
Sorry about the photo- I don’t know how to get it right side up!
8FC06DF6-04A4-4F07-834B-A1ADB21799EA.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Givi V35 Monokey bags. I like them a lot, and I think they look quite good on the bike. I didn’t have to replace the grab handles or anything. They are easy to put on and take off, and the brackets by themselves are not obtrusive.
View attachment 38108

Have any pics from the back? Ones I have saw, the bags look really wide. From the side angle they look perfect, especially the silver painted part. I just don't know if the wideness would bother me looking at it. I'm weird with aesthetics. If I don't like looking at it, I don't like it at all. LOL

No. I didn’t want to pay that much for pegs and gamble they wouldn’t fit.

Or they could have actually fit perfectly and you would have been completely happy and money well spent. Most of the time, in my experience, cheaping out can lead to spending a dollar in an attempt to save a dime. You could buy from a reputable company like Revzilla that offers hassle free returns so you can try and send back if they don't work.

That said, my impatience led me to buy frame mounted highway pegs from an ebay seller that is probably not worth trying to return items to, and they probably won't work for my specific application, so I'll probably sell at a loss on here or ebay. Sometimes it's just a crapshoot. Lol

Have any pics from the back? Ones I have saw, the bags look really wide. From the side angle they look perfect, especially the silver painted part. I just don't know if the wideness would bother me looking at it. I'm weird with aesthetics. If I don't like looking at it, I don't like it at all. LOL
5682F5CA-3820-4874-B8EA-CF0EA0A79CB6.jpg
Here is the only picture I have from behind.

Can someone please tell me how to get these pictures right side up?

How are you posting them? I've found the easiest way to share pics on forums is to use Tapatalk. I have been using it for years and it's about the easiest method there is to share straight from your phone. Your pics are not only sideways, but they are also fairly small.

View attachment 38108
[emoji1360]
955844c8ca2109217f6f4de5a5eb927c.jpg

aa4ab033cc98804e971612817f9eb942.jpg

Holy balls! Can't wipe the smile off my face! Frame mounted highway peg worked 100% perfectly! They stuck out much farther than I figured they would.

Just went for a 42 mile loop ride at 1am LOL! This thing is so freakin' cool! Autoshift is so awesome (and way different!). Thing handles just as I hoped it would! This is the first non-cruiser I have been able to ride in over 9 years!

447b7cb2e1e3fe7eb41fe67b2ffc0977.jpg

1ebe718e74580575a8e27c29454ed6b0.jpg

262b492ca36fb63c17201c60b371f49e.jpg

Kuryakyn 1.35" clamps kinda scared me at first. They looked way too small, but tightened up fine although there's still a bit of a gap. Was afraid to go any tighter with it. It ain't moving at all though!

681df1ec4fd036dd90781780264df8d4.jpg

ae94f856f4ba49e84a4999d210b836d2.jpg

Still not pinching that washer in the middle, but it's darn tight!

5c9665701a012e9be67436fb1cd043da.jpg

83cd6eabe8a32ec3016621778ba11edf.jpg

ad0e0ad51c72d2d65c5be74f76246d9a.jpg

06a3f7a876bad0b45d0f77179f69b140.jpg

c0ac827016e8d2c5bf7f90932cecf269.jpg

118240f6d91e7bca966b10506ef1cbc0.jpg

Suspension on these things is better than I expected (really didn't know what to expect). And the Michelin PR5's feel awesome. So nimble!

614dad8164982d76e4aef27d61d6a198.jpg

b212e4626a1c43312d924b1f07314fdc.jpg

Seat....let's talk about seats. Might be ordering a Sargent soon, or another brand if y'all have recommendations. I forgot what it was like sitting on a small sportbike like seat. Been out of that game for way too long. This big ole cushy oem Nomad seat will spoil a man! And his passenger! Lol

006fe4f7b84ba0c75f035d0277e6fec6.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of seats, there are probably over a hundred threads on this forum about seats. The seat is the NC700X’s sore spot (pun intended). Largely because of the frame layout in that area, the seat has a forward slope.

I have tried the following seats: stock, Sargent, Saddlemen, Shad, Seat Concepts, and Russell. I am still looking for a really good seat. The bar/peg/seat relationship and the seat slope seem to be the problems for me. The pegs are too far rearward and the bars too far forward, so it is not possible for me to sit upright and support my weight squarely on my butt, on a seat that doesn’t slope forward, as I would on a Goldwing, or even a CRF250L dual sport. In some ways I find the CRF dual sport seat, which looks like a vinyl wrapped 2x6, to be more comfortable than the NC’s seat. That’s the reason I’m soon riding to Alaska on the Goldwing, not on the NC. Nonetheless, I’ve ridden 45,000 miles on NC700Xs, and it’s a great bike for trips of 2000 miles or less.

Good luck in your search for the perfect seat.

Last edited:
How did the Seat Concepts re-cover compare to the rest? Wouldn't take much to be an improvement. The stock one is just so firm.

How did the Seat Concepts re-cover compare to the rest? Wouldn't take much to be an improvement. The stock one is just so firm.

The Seat Concepts was one of the few seats that eliminated the forward slope. It is wider than stock at both the front and the rear, and taller than stock at the front. It is available in different foam densities, from what I read. I think it works best for taller, larger riders. It was too wide at the front for me, and caused some difficulty reaching the ground with a 32 inch inseam. If it fits your body size and inseam, it’s a good seat. Some forum members reported that they loved it, but it won’t fit everyone.

Seat Concepts also offers a “low” version, but I don’t have any experience with that one. You can’t trim too much foam off an NC seat at the rear without ending up sitting on the pan.

Back