• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pilot Road 4

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have loved the PR4's on my 2015 DCT since the crappy OEM Dunlops wore out at 4,200 miles. The rear PR4 is just now hitting the top of the wear bars at just 9,800 miles (new one on order). These have been amazing tires that grip like hell in wet or dry conditions. I ride 98% on the road so I biased heavily toward great gripping street tires. On few fire roads/gravel roads I've ridden the tires held up fine ... I kept up with a Wee Strom and 1200GS with no issues.

They are more expensive than other choices, but for road use, and great hold in wet conditions, I don't think these can be beat.

I agree. After the first time trying them I haven't put anything else on. Long lasting and great grip in any condition

tire tech talk?

Yeah, multicompound tires may cost more but they seem to give that back in longevity and grip, which is both pleasure and safety.

I've had a really good experience with my Michelin Pilot Road tires too. I had to replace my crappy factory Dunlops at 2500 miles. I have had this front PR4 and rear PR3 on the bike for over 11,000 miles now. I think I can get quite a few more miles out of them.

20170707_210845.jpg
20170707_204804.jpg

My dilemma: as amazing as these tires have been, I'd be a fool not to choose PR4s again, right? However, I really want some tires that are more off-pavement friendly next.

I've had a really good experience with my Michelin Pilot Road tires too. I had to replace my crappy factory Dunlops at 2500 miles. I have had this front PR4 and rear PR3 on the bike for over 11,000 miles now. I think I can get quite a few more miles out of them.

View attachment 34066
View attachment 34065

My dilemma: as amazing as these tires have been, I'd be a fool not to choose PR4s again, right? However, I really want some tires that are more off-pavement friendly next.
Yeah I wish I could get some on off road tires but I commute and put a lot of miles on my NC on pavement. I was thinking of getting a second set of rims so I could have one for on road and one off, just swap them over but the rims cost so much I'm thinking of getting a CR600L or CR650L instead.

I haven't had a tire that will compare to the PR 3-4 yet. Amazing grip and longevity. I'm running Shinko 705's now. Not even close to the grip of the PR's. I had to tone down a bit on the curves, but a heck of a bang for the buck tire.

I haven't had a tire that will compare to the PR 3-4 yet. Amazing grip and longevity. I'm running Shinko 705's now. Not even close to the grip of the PR's. I had to tone down a bit on the curves, but a heck of a bang for the buck tire.

I'm in the same boat as rippin209. I commute and ride pavement most of the time on my NC. So, I should be thrilled with my Pilot Road 3/4. Plus, I think they are THE best tire made for wet roads.

It's those 3 or 4 chances a year that I get to run gravel/dirt roads and miss out because my KLR is at home that makes me want to get something like TKC80s or 805s.

The PR3's I used to have on my bike were fantastic tires. It was very easy to change direction mid-corner. They just could not deal with the serrated knives made of slate that some of the towns here in Vermont use to surface their roads. One serious puncture and a near miss in a couple of days sent me to the Shinko 705's. The Shinko's are noisier with more vibration felt through the handlebars and nowhere near as sticky as the PR's but seem to be holding up well after all of the miles of dirt I've been riding this year.

I put PR4's on my NC back in December after I lowsided the bike on a wet road going a mere 5 MPH on the stock Dunlops. I haven't looked back, they have been excellent tires that provide great handling and grip. I can't see myself ever buying anything else. It kills me how people are willing to spend $700 on a helmet but want to cheap out on tires. In my opinion tires are one of the most important things you can put on your bike in regards to safety, don't cheap out and buy a good set that matches your riding conditions.

I put the PR4's on earlier this year after a little over 6500 miles on the OEM Dunlop's. Have been very happy with them so far. I believe the only other option I would consider for all road wet/dry commuting was a new model Continental that I read about not so long ago. Reviews for it were minimal due to it being new, and obviously no long term or high mileage comments yet, but initial feelings were very positive. I think there was even a review of it on this forum somewhere.

I bought my first set of PR4s when they first came out. Great tire. I went through a total of three rear tires and two fronts before recently trying the Conti Motions. I'm not trying to start a debate just stating my opinion. There are things I like about the Conti Motions and there are things I do not like. After the Conti's wear out, I will be going back to the more expensive PR4s. I'll just leave it at that. It is best for everyone to make there own options so I'll will not discuss my reason but I regret leaving the PR4 to save a few bucks.

Still incredibly pleased by the multi-compound Avon TrailRider for wet and dry pavement and gravel, hardpack, and rock. The PR4 actually influenced that choice though, with reports of longevity and superior grip. We'll see if the TrailRider can rack up the miles though.

Just ordered the rear PR4 through RevZilla courtesy of their awesome price matching policy. Hopefully here by the weekend so I can have the fun of mounting :eek:

Still incredibly pleased by the multi-compound Avon TrailRider for wet and dry pavement and gravel, hardpack, and rock. The PR4 actually influenced that choice though, with reports of longevity and superior grip. We'll see if the TrailRider can rack up the miles though.

4,000 miles on my Trailriders. Don't feel like I gave up any pavement performance over PR4s but major improvement off pavement. Need to get at least 3,000 more to match PR4 life on rear.

I repeat myself but I'm an outlier on Pilot Roads, I just don't like them. I ran PR 1s, 2s, and 3s on the ST1300 but did not like the way the supple sidewalls feel in corners. Unlike stiffer tires they do not take a set at corner entry but rather set up an initial yaw angle that later requires a mid turn correction to hold a steady arc, sometimes two corrections. My favorite tire was the Avon Storms in the mid 2000s but they changed tire models and a couple LD long distance riders I knew crashed on Avons that came apart at speed. At the time the PR 1s were new and hot and I stayed on Michelins for 5 or 6 years until the Bridgestone BT023s came out. Hoping that it was just the ST that fifty penced on PRs I tried a set of 3s on my 2012 NC and the results were the same. When the 4s came out as OEM on the 2014 watercooled BMW RT I read two bike reviews that said the same thing about 4s' squishy ride so I was spared trying them again thinking the 4s were different. Mind you Pilot Roads never ever lack for grip in wet or dry and have a soft supple ride but I like feedback over ultimate grip and mileage. The tires I do like have plenty of grip, that's not an issue, it's feedback and handling.

I repeat myself but I'm an outlier on Pilot Roads, I just don't like them. I ran PR 1s, 2s, and 3s on the ST1300 but did not like the way the supple sidewalls feel in corners. Unlike stiffer tires they do not take a set at corner entry but rather set up an initial yaw angle that later requires a mid turn correction to hold a steady arc, sometimes two corrections. My favorite tire was the Avon Storms in the mid 2000s but they changed tire models and a couple LD long distance riders I knew crashed on Avons that came apart at speed. At the time the PR 1s were new and hot and I stayed on Michelins for 5 or 6 years until the Bridgestone BT023s came out. Hoping that it was just the ST that fifty penced on PRs I tried a set of 3s on my 2012 NC and the results were the same. When the 4s came out as OEM on the 2014 watercooled BMW RT I read two bike reviews that said the same thing about 4s' squishy ride so I was spared trying them again thinking the 4s were different. Mind you Pilot Roads never ever lack for grip in wet or dry and have a soft supple ride but I like feedback over ultimate grip and mileage. The tires I do like have plenty of grip, that's not an issue, it's feedback and handling.
Did you have them at max psi? My front and back are at 42 psi anything close to mid 30's and I had a similar feeling above 40 and its much better

Last edited:
Back