• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pirelli Angel GT vs Michelin Road 6

Been reading a lot about these tires, it's interesting how mileage is so different per person.
While reading this I expected you to be an aggressive rider, but you claim to ride conservative, which is interesting...
The road conditions in my area are not ideal. A lot of chip and tar roads. It eats tires, especially softer compound tires.

Wore out a set of Road 5's on my NC, currently riding on Road 4's because I found them on sale. I commute, take long trips, and ride twisties HARD. Been really pleased with the Road 4's just as I was with the Road 5's. Doubt the Road 6 has enough benefits over either of the previous models to justify the cost, so in my opinion, I'd just grab whatever model you can find the cheapest price on in the Road 4, 5, or just go with the 6 if you can't find a deal on the 4 or 5.

As for Michelin vs. Pirelli, both are good tires, I've just always been fond of Michelin and have been happy with their performance. I run Michelin on my track NC, street NC, and would run Michelin on my cruiser too if they made something in a stock rear size 170/70/16, but apparently only like 4 manufacturers make that size and Michelin isn't one of them.

Wore out a set of Road 5's on my NC, currently riding on Road 4's because I found them on sale. I commute, take long trips, and ride twisties HARD. Been really pleased with the Road 4's just as I was with the Road 5's. Doubt the Road 6 has enough benefits over either of the previous models to justify the cost, so in my opinion, I'd just grab whatever model you can find the cheapest price on in the Road 4, 5, or just go with the 6 if you can't find a deal on the 4 or 5.

As for Michelin vs. Pirelli, both are good tires, I've just always been fond of Michelin and have been happy with their performance. I run Michelin on my track NC, street NC, and would run Michelin on my cruiser too if they made something in a stock rear size 170/70/16, but apparently only like 4 manufacturers make that size and Michelin isn't one of

What is the Michelin tire profile when mounted? The Pirelli in stock size had a tall, steep profile.

Update:

So the Pirelli's were not in stock and for the front tire they didn't know if it would be available at all.
Decided to go with the Michelin Road 6, treat my Honda with the latest tire "technology", why not.

And holy sh*t!!! what a difference, when I first rode away, the bike felt "planted" "stable" "heavier".
Did a little 100+km trip, the difference is absolutely night and day, it's like a different motorcycle or a completely upgraded suspension!

I am so happy I spend the money, not only for safety but also the fun factor, going into corners with full confidence now.

1657636599200.jpg
IMG_20220712_163835.jpg

Update:

So the Pirelli's were not in stock and for the front tire they didn't know if it would be available at all.
Decided to go with the Michelin Road 6, treat my Honda with the latest tire "technology", why not.

And holy sh*t!!! what a difference, when I first rode away, the bike felt "planted" "stable" "heavier".
Did a little 100+km trip, the difference is absolutely night and day, it's like a different motorcycle or a completely upgraded suspension!

I am so happy I spend the money, not only for safety but also the fun factor, going into corners with full confidence now.

View attachment 49809
View attachment 49810
That is awesome to hear! I had similar opinions on the Road 5s. I thought Dunlop RoadSmart IIIs could not be beat. I can't attest to wear amongst the Michelins and the Dunlop. The ride quality, however, is greatly improved with the Michelins.

I'm running the RoadSmart IV on my K1600. Michelin PR4s were on it previously. Not the same kind of bike AT ALL, so likely not a helpful comparison, but I'll update as the miles rack up. I'm very pleased with the feel and handling of them in the first couple thousand miles.

Anyone running the Dunlop Roadsmart and how do they compare to the Pirelli and Michelins
I had the Roadsmart IIIs. For me, and the way I ride, they were awesome. I don't like riding in the rain for a lot of reasons, but they really gripped in the wet conditions we find down here. They were really good for me as a tame rider. I had them on my VFR (which I rode both tamely and aggressively) and my wife on her CTX and they performed just as well on those bikes. In my opinion, the Michelin Road Vs are one notch above the Dunlop. Both are great premium tires, but the Michelin tires are more confidence inspiring.

My comments aren't helpful to an Angel GT vs Road 5 comparison but in previous versions of Michelin sport touring tires I never really liked their feel except in the rain. I'm talking about the original Pilot Road, the PR2, and the PR3. The sidewalls were soft and the cross section was very rounded giving them a vague feel in dry corners but in the rain they felt great. Those tires all wore in odd and unsymmetrical ways due I believe to dual compound construction. I swore off Michelins for a while then I bought a bike that had a set of Road 5s on it. I figured I would pull them off when I could but it turned out the R5s are a very different tire from previous Michelin sport touring tires and I really liked them. I had great confidence in wet and dry conditions plus the mileage was much more than I expected on a heavy sport tourer. I am now on the third consecutive set of R5s on that bike (a BMW R1200RT). On the current NC I am on a set of Pilot Powers. They are for me a good match and good value for the NC. The tire is an old but good selling model for them and you can catch them on sale relatively cheap. Only the rear tire of my set is dual compound Power 2CT and it's hard compound center section is quite wide at 78% so the tires don't seem to wear with lumps and scallops but the NC's 50ish horsepower probably has a lot to do with that.

My comments aren't helpful to an Angel GT vs Road 5 comparison but in previous versions of Michelin sport touring tires I never really liked their feel except in the rain. I'm talking about the original Pilot Road, the PR2, and the PR3. The sidewalls were soft and the cross section was very rounded giving them a vague feel in dry corners but in the rain they felt great. Those tires all wore in odd and unsymmetrical ways due I believe to dual compound construction. I swore off Michelins for a while then I bought a bike that had a set of Road 5s on it. I figured I would pull them off when I could but it turned out the R5s are a very different tire from previous Michelin sport touring tires and I really liked them. I had great confidence in wet and dry conditions plus the mileage was much more than I expected on a heavy sport tourer. I am now on the third consecutive set of R5s on that bike (a BMW R1200RT). On the current NC I am on a set of Pilot Powers. They are for me a good match and good value for the NC. The tire is an old but good selling model for them and you can catch them on sale relatively cheap. Only the rear tire of my set is dual compound Power 2CT and it's hard compound center section is quite wide at 78% so the tires don't seem to wear with lumps and scallops but the NC's 50ish horsepower probably has a lot to do with that.
Not really sure it's even necessary with the R1200, but have you looked at running the Road 5 GT's since it's a bit heavier of a bike? Curious if they might last longer, as I know you put down some miles.

Not really sure it's even necessary with the R1200, but have you looked at running the Road 5 GT's since it's a bit heavier of a bike? Curious if they might last longer, as I know you put down some miles.
My buddy with a newer RT that weighs about 50 lbs more than mine runs GTs and I still get more mileage than he does. I might get longer wear with GTs but I’m not interested in trying I’m that smitten with them.

Back