• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Planned mods

Never heard of the Atlas before, looked it up watched a couple of videos looks interesting. Pricey little booger.

Interesting about the cramp buster too, I have had one on 3 or 4 bikes, never remember hitting it accidentally and revving the motor but I can see where that is possible.

I had Oxford heated grips on my ST 1300 and they were great on there. I've read so many threads on guys having issues with factory heated grips on several forums. I'm a little afraid of spending $400 for the factory heated grips

I really have no plans on touring with this bike at this point so I am not interested in hard bags or a trunk. I have no issues with soft bags and tail pack should I decide to try a tour before investing in hardware I don't need. I really am buying this for a local rides bike and can live with a tank bag and tail pack and the frunk lol. Years of touring have taught me to pack really small and light.

With regards to windshields I always take the factory stock shields and cut them lower down 5-7". Shorty shields. I like the wind, always have, and as long as the screen alleviates some pressure from collarbone down, I'm good. I run a cut down shield on my CB 1100 but as soon as my birthday rolls around in mid May, the shield comes off and I ride it shield less from May until October. I did run a Yamaha touring shield on the FJR during the winter, but a shorty shield all summer even on tours.

Lots of good suggestions and ideas for me to ponder.

I am a little concerned about the 2021 having linked brakes. Had a terrible experience with mine on the ST 1300. The secondary master cylinder malfunctioned and locked the rear wheel up while I was out for a ride with my wife. Big long skid mark, but we didn't go down thank goodness. Do any of the other NC 700/750's have linked brakes?
I've also had cramp busters on bikes without a unintended rev-the-motor issue but that's just me.

The linked brakes on the ST are a special case. When Honda said they need regular service and service done in a particular way they meant it. So many owners don't do service on time or do it at all or are forced to trust a dealer to do it hence the common ST SMC issue. I personally thought the brakes were brilliant on that bike and did not have an issue with them ever in 180,000 miles. I was always careful to pre-flight the freedom of movement of the rear wheel though and probably an owner shouldn't have to check that every time they get on the bike. If the bike had sold in larger numbers I believe Honda would have been forced into a recall situation like the Goldwing was.

On the NC the linked brakes lasted only a couple of years and the system did not have a mechanical linkage via a secondary master cylinder like the ST and some other Hondas do. It's never prompted a single post or thread I can recall.

Yea I've thought about bark busters, but on my ST and FJR I used handlebar mitts which I found to be great. Like little warm caves with the heated grips. I was able to wear thin unlined deerskin gloves down to zero degrees F comfortably. Just not sure how they will work with the DCT's parking brake yet. Going to have to figure that out, but I have an idea about cutting a trap door flap in the mitt. If that doesn't work out then I will have to go with bark busters.

recommendation for model?

Yea I've thought about bark busters, but on my ST and FJR I used handlebar mitts which I found to be great. Like little warm caves with the heated grips. I was able to wear thin unlined deerskin gloves down to zero degrees F comfortably. Just not sure how they will work with the DCT's parking brake yet. Going to have to figure that out, but I have an idea about cutting a trap door flap in the mitt. If that doesn't work out then I will have to go with bark busters.

I don't have a Honda NC, so I don't know for sure what will fit. I have Barkbuster Storms on my VStrom and really like the crash protection.
My wife will likely install them on her 2021 NC750X when it comes.
Barkbuster has a mitt that will fit over their metal.

I don't have a Honda NC, so I don't know for sure what will fit. I have Barkbuster Storms on my VStrom and really like the crash protection.
My wife will likely install them on her 2021 NC750X when it comes.
Barkbuster has a mitt that will fit over their metal.
I will look them up, thanks

I've also had cramp busters on bikes without a unintended rev-the-motor issue but that's just me.

The linked brakes on the ST are a special case. When Honda said they need regular service and service done in a particular way they meant it. So many owners don't do service on time or do it at all or are forced to trust a dealer to do it hence the common ST SMC issue. I personally thought the brakes were brilliant on that bike and did not have an issue with them ever in 180,000 miles. I was always careful to pre-flight the freedom of movement of the rear wheel though and probably an owner shouldn't have to check that every time they get on the bike. If the bike had sold in larger numbers I believe Honda would have been forced into a recall situation like the Goldwing was.

On the NC the linked brakes lasted only a couple of years and the system did not have a mechanical linkage via a secondary master cylinder like the ST and some other Hondas do. It's never prompted a single post or thread I can recall.
Yea I had mine serviced regularly. In fact 5 months and 9,900 miles before they locked up, but I think my issue was the all weather I ride in. Sun, wind, rain, snow, doesn't matter lol. I should have just replaced the SMC with a new one at 100,000 miles when I had a ton of other service done at the dealership like all new spark plugs, air cleaner, flush and replace fluids, new wheel bearings, lubing steering head bearings etc. I suppose. They did take it apart and clean it then, but apparently that was not enough given it's age.

Still, I don't want another bike with an SMC. An unnecessarily complicated piece of kit IMO.

Yea I had mine serviced regularly. In fact 5 months and 9,900 miles before they locked up, but I think my issue was the all weather I ride in. Sun, wind, rain, snow, doesn't matter lol. I should have just replaced the SMC with a new one at 100,000 miles when I had a ton of other service done at the dealership like all new spark plugs, air cleaner, flush and replace fluids, new wheel bearings, lubing steering head bearings etc. I suppose. They did take it apart and clean it then, but apparently that was not enough given it's age.

Still, I don't want another bike with an SMC. An unnecessarily complicated piece of kit IMO.
Respectfully have to disagree. I rode my ST year round in all weather except snow and sold it with the original SMC working perfectly. I don't think service techs work on many STs and don't take the time or follow the particular procedure to properly flush and bleed the fluid. I bought a project ST1300 at one point with complete service records and when I did a brake service getting the bike roadworthy a jelly-like substance instead of brake fluid came out of the proportioning valve. Even though the owner pointed with good reason to the regular services done when he sold it that brake fluid had probably been in that circuit since the factory. Because of the problems people have, I checked the freedom of movement of the rear wheel before every ride. At 127,000 miles I did have some corrosion on one of the pins the rear caliper slides on and caught the problem of a sticking rear caliper before it became a problem.

I've been using the Barkbuster "Storm", which works well but may be overkill. FWIW, Kaoko makes a version specifically for use w/ Barkbusters (dunno how it might differ from standard tho).

I am fully convinced that the Cramp Buster (and similar type items) are actually dangerous with a DCT transmission.
Agree witth you on the "Cramp Buster". I bought one. I put it on for this mornings ride. I took it off before the ride was over. Extending my fingers to grab the brake and I rolled the throttle and the bike jumped forward almost rear ending a truck. The cramp buster seems to accentuate any inadvertant wrist roll. Just a bit scary. No harm, no hurt. With a manual transmission I would have had the clutch pulled in and I would have just rev'ed the engine. Vroom Vroom.

Thinking about these for planned mods on my soon to take delivery of 2021 NC750X DCT

Hondaline Center stand
Hondaline rear rack
Pyramid or Puig Fenda Extender
Oxford heated grips
Cramp Buster or Kaoko Throttle lock
Battery Tender Pigtail (for keeping the battery up and running my electric jacket liner)
Givi NC750 Tank Bag

Thoughts or recommendations?
Coming up on a year since I started this thread, and a few days short of 9 months since I picked up my NC. About to turn over 11,000 miles in the next week or so.

As far as my plans for the NC went...well lol

I had the centerstand installed prior to picking up the bike.
Never got the luggage rack (they wanted $400 for it and I'm too frugal to spend that kind of money on a luggage rack). Haven't missed it.
Never got a fender extender
I bought the Oxford heated grips are they are still new in the box, up in my motorcycle room, never installed
Never got a cramp buster (since it was deemed dangerous) or Kaoko throttle lock
I did install the battery tender pigtail which I use everyday with my battery tender jr and for my electric jacket liner during winter rides
The Givi tank bag wouldnt mount on a 2021 so I didnt get that
So the best laid plans never materialized for the most part.

Something I did add that I hadn't originally planned on, was a Givi touring shield for winter and trips...as well as a cut down stock shield for summer. The stock shield just didnt cut it for me in summer or winter...too high in summer, too low in winter.

I'll get the Oxford Heated Grips on one of these days as I really missed having heated grips this winter.

Other than that, nothing else planned other than trying to wear it out by riding it as much as possible lol.

Coming up on a year since I started this thread, and a few days short of 9 months since I picked up my NC. About to turn over 11,000 miles in the next week or so.

As far as my plans for the NC went...well lol

I had the centerstand installed prior to picking up the bike.
Never got the luggage rack (they wanted $400 for it and I'm too frugal to spend that kind of money on a luggage rack). Haven't missed it.
Never got a fender extender
I bought the Oxford heated grips are they are still new in the box, up in my motorcycle room, never installed
Never got a cramp buster (since it was deemed dangerous) or Kaoko throttle lock
I did install the battery tender pigtail which I use everyday with my battery tender jr and for my electric jacket liner during winter rides
The Givi tank bag wouldnt mount on a 2021 so I didnt get that
So the best laid plans never materialized for the most part.

Something I did add that I hadn't originally planned on, was a Givi touring shield for winter and trips...as well as a cut down stock shield for summer. The stock shield just didnt cut it for me in summer or winter...too high in summer, too low in winter.

I'll get the Oxford Heated Grips on one of these days as I really missed having heated grips this winter.

Other than that, nothing else planned other than trying to wear it out by riding it as much as possible lol.

The hand guards and Oxford grips really make riding in colder weather much more comfortable. 11,000 miles in 9 months, wow. Curious how your tires are holding up and what replacemmens you might be considering.

Lee B.

The hand guards and Oxford grips really make riding in colder weather much more comfortable. 11,000 miles in 9 months, wow. Curious how your tires are holding up and what replacements you might be considering.

Lee B.
Lee, I have some clear handguards on for winter only, they will come off soon. In the summer I prefer the air and don't want my hands blocked. I usually run heated grips with handlebar mitts in the winter.

The stock Metzler's went 7130 miles and were replaced with Michelin Road 5's. Coming up on 4,000 miles on those and they still look good as would be expected at that mileage.

The NC shares miles with my CB 1100 (64,000 miles). I average about 20,000 miles and 300 days riding per year.

Back