• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Planning a RTW trip with a NC750XA

peergum

Reaction score
r-atw.com
Hi.

I'm planning a big change in my (half-through) life, and that also implies an undefined-duration (years at the least) round the world trip.
The NC750XA (2015) is my first bike (new), and so far it has given me a lot of riding pleasure, so even though I think there may be more common bikes for such an adventure (other Honda Adventure bikes or BMWs), I don't feel the need to change at this point.

The next steps are to equip the bike with a top box and side cases, get a bigger windshield, swap the tires for TKC-80's or Shinko 705's, install some protections (engine, radiator...), start working on all the necessary documentation/paperwork, and in the middle of it, possibly discover other bikers that have similar plans - even better if NC750XA riders themselves.

For the note, I'm French, currently residing in Vancouver, BC, Canada. An ideal start date would be November/December if I can get the paperwork done, with some possible run-up trip(s) around Canada and/or the States (if weather allows) before leaving for Central/South America or Europe (because of the weather, riding South may be a better option).

Feedback, anyone?

-Phil.

PS: bought the NC750XA service manual a few weeks ago.

Hook up with the horizons unlimited for planning.Two fellows did the trip to South America on NC's and wrote a blog. Might be some tips there. I just watched Oisin Hughes' videos of his RTW. Very interesting. Might be useful.
Looking forward to your reports.

I've been binge listening to the Adventure Rider Radio Motorcycle Podcast, which deals with world travel. Highly recommended. I'm jealous! Successful world travel bikes range from Honda Cub C90's, to Yamaha R1's, so you'll fit right in. I understand the same women has been doing Carnets (travel documents proving you haven't sold your bike & equipment in country without paying taxes) in Canada since 1987- so she knows her business (get for the countries you plan travel in & alternative routes) . Don't do a Charlie & Ewan- get it stamped in & out of each country, or you may be paying import duties on the bike you still have.

Here's the link to a toolkit thread for the basics- http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/8394-tool-kit.html

Last edited:
Thanks Harvey. Don't be jealous. Take the jump too

Bought Adventure Motorcyling Handbook by Chris Scott. It's a mine of information and it also mentions the carnet as a few other travel diaries I bought do also... definitey not something to miss...

I guess the next months will represent a lot a documentation effort.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hook up with the horizons unlimited for planning.Two fellows did the trip to South America on NC's and wrote a blog. Might be some tips there. I just watched Oisin Hughes' videos of his RTW. Very interesting. Might be useful.
Looking forward to your reports.

Posted a reply but I think it went to the limbo.

Thanks for the info. I'm on HUBB too and found great advices there already. Will look for the NC guys there.

Started a blog at r-atw.com about my trip but not much there yet. Planning to update as often as possible while on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is more than just a meeting (check the link for details) more like a 3 day convention geared towards the serious motorcycle traveler. Beyond the presentations and classes I would imagine a few helpful tidbits picked up from fellow riders who have years of experience would be worth the time and effort to get there.
Books are great, but nothing beats talking to those with first hand knowledge.

Enjoy!

It is more than just a meeting (check the link for details) more like a 3 day convention geared towards the serious motorcycle traveler. Beyond the presentations and classes I would imagine a few helpful tidbits picked up from fellow riders who have years of experience would be worth the time and effort to get there.

Enjoy!
Plus +1
I've been to HU events in both Stecoah, NC and Appomattox, VA during the past year. They are great and informative from people that have already 'done it'! I'll be at the next one in Yosemite and again at Stecoah.

Ray

Enjoy!

I noticed the duration and I totally agree with you that learning from experienced people is far better, but also note the guy that wrote the book - and the other ones I read too - ARE definitely experienced riders with first hand knowledge that did that kind of RTW trips for at least 4 years each. The author of the handbook has been on the road since 1980's and compiled many hints for the various regions, updating them in regular revisions of the book, possibly not all first hand though, but no good teacher knows everything first hand either. The best ones are the ones that can also learn from others :)

I also find that objectively compiled information is in general more useful at a planning point than details on specific issues, which are much more important when the trip
really happens. Obviously what helps in particularly annoying situations is to know the tricks to solve them, but you can't know all of them, obviously ;)

As I said, I won't be able to attend that one unfortunately, since I'll be finishing my current work at the end of September, but then I will be able to attend any, anywhere, any time after that - and possibly even after I start my trip... I definitely hope to meet think-alike people on the way, and share ideas, experiences (although mine would be quite limited as far as bikes are concerned).

And then I'll be sharing too, if I come back alive :)

Greeting and Bonne Chance from South Florida. I would suggest the following for your "motorad";

Skid (bash) plate from HondaBikePro (member of this forum)
Pillion seat replaced by rear seat rack with cut out for fueling from HondaBikePro
Givi engine guards (writeup on installing on this forum by Beemerphile)
Side case racks for SW-Motech, AltRider or such
Softbags from Moko MotoMosko Moto | Mosko Moto Store
A better seat?
Hand guards
Loud air horn
LED bulb (Cyclops is what I use) for headlight and LED running lights

The list goes on, check the Twisted Throttle website for items for the NC7xx model and there is also camping gear and protective clothing. Many recommend the KLIM Badlands Pro line.

You might also consider a seriously consider a Delorme InReach ExplorerDeLorme inReach - Two-way satellite text messaging, tracking and SOS anywhere in the world which is the best out there at a reasonable price. It uses the Iridium satellite constellation for a more comprehensive world wide coverage. It is available from Amazon.

I would also suggest that, if you haven't already done so, register (free) on the advrider.com forum and go to the Epic Rides thread and read some of those ride reports. They not only are entertaining with great photos, but a full of information on what to take, use, and border crossing details.

I have several to recommend listed below, but the Epic Ride thread has many more:

1. MotoMavericks ride WR250R's RTW. Motos, Beer, Adventure
2. Five BILLION inches…riding RTW and back…for as long as it takes
3. My Ticket To Ride the World... destination unknown!
4. 70 yr old women calling herself the ‘Old Weed’ is having her longest ride

LM,

Just ordered some boxes for the bike, after reading the whole corresponding thread on saddlebags: Givi V47 top box and Givi V35 for the sides + the corresponding mounting kits. I favored hard casing versus softbags for both safety and resistance - I hope I was right.

Also bought the SW Motech skid plate (SW-MOTECH Skid Plate for Honda NC700 & NC750 without DCT). All from Twisted Throttle.

Next in the list is a bigger windshield (possibly matstad 22", since I'm 6'2).

Although I'm sure the horn may be fun, is there a real gain in spending money in that?
What about the added benefits of the LED headlight and running lights? Is it really worth the money? Are these fog lights?

Then I plan to visit MEC for the camping gear.

Are heated garments a good/worthy thing? I'm sure if riding in the desert they may be useful - after dark at least, when temperatures fall significantly - or in winter time. Then I wonder about riding in snowy weather with possible snow/ice on the road? Does that even make sense? My skills at this point would definitely be pushed quite far in these conditions, so I may wait to get a better experience on common terrains first... After all I've only be riding for 4 months so far :)

Regarding satellite phone, I read about SPOT, which seemed interesting, all the more considering that you're like home in most places... I'll check Delorme to compare. I assume up to $2000 a year to get some unlimited phone, text and data coverage is probably useful, since I don't plan to come back in years, if ever... but obviously the more I can lower that expense, possibly getting a reasonable amount of talk time for the year will be good - as long as nobody puts me on hold for hours... Also note sure if 56Kbps data is still worth anything in this world where most sites are planned for 10+Mbps connections... and very few sites are still text only...

I'll check advrider.com too.

Thanks for the very many hints! :D

Good quality heated gear will come in handy. Warm and safe or gerbings. I was in Western US in June. Temps between 101F to 42F in one day's ride. Loved having mine.

Next in the list is a bigger windshield (possibly matstad 22", since I'm 6'2).

I have a 22" Madstad on a 700S. I think the mounting is different on the X but if you want to get a feel for it let me know. Living in Surrey and working in Delta.

Welcome to the club and good luck on your adventure :)

Hi potter0o,

Well, I'd love to see a photo if you have one. I sent an email to them today because I'm worried the windshield must look huge. What color did you choose? I was thinking of the smoke one (got the silver 2015 NC). Did you buy it direct from them, or through a canadian reseller? Couldn't find the 22" at Twisted Throttle...

Thanks!
-phil

Take a bike that you are capable of fixing by yourself in field conditions with your own tools (except for the welding machine, which is relatively easy to come by even in remote areas).

Last edited:
Head on over to the Horizons Unlimited Hubb and check the listings to see if anyone has already posted on taking this trip around the same time.. if not make your own post In their "Travelers seeking Travelers" thread. Even if they are only going part of the way.. having someone experienced to travel with will help you learn a great deal quickly that will be invaluable later in your trip after you go your separate ways.
Having someone who has already made a similar trip (sometimes multiple times) and can speak the language will make your trip much easier. They can also make sure you have everything you will need for your trip (paperwork, gear, etc).
Here is a link to the Horizons Unlimited Travelers seeking Travelers thread:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travellers-seeking-travellers/

Back