• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Planning a trip to see the "great North American solar eclipse" on August 21st

Once in a lifetime... until 2024....

Heck. I'm 65. I may not be here for that one... And this one is closer to home... ;-)
>T

20% chance of t-storms on Monday where I'm going. That's 80% chance of none.

The weather is looking pretty good right now for this area!! TWoS is going to serve lunch on Monday from 11:00 to 1:00 (I think) for those who want to see the Eclipse from there!!

Now all we have to deal with is traffic!! :cool:

Here's my view for Monday's event hopefully. From the Illinois side of the Mississippi looking into Missouri. Calling for partly cloudy here south of St Louis. Gonna scout out a few more locations this morning.
61cf52665432b4079b90760b43c2da34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Here's my view for Monday's event hopefully. From the Illinois side of the Mississippi looking into Missouri. Calling for partly cloudy here south of St Louis. Gonna scout out a few more locations this morning.
61cf52665432b4079b90760b43c2da34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to Granite City, IL where I'll spend the night camping. Monday morning I'll check the forecast to try to go to the spot around St Louis with best chance of clear sky. I'm prepared for traffic congestion.

We had planned to go to St. Joseph for a whole weekend of events, but family events intervened. We are going up to Kansas tomorrow. Apparently the current forecast in central USA is less chance of clouds further west, like Nebraska.
So we will get up Monday and check the weather to see where to go.
It is not like Kansas and Nebraska are full of tree topped mountains to block the view, so I think we can pretty much just find a city park or a dirt road and park.

OK! I'm set up in the path of the totality shadow. Now we wait.

Unfortunately I did not bring a motorcycle along. It's too hot and humid for that.

IMG_2908.jpg
IMG_2911.jpg

We had clear skies! The shadow just passed over us 50 minutes ago. So cool! In a matter of seconds it got quite dark out. The sun was a black ball with a ring of light around it. The campground erupted in cheers. A star or planet became easily visible in the sky. Like they say it's one thing to see it partial but a whole 'nother thing to see it total.

I hope everyone that got out had a good experience. We're looking forward to the next total solar eclipse in our area, in April 2024!

Last edited:
We had clear skies! The shadow just passed over us 50 minutes ago. So cool! In a matter of seconds it got quite dark out. The sun was a black ball with a ring of light around it. The campground erupted in cheers. A star or planet became easily visible in the sky. Like they say it's one thing to see it partial but a whole 'nother thing to see it total.

I hope everyone that got out had a good experience. We're looking forward to the next total solar eclipse in our area, in April 2024!
Same here. The open park was full of good humor and the high school stadium PA system across the way played a playlist all afternoon with songs having moon or sun in the lyrics. "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone" by Bill Withers and Cat Stevens' "Moon Shadow" are examples. Great time, glad I went.

I ended up staying home, we had torrential rains in the morning but the sky cleared up just before the eclipse started and stayed clear though totality, just over a minute at my house, and then it clouded up again about half way though the tail end of it, I was able to look up without the glasses then and just barely see the crescent sun though the clouds. A fifteen minute drive northeast I could of doubled my time in totality maybe, My son and DIL drove closer to the center line and because of clouds only had a few seconds of totality.

I did not take any pics myself but my friend Shuey took one of the image projected by my contraption about 5 minutes apart from beginning to totality. I hope they came out good.

We did not ride there, but we went to Highland, Kansas for totality. We got most of the effect, but clouds rolled in just as the time for totality came along. The people of the town and college there did a great job.

Just got back from Festus, MO. We've had clear skies It was out of this world experience. And from this world experience was commute back to Chicago. NC has done well. Not a hiccup. Another day's highlight was riding thru a thunderstorm after 10 hours in the saddle.

We're in the 100% totality path for 2024, should be able to pick up some of those fancy glasses on clearance right about now I reckon! :p We had about an 80% eclipse and a few of us at work stepped out and passed around a pair of glasses. Put them over my phone and captured the picture below. It was pretty cool, but I think the 100% is definitely the way to go!!

2017-08-21-14.32.31-web.jpg

Didnt make it as far as I wanted to, but I did get the scope out and get a few shots.

I will get some uploaded elsewhere, because apparently this site doesnt like my photo.

Back