• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PLASTI-DIP !!! Show us what you GOT !!!

Jay Fridays

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:cool: PLASTI-DIP !!!:cool:

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.....lol

Because of the simple and inexpensive applications, this product has been rapidly increasing in popularity.

Complete paint jobs, accent lines, racing stripes, tail pipes, coloring only the frunk, or the engine covers?

Metal flakes or Glossifier ?!?!

There are tons of different ideas and applications for plasti dip!! How did YOU do it? Where did you get it?

:rolleyes: SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT !!!!:rolleyes:

(does not have to be Plasti-Dip, any color changes welcome)

There are individual threads, but here we can all share and review the different applications and techniques used by other members.... Pictures, experiences, spray guns, thinning of the dip, dipping methods, tips, suggestions, questions, etc....

11.jpg

Last edited:
I'll kick it off... I know people have put up their own individual threads with different colors, but it would be nice to put them all in one place for everyone to see....

I went all black with mine... used rattle cans on everything. I dipped all the silver plastics and left the black plastics alone. I also dipped the aftermarket horn... cause it had a silver back plate.... I hung everything from clothes hangers with extra thick dental floss...( Pics show pieces tied to rack,this was before I learned that each piece should just have it's own hanger, and stay attached until the job is done.) No clear coat, however, I think I will add one for durability reasons... Yes it makes it more difficult to peel later on, but It will still peel relatively easily...

TIPS:

DO NOT USE MATTE CLEAR COAT !! leaves white powder residue...

WEAR GLOVES/LONG SLEEVES/MASK !! THis stuff causes cancer and is difficult to completely remove from skin and arm hair. Not to mention that it CAUSES CANCER !!! protect yourself....

AVOID GETTING GRIP-TAPE TEXTURE !!! spraying from a distance will cause the dip to dry partially before it hits the surface to be painted. Hold the can only a few inches away from the object. No more than 4" and move in a sweeping motion past the edges...

REMOVE ANY TAPE INSTANTLY AFTER COATING !! Peeling any tape after the dip has dried will also peel dip from your painted surface.

THIN THE PLASTI-DIP WITH LAQUER THINNER BEFORE USING A SPRAY-GUN !! The dip alone is too thick to be used in a mechanical spray gun.

AVOID MOISTURE !! When attemting to spray around 3am, the moisture in the air caused the dip to dry with white watermarks and bad texture... can be fixed by adding another coat on top, but it is a waste of time and dip.

MORE COATS = MORE DURABILITY !! Self explanatory...

USE ARMOR-ALL WIPES TO CLEAN !!
Armor all wipes will polish plasti-dip to a beautiful shine. Yes, this may leave some lint from the wipe clothes, but after it dries a little, the lint wipes right off with your fingers or gloves. I just
A) spray a little 409 to loosen dirt/oil. B) Spray off with hose (Nozzle with a fan spray) C) Towel dry then polish with Armor-All wipes.

LIQUID WRENCH WILL MELT THIS INSTANTLY !!
I have not had this experience, but have read about it on other forums.
1.jpg

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited:
Jay,you have had yours dipped for awhile now,how is it holding up.im hoping to get some this weekend if the rain ever stops.

It's holding extremely well... however, where the seat contacts the painted pieces, it is showing a little bit of rub wear... i guess there is a bit of movement during riding. I am hoping that a clear coat will remedy this. It really is unnoticable though, unless you are trying to find it....

Also, my girl raked her high heel accross the hand rail after the bike had been sitting in the 110 degree sun... it left a little mark on the rail. You can't notice it when it's polished with armorall. but you can when it's dried out. I guess it's better the dip got a mark than my factory paint getting rashed though.... I will redo it at some point; but again, it's hardly noticable...

Bottom line... I LOVE THE DIP !!

I am curious how much it would cost to have the 12 plastics pro painted. Just to compare.... Can anyone add their experience on paint cost?

I am curious how much it would cost to have the 12 plastics pro painted. Just to compare.... Can anyone add their experience on paint cost?

I was quoted $1100-$1500,which is why I am going to dip it this winter for < $100.

I know it's not plastidip, but this is my colour change.

all done.jpg

all done 2.jpg

The original colour of the purple pieces was yellow.

I used all rattle cans.

Primer was ~$8
Paint was custom mixed at NAPA for ~$35
And the can of clear was ~$12

I also used some 400 grit wet/dry I had lying around to scuff up the plastic pieces, which really helped the primer stick.

I'll have to touch one of them up at some point, a bit of shmultz got onto one while it was drying after I did the clear coats.

Thanks!
Those new purple Dodge Challengers get my pistons pumping like no other modern muscle car out there, so this is my way of having a bit of that on my ride. If only I could find a way to stuff a 392 hemi in there somewhere...

Looks great !!! I like the purple Idea.. Very original...
:D

Those PlastiDip colours you posted are incredible

Up here (at least in BC) we get black. I've seen black, and heard rumours of another colour, called black. Wild poker night speculation has it that you can get black, but I don't want to get silly.

Cost is somewhere around $18.00 or so, but not confirmed. Maybe I'll stop by the Home Depot tonight and see if they have any.

Thanks!
Those new purple Dodge Challengers get my pistons pumping like no other modern muscle car out there, so this is my way of having a bit of that on my ride. If only I could find a way to stuff a 392 hemi in there somewhere...

Put on a pipe like Jay has, and you will give a Hemi a run for it's money on muscle car sound, for real! :eek:

Those PlastiDip colours you posted are incredible

Up here (at least in BC) we get black. I've seen black, and heard rumours of another colour, called black. Wild poker night speculation has it that you can get black, but I don't want to get silly.

Cost is somewhere around $18.00 or so, but not confirmed. Maybe I'll stop by the Home Depot tonight and see if they have any.

There is an Ace Hardware in Blaine, WA - just across the line, that should be able to get you almost anything you need. Just call them and tell them what you want and they'll bring it in. Save you some shipping and give you a nice little ride with border guards for fun.

WFC Ace Hardware
1733 H St
Blaine, WA 98230

There is an Ace Hardware in Blaine, WA - just across the line, that should be able to get you almost anything you need. Just call them and tell them what you want and they'll bring it in. Save you some shipping and give you a nice little ride with border guards for fun.

WFC Ace Hardware
1733 H St
Blaine, WA 98230

Thanks! :cool:

Now I just have to figure out how to justify a $160.00 passport, to save more money! (lol, sigh :()

I think that should be next on my "farkle" save up for list, before I get any more stuff...:eek:

I'm seriously thinking about a pipe, but those GPR's are a little outta my price range. I'm thinkin either a dan-moto titanium slip on or their XG-1 duals.

=L.B.S.;49263Up here (at least in BC) we get black. I've seen black, and heard rumours of another colour, called black. Wild poker night speculation has it that you can get black, but I don't want to get silly.

I think the only colour for 2013 models in Canada is red according to there website. They seem make one colour available for any year on most of there models in Canada. I would prefer a choice of colours, but probably would have chose black anyways.

I think the only colour for 2013 models in Canada is red according to there website. They seem make one colour available for any year on most of there models in Canada. I would prefer a choice of colours, but probably would have chose black anyways.

You are totally correct, and I chose the same, making sure I got a 2012 model because it was black versus a 2013 model which only comes in red. Not that I don't like red, I do, I love Honda red :cool: but I just like black more betterer ;)

Now, as to the black/black/black I was talking about in my post you quoted, I was being tongue in cheek sarcastic about only being able to get Plasti-Dip in black anywhere I've seen here in Vancouver, versus all the gazillions of colours the lucky 'States doods and doodettes get. :D

My formerly silver 2012 NC 700 X

DSC_0016-XL.jpg

DSC_0013-XL.jpg

Used 4 cans of Plasti Dip to apply 5-7 coats.
Mike

THanks Mike !! Looks GREAT !!! I was struggling hard between black and red..... Most likely, red is next....lol

Any tips/suggestions/horror stories from your experience?

Back