• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Poor man's chain lube stand

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Still waiting for Honda to send you a centerstand? I am.

I saw a commercial version of a portable stand for propping the rear wheel off the ground for chain maintenance. Suddenly, I realized such a thing would be very easy to make. 15 minutes later, there it was.

The yellow rubber thing is a ladder end bumper.

I just asked the wifey to prop it under the axle nut while I levered the bike up on the sidestand, and away I go spinning the rear wheel and lubing the chain! The thing was so stable I couldn't get the bike back down without asking her to kick it away while I leaned the bike up again.

Attachments

• 100_4674s.jpg
    100_4674s.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 100_4672s.jpg
    100_4672s.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,363
Last edited:
Old thread ,I know ,but, wouldn't putting the bikes weight on the side stand bend it?.

Absolutely not. I use exactly the same method on my NX650, CRF250L and have used it on many other bikes. Never once had an issue. Sidestands are much more robust than You would think.

I see guys do a jump/hop move to clear luggage, just to avoid standing on the peg when the bike is on the kickstand. When they come down bangin' hard to seat themselves it's probably straining the sidestand assembly as much or more than standing on the peg to swing over and then easing lightly down into the seat. Similarly, using a jack under the linkage to ease a bike up (with the 'stand providing a third point) shouldn't be a problem – if things were designed well in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back