• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Poor sales

My dealer said they are selling well here in RI. I really like mine. Seems to be the perfect balance of low end torque and rider comfort. Harleys do seem to rule around here also. It at least seems like 9 out of every 10 bikes you see on the road is a Harley big twin/bagger.

Speaking as someone that has a 1300cc engine sport tourer, I can easily answer that question. Although my NC700 can accelerate briskly, my FJR1300 can pass cars so fast that it blisters the paint on their doors as I go by. :cool: Some of us are simply adrenaline junkies and the NC700 doesn't satisfy that urge.

I hope your not actually riding past people on the road that fast. That is the kind of thing that gives riding a bad reputation. But I understand what your saying, I have a VFR 750 and when I ride it, the surge you can get when you roll on the throttle is a very nice feeling. I occasionally will use that acceleration if I can find a nice stretch of road with nothing but pastures and no roads, no obstructions to block my view of anything that might be entering the road. Problem is there are getting fewer and fewer safe places to enjoy that kind of acceleration without going to the track.
That kind of speed is not safe for riding in the vast majority of places other than the track these days. But the big engine isn't necessary even for that kind of speed. The 600 cc sport bikes will outperform the bigger engines on sport tourers over short stretches of road.....which is why I don't understand the need for the big engine for 1 up riding, unless you plan on riding in triple digits for long periods of time. I doubt you'd be able to do that for very long before you had a run-in with the police.
I've heard in the southwest there are stretches of uninhabited highway that stretch straight as an arrow for many, many miles... that could be a place where you could use a big engine bike, assuming the police didn't monitor it very frequently.

Last edited:
if it isn't a Harley big twin/bagger then its something that wants to look like a Harley big twin/bagger.

Yeah I miss the ability to look up the freeway onramp, pick an open spot between 2 cars a quarter mile ahead and accelerate into it. If that urge gets too great I'll just have to fix up the Da Buell. Till then the NC is alright.

I've heard in the southwest there are stretches of uninhabited highway that stretch straight as an arrow for many, many miles... that could be a place where you could use a big engine bike, assuming the police didn't monitor it very frequently.

Beware the Crown Vics in the Wilcox Playa area. They ain't stock and they ain't slow.

That's what I was thinking when I opened up my FZ1 while on tour. Was cruising along at around 90mph and saw a motorhome a couple of miles ahead. I hadn't seen another soul for a good solid hour. I spend up and passed the motorhome and was doing around 110mph and way off in the distance I see another car or should I say cruiser approaching. He turned around behind the motorhome and came to get me. I waited for him beside the road and we had a good long chat. No fine

The few dealers I checked in northern California had very little choice, I think one had a non X model.
Then I happened to stop by the dealer I bought my Goldwing from in '98, one 2014 NC700X and one CB500X, they actually had cobwebs on the turn signals ... I test rode both, the 500 is just too small.
Traded in my '02 ZR7S and rode out with the NC700X, still have the Goldwing for rides that demand extra comfort.:cool:

I hope your not actually riding past people on the road that fast. That is the kind of thing that gives riding a bad reputation. But I understand what your saying, I have a VFR 750 and when I ride it, the surge you can get when you roll on the throttle is a very nice feeling. I occasionally will use that acceleration if I can find a nice stretch of road with nothing but pastures and no roads, no obstructions to block my view of anything that might be entering the road. Problem is there are getting fewer and fewer safe places to enjoy that kind of acceleration without going to the track.
That kind of speed is not safe for riding in the vast majority of places other than the track these days. But the big engine isn't necessary even for that kind of speed. The 600 cc sport bikes will outperform the bigger engines on sport tourers over short stretches of road.....which is why I don't understand the need for the big engine for 1 up riding, unless you plan on riding in triple digits for long periods of time. I doubt you'd be able to do that for very long before you had a run-in with the police.

You may not understand it but we still have freedom of choice in this country. I begrudge no one the choice of riding whatever they want.

You may not understand it but we still have freedom of choice in this country. I begrudge no one the choice of riding whatever they want.

I don't have a problem with people riding bikes with huge engines even though I don't understand the need for the big engine. It does frustrate me that the MAJORITY wants more engine than what is needed. It drives the market in that direction, and is why there aren't many bikes this size to choose from in the touring and sport touring and adventure categories in the US. But your right, everyone has the right to own whatever they want, and i'd never want to change that.
I do hope for the sake of all motorists, that people will at least ride respectably and not put others, both riders and drivers in danger by riding irresponsibly with all that power.
I don't think the poster I replied to meant they ride that way, but we all have seen many riders that do. Blistering the paint off the door of the car your passing is a bad thing for motorcycling. The temptation to use all that power is too much for some to control.

I do still think we have a bigger is better complex on just about everything in the US. But we also have the freedom to choose what we want. I wish everyone in every country had that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You may not understand it but we still have freedom of choice in this country.

I don't see the relevance of this statement. He never said no one should ever ride a large displacement bike. Just said it wasn't practical for most and it's not. I use to have a 150hp FZ1, it was fun as hell for the first couple of months but with higher insurance rates, poor gas mileage (the car wsr better) and the fact that I only used the HP one percent of the time it wasn't practical.

Why aren't these bike selling?

I bought my 2015 NC700X in May so far I think it's a great bike.
When I was shopping around a dealer had a 2015 for $5000 I almost bought that one, but my my local dealer came real close to that price and ordered a brand new one in the crate.
So I stopped in by the other dealer and he still has that bike sitting there with a brand new 2013 (no price)
Why don't these bike sell? What other kind of cycle can you buy for $5000? A lot of people have said that's a great looking bike and they can't believe how cheap they are.
So what's up with cycles I do see a lot of other leftover's sitting at dealers.

The simple answer is prejudice inho. I am seeing the same type of prejudice elsewhere at the moment in relation to the X-Adv. In the beginning some testers branded the NC slow. Imho they were not competent enough as riders to get the best out of it or they had just gotten off Fireblades. Sure it is no speed demon but ridden well on anything other than motorways or other straight roads it can hold its own. As You say it is a great bike and sadly only ownership proves the point.

I actually think it's for a different reason.

I don't think people who have disposable income are looking at buying a budget motorcycle. They're putting that money down on something more "substantial," as it's their for-fun weekend thing and an under-powered, over-weight, awesome commuter isn't what they're in the market for.

In the U.S., gas is all of $2.50 a gallon or less so most people would rather drive their car or truck into work while they sip on a cup of coffee in the warm cabin / cool cabin. Then on the weekend they hop on their Fireblade or Superduke and rip.

My personal opinion is Honda nailed it with this bike, in building a bike that is absolutely capable and perfect for your average rider who commutes and wants to actually ride their motorcycle. What they missed is that right now, a lot of people aren't doing that. They're riding to Starbucks and back.

Just my $0.02!

I actually think it's for a different reason.

I don't think people who have disposable income are looking at buying a budget motorcycle. They're putting that money down on something more "substantial," as it's their for-fun weekend thing and an under-powered, over-weight, awesome commuter isn't what they're in the market for.

In the U.S., gas is all of $2.50 a gallon or less so most people would rather drive their car or truck into work while they sip on a cup of coffee in the warm cabin / cool cabin. Then on the weekend they hop on their Fireblade or Superduke and rip.

My personal opinion is Honda nailed it with this bike, in building a bike that is absolutely capable and perfect for your average rider who commutes and wants to actually ride their motorcycle. What they missed is that right now, a lot of people aren't doing that. They're riding to Starbucks and back.

Just my $0.02!

I totally agree with this statement. It amazes me how few people ride during the week in a state where we have mild winters. The weather in Arkansas allows for year round riding yet I rarely see any bikes during the week. I work at a Caterpillar facility that employees over 500 people and my bike normally sets alone in the lot. Several employees have bikes but they just don't ride during the week.

The NC is the ultimate commuting bike. It is the reason why after four years I still own this bike but people in my area (Little Rock) do not commute to work on a motorcycle. I'm just the opposite, I hate driving my car.

Motorcycles, like a number of other things, are a Baby Boomer phenomenon in this country, and as the Boomers age out sales are dropping. In the past few weeks there were articles in Bloomberg News about the Motorcycle Industry Dying and HD sales and profits dropping. Motorcycles are just not as practical as cars and Millennials are not that interested in ridding. As practical transportation NC's are probably much more popular in other parts of the world.

Back