• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Poor sales

I think B_Rubenstein is right. MC sales are off all over the US. Example, three Honda stores have closed between Milwaukee and Chicago and I believe one more is about to go. As to the NC700 and the CTX700 (and this just an opinion) I don't like the the legs back or legs forward positioning. I don't think I'm alone.

At the moment, motorcycle sales are down overall. Even the mighty HD are seeing sales drop (down double digit % for this year so far) and there is a 7% decrease in overall motorcycle registrations the first half of this year. Even HD clothing sales are down double digits this year... Baby boomers are dying off and millennials are not buying motorcycles yet.

f and millennials are not buying motorcycles yet.

millenials aren't buying anything and won't buy any time soon. many of them,who lives in the city don't even have driver licence at the age 20+. no need for it. used cars,insurance cost,parking-all expensive. add sky high college debt on 90+% of them.

I merged these two threads of a similar topic.

In the US the average motorcycle does less than 2,500 miles a year, so 'for everyday performance' (Honda USA's tagline for the NC) doesn't do much compared to 'Fulfilling dreams of personal freedom' (H-D's website). In Europe with congested cities and high gas prices 'everyday performance' sells very well.

Yupper, Honda dealership where I bought my NC700x clearly does not want the bike back on trade in. Took it there last week and was offered $1500 less than an offer earlier the same day by a Kawasaki dealership !! The reason for the low ball offer was they have some new NC700x that they can't sell. I have bought a few bikes and done plenty of business with these folks but now feeling like I am being shoved away, not because of personal reason but because of business reasons. I understand their situation being that the bikes just aren't selling like the want them to sell. I really like the NC700x but have to admit that the Kawasaki 1000 Versys looks mighty tempting.

My Honda dealer knows that the African Twin can be stocked heavily because guys that will hardly ever do more than ride a gravel road for more than a few tens romanticize the ADV image and the name. The NC? They don't get requests for it any more and nobody but a couple guys who work there knows that it exists, apparently. No skin off my back { ; hopefully ; }

I needed a bike to upgrade my daughter from a Rebel 250. Couldn't find a nice all around standard bike. After reading several articles from MC magazine journalists that basically trashed the NC700X I about turned my back on it. Then I read one...the only neutral to positive one... and I started thinking about it.
I didn't want a high horsepower high revving bike, I had an 1800 GW that did not shift above 5200 rpm. The small fuel tank didn't matter if it was really getting 65 to 70 mpg. The frunk was novel and not a bad thing. I finally found a positive article called "A taste of Dakar" He was in a off road 3 day stint in Nevada. He extolled the low center of gravity. The fuel range, the low end torque of the motor. While everyone else revved and bashed their way up and over things he low revved up and over and at the end of the day he sat by the fire drinking coffee while they fixed their 1000, 1200 cc machines. So I went looking for one. Dealer had a new 2012 in 2014. I saw a 2012 with stock trunk and tall windshield and a two brothers muffler with 3000 miles on it a 1000 miles away and he would take $4000. I put my daughter on the wing and we went and got it. The trip back was and is a good memory. Came time for the next daughter and guess what she to is riding... last year I found a 2012 NC700XD with 9100 miles for $3800 already lowered with an after market windshield, Rox risers, givi bags with SW Motech 1/4 turn removeable mounting brackets, newer Shinko tires. Bought it. New chain and a new DanMoto slip on exhaust and she loves it. Great bike for the money. Feels like a 250 when riding it.
As for large displacement... 1800 GW is awesome. Love the torque and never having to shift in the mountains, 2001 CBR 1100XX that I just completed a 6800 mile 20 day trip with. Loved the passing ability and ease of cruising at 90 or so in some areas for over 100 miles. Leaving it in 3rd or 4th gear and cranking through wonderful twisting and climbing roads. Also have a Honda ST1300A for many of the same reasons. I am 6'3" and 255 pounds. Plus riding gear and touring accessories and clothes and camping gear. Having Power on tap is nice to be able to tap into it when needed. I try to sell people all the time on the NC700X. I think the MC journalists in the USA did it an injustice and that curbed the enthusiasm for it. Not everyone wants, needs or can handle a high revving sport bike but all the journalists seem to think that that is the only way to judge a bike.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

@1wiseguy2, yes, the U.S. motojournalists in general did an injustice to the NC. There are, as you say, a few good reviews out there. Motorcycle Consumer News, a publication worthy of its higher cost subscription, looked very favorably upon the NC when it was introduced. See it here: https://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012decnc700x.pdf

I've pretty much stopped reading most motorcycle magazines because their motorcycle interests do not line up with mine.

Last edited:
This morning's Chicago Tribune business section article re bikes confirmed just about everything posted above. The columnist used HD in most of his examples; making no specific comments re Honda and other Asian rides The bottom line seems to be that the younger prospects just aren't there. To survive the product must change, but how and into what??

The motorcycle industry as had many ups and downs in the last 100 years. Few remember that HD has almost gone broke multiple times in the past.
The US market is the one that market is not doing well .......especially with new or younger riders. The US market is a very small part of manufactures like Honda but a huge market and revenue generator for manufactures like HD.

We have discussed this several times but the US motorcycle is primarily a sport or hobby..........many other parts of the world use motorcycles as basic transportation and they do not have or spend several $1000 or $10's of thousands on basic transportation.

Many predict the motorcycle industry will get far worse before it gets better again. Used bike prices are one key indicator along with new bike sales which off double digits from last year and small fraction of the '70-'80 and '90s hay days. Few remember that in those hay days Honda offered over 100 models in one sales year.

Last edited:
I think there needs to be a good change, the motorcycle product has been the same for many years. DCT was a good start

now give us more: ABS, traction control, connected bikes, adjustable pegs, seat and handle bars, smart design that add storage, keyless start. all this is avail is some bike. bikes that i am no capable or willing to ride or buy. these option need to be avail on more bikes. without changing the price much!...

I also have a ST1300, yes it is considerable faster and quicker on the acceleration than the NC700X. It’s a blast at times, however it can be too much as times too. I think that you can understand where I am coming from on this subject.

I prefer the feel of the NC and how it responses to my inputs. Plus the DCT makes it more enjoyable for me. Do not get me wrong, I still love my ST1300 and ride it from time to time.

If you want to get somewhere fast, then take the 1300. If you want to get there when you get there, then take the NC700X.

I have heard it said that it is more fun to ride a 'slow bike' fast than ride a 'fast bike' slow.

My feeling is it's time for the manufacturers to ready themselves for the next disruptive shift; weaning themselves off the internal combustion engine. It's difficult to see Millennials buying into 'old technology' when they see what Tesla is doing.

Last edited:
I think there needs to be a good change, the motorcycle product has been the same for many years. DCT was a good start

now give us more: ABS, traction control, connected bikes, adjustable pegs, seat and handle bars, smart design that add storage, keyless start. all this is avail is some bike. bikes that i am no capable or willing to ride or buy. these option need to be avail on more bikes. without changing the price much!...

I get that a lot of new tech would affect weight on a bike where on a car 10lbs won't make a difference. But I really don't understand the almost complete lack of adjustability on all but the most expensive bikes. Seat height, foot pegs, and most important suspension, are all fixed on most bikes. It would be like a car not having a drivers seat that moved forward and backward to accommodate leg length.

Since a given shock costs the same regardless of whether it's spring for 150 lbs or 250 lbs, I can't understand how a dealer can (or why it's safe to) send somebody out the door on a bike not properly set up for the size and weight of the rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a ST1300, yes it is considerable faster and quicker on the acceleration than the NC700X. It’s a blast at times, however it can be too much as times too. I think that you can understand where I am coming from on this subject.

I prefer the feel of the NC and how it responses to my inputs. Plus the DCT makes it more enjoyable for me. Do not get me wrong, I still love my ST1300 and ride it from time to time.

If you want to get somewhere fast, then take the 1300. If you want to get there when you get there, then take the NC700X.

I also had both and that's why I ended up selling both too... I needed a bike that can "do it all". I bought a '16 FJ-09 last year. It is lighter than the NC700X by 20 pounds and quicker than a ST (2.9s vs 3.5s). It feels as light as the NC (with better ergos for me...) but has the power of a sport bike. I'm not a huge fan of extreme power but it helps passing semis on the highway ;)

@1wiseguy2, yes, the U.S. motojournalists in general did an injustice to the NC. There are, as you say, a few good reviews out there. Motorcycle Consumer News, a publication worthy of its higher cost subscription, looked very favorably upon the NC when it was introduced. See it here: https://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012decnc700x.pdf

I've pretty much stopped reading most motorcycle magazines because their motorcycle interests do not line up with mine.
I too have stopped reading MC magazine's except for RoadRunner. I enjoy it from cover to cover. Even the adds are well done. Started getting MCN back when it was a black and white rough pulp papered thin magazine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've noticed that the NC is not much of a seller around this region. Resale is horrid on them. Most dealers don't want them on trade in. Just wondering if it was like that through the rest of the country or just a regional thing.

I've been the sales manager at a Honda dealership in Oklahoma for 10 years. I've had my nc for over 2 years now and love it. However, they are very hard to sell here. We tend to sell them more often to out of state buyers via eBay. The motorcycle industry seems like it's in a generational gap period. I think they will become more popular in the US, but not for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back