• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Poor sales

There is a strong demand for the NC at my dealership, and he has struggled to keep them in stock. Manual has slightly out-sold the DCT. As a matter of fact, my dealer will not negotiate much on the price because of the demand. The CTX has also proven to be a top seller, and the 250 dual sport has been in high demand also. Some areas of the country will have leftover 2012 models, while others like mine can't keep them in stock. Worldwide the bike has been a top seller and has broken some sales records, so it's been incredibly successful therefore in high demand overall.

Coming from an FZ6, I was really spoiled. Below 6500 rpm or so, very tame and decent milage (4.3 L/100km vs 3.3 I'm getting with the NCs, though the mpg scale tells the truth a little better with the two being 55 mpg vs 71 mpg) but with more than twice the horsepower when I was above the 6500 mark. It comes down to what you are looking for. Cruising on the cheap or the American mindset of rushing from place to place. I still think the FZ6 is safer in some situations, such as riding around Charleston, SC where I have been pushed out of my lane several times by SUV's deciding they want to use all three or four lanes. The NCs only gives me the option of breaking hard while the FZ could jump ahead. My usage in Germany is quite different. I'll ride my bike most anywhere within a half an hour's distance and reserve the NC (my only motorized transportation) for anything farther. Coming from SC, the roads are a lot straighter though so although the NC is flickable, it runs out of lean quick (complements of the low cG and pegs). I'm eager to see what Yamaha's FZ-7 (MT-7 here) is like but not willing to fork out the money for a new one to try it. I suppose if one bike could do all things (great milage whe short shifting and great performance when wound out) we wouldn't nearly as big a market for motorcycles.

As a kid (compared to most of the forum it seems), I rode my motorcycle for grins and drove my chevy cruze for economy just like dduelin said. For most of you out there with more experience, wisdom, cultural norms, etc. it very well may be the other way around.

It comes down to what you are looking for. Cruising on the cheap or the American mindset of rushing from place to place.

Careful. Should I now talk about the "German" mindset... as if there were just one for the whole country? I think not. There are more people in California who prefer the weekend cruise (1) more than a screaming hop from place to place... the problem is Harley owns most of that market with the Honda Goldwing being a notable exception.
As you said, it depends on what you're looking for... cruise or speed, and there are both types in both countries I'm happy to say.

(1) I base this opinion on observation. I see giant groups of Harley riders, on cruisers, frequently. I do not see as many riders on speed bikes.

Last edited:
Strange. My dealer here in Mass can't keep the DCT's in stock. He probably doesn't get all that many... but as soon as he does they go out the door.

Bduffey who is your dealer? I bought one of two and mine and I know it had been sitting there awhile. I dont think they have sold the other and havent gotten any in.

It does seem like adventure bikes are on the rise here in Mass though.

I've noticed that the NC is not much of a seller around this region. Resale is horrid on them. Most dealers don't want them on trade in. Just wondering if it was like that through the rest of the country or just a regional thing.

really? I just sold mine in less than 6 hours on the market

There not selling well in my area either. My dealer has only sold three. One of those was mine. They have a red NC that they have had for quite a while. They sell more GWs than anything. For such a big area I would have expected a bigger number of sales.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Here in Nebraska the roads are long, flat, and straight. I suspect that's why cruisers and sport bikes are so popular here. I know the motorcycle parking that I use has another NC, but it's about all I've seen. The NC is a great commuter bike, but it's a compromise on speed, touring, and subjectively 'coolness'. But as was already mentioned, many people buy motorcycles for recreation, more than transportation. Or it's a midlife crisis for those who can't afford the Corvette. Nothing wrong with any of that, but the NC isn't really made to appeal to that market, so it may not sell well to areas like NE or KS.

There not selling well in my area either. My dealer has only sold three. One of those was mine. They have a red NC that they have had for quite a while. They sell more GWs than anything. For such a big area I would have expected a bigger number of sales.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
Similar to my dealer. They are one of the largest in KS and I think they have only sold one. (Mine).
All the other dealers around still have their original ones on the floor and several non honda dealers have trade in ones sitting with only low ball offers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No matter the region..............they are all dressed in the same costume:eek:

I've noticed that! Is there a secret set of instructions that describes what a Harley ride must wear? It looks like white,long sleeve, shirt and a black vest are the bare min.

I've noticed that! Is there a secret set of instructions that describes what a Harley ride must wear? It looks like white,long sleeve, shirt and a black vest are the bare min.

ya forgot LBS they have no BRAINS either that's why they don't wear crash helmets also must be fat.

ar120593348256134.jpg

It's different bikes for different people in different areas lol.
I think in sunnier areas... Harleys and sport bikes are going to be more popular. In places with varying weather like the midwest and other states like that.. the nc700 is great because of it's diversity.

I recently spent about 5 or so months looking for my NC. I was looking during the winter and I can't really speak for new sales. A few dealers had them only one in WY was keen to make a deal and would sell a sliver one for $6,800 out the door. In the west they are hard to find used. There was only one I could find in about 600 miles and it was going for the same price as new. Of course 600 miles in the west doesn't buy you a lot of big cities. I drove to CA to get mine. There were good deals out east, and in the midwest, but I didn't want to drive through ice locked states to get them, nor spend the time.

I get quite a few compliments and double takes, especially in a sea of cruisers and sport bikes. Of course I ride with helmet, pressure suit, and airbag vest, a rarity by itself. They could be looking at that. Most people buy for vanity. I've seen too many Harley riders desperately trying to look cool, and looking around to see if they are the center of attention...

Why do you need a 1300 cc engine for 1 up touring? It's overkill.

Speaking as someone that has a 1300cc engine sport tourer, I can easily answer that question. Although my NC700 can accelerate briskly, my FJR1300 can pass cars so fast that it blisters the paint on their doors as I go by. :cool: Some of us are simply adrenaline junkies and the NC700 doesn't satisfy that urge.

Speaking as someone that has a 1300cc engine sport tourer, I can easily answer that question. Although my NC700 can accelerate briskly, my FJR1300 can pass cars so fast that it blisters the paint on their doors as I go by. :cool: Some of us are simply adrenaline junkies and the NC700 doesn't satisfy that urge.

I also have a ST1300, yes it is considerable faster and quicker on the acceleration than the NC700X. It’s a blast at times, however it can be too much as times too. I think that you can understand where I am coming from on this subject.

I prefer the feel of the NC and how it responses to my inputs. Plus the DCT makes it more enjoyable for me. Do not get me wrong, I still love my ST1300 and ride it from time to time.

If you want to get somewhere fast, then take the 1300. If you want to get there when you get there, then take the NC700X.

Some of us are simply adrenaline junkies and the NC700 doesn't satisfy that urge.

I can guarantee you enough of an adrenaline hit to keep you awake for a month on an NC700, hee hee ;)

- a washboard gravel road, a wall of dust so thick you can't see a dozen yards through it, and the grill of a 100,000 lb. logging truck going 60 mph, materializing directly in front of you...

- going less than 15 mph, but down a boulder strewn embankment with a sheer cliff drop off, going hundreds of feet to a river below...

All things considered, I do believe I've had more terrific thrills going slow, than I really ever had going fast, lol :eek:

Back