• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Popping Out Of Gear

RF52

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 2018 NC750X bran new last month. It's still in the break-in period, so this may be normal, but during acceleration at around 4500rpms it has jumped out of gear 4 or 5 times over the course of 3 separate rides; usually 5th gear I think. Took it for another couple of short rides since then, and it hasn't happened again. Not sure if the gears are still acclimating or if this is something to get it in to the shop for warrant work. Anybody hear of this kind of thing happening?

I’d suspect it’s far more likely that your gearshift lever needs to be adjusted to better match your boot position than there being any internal problem with the Honda transmission. The only times mine has ever popped out of gear, it was operator error. That’s true of all the Hondas I’ve owned. First job on a new bike is to adjust all the controls to match me and my riding gear.

I'll second the need to adjust the shifter. If I'm not careful about foot position when I hit a bump, I find that the gears will be shifted unintentionally.

A little follow up here. After doing some on-line research, somebody at another NC forum had this remark with reference to somebody that has the same issue I have on a bran new bike: " Make sure you have some slack in your clutch lever also the right amount of slack in the drive chain rough guide about half to three quarters of an inch when you sit on it and check engine oil may have too much in it ". Bolding is mine.

Well, I knew that having too much oil in the crank case will very often cause hard shifting (or no shifting) in a manual transmission. I didn't know that too much oil in the crank could cause gears to drop out when stressed from acceleration. Apparently, somebody seems to have discovered that. Well, my NC, from the factory had too much oil according to the dip stick. Hmm. When changing oil on the other two motorcycles, if I put in exactly what was recommended from the factory regardless of where it fell in the site glass (no dip stick on those other two bikes), it overfilled the crank case, and consequently, shifting was very difficult. Now, I'm getting the impression that Honda probably put in exactly what the owner's manual specified in terms of oil volume, which caused the crankcase to be overly full. I lowered it recently, being sort of anal about those things, and haven't had any issues, but assumed the problem was still present, just taking a break; intermittent. Time will tell.

I’d have a hard time believing that a factory that can build a motocycle can’t install the proper amount oil. If it was in fact overfilled at the time of purchase, I’d be more inclined to blame it on the selling dealer.

They're shipped dry and then filled once they hit this continent, aren't they?

Well, I knew that having too much oil in the crank case will very often cause hard shifting (or no shifting) in a manual transmission. I didn't know that too much oil in the crank could cause gears to drop out when stressed from acceleration.

The two are directly related. 'Hard shifting' often translates into the operator not getting the next gear fully engaged, which then results in the tranny popping out of gear as load is applied. It's still operator error for not fully engaging the next gear, but may be exaggerated by something else.

I, too, have had my NCX pop out of gear on rare occasion. It's _always_ been because I didn't shift it right (didn't get it completely engaged in the next gear). Always.

Be advised that when the transmission pops out of gear under load, the gear teeth experience a certain uneven wear pattern. A few times is okay, but if this is a consistent and ongoing problem over time, you'll eventually wear that gear set such that it will then always want to pop out of gear, even if you start shifting it fully and correctly. No need to freak out about it at this point, but do take the others' advice here and adjust the shifter or whatever you need to do in order to make sure you fully engage each gear.

Last edited:
Honda ships new bikes “wet“ with all fluid except gasoline. Engine oil, brake fluid, coolant, rear diff oil if applicable . etc
All Hondas are completely assembled, started, test driven on a course or on belt, fuel is removed or Alternative fuel source removed, the bike is “knocked down” for shipping. Knock down is usually handle bars, windscreen, mirrors,

Dealer setup and PDI ( pre- delivery inspection) is assembling from “knocked down” crate and engine oil, brake fluid is verified and maybe added as required ( rare to add).

Setup and PDI instructions are very specific for each bike. The 2012 NC 700 US version setup and PDI a was 21 pages long. Cable and wire routing ( correct) is very specific.

Reactions: MZ5
I've "short shifted" before and had it pop in-between gears as a false neutral. That was when I knew I didn't get a good toe into the shifter to flip it up.

Reactions: MZ5
Back