• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Potential seat buy-BMS/Bill Mayer Saddles

Craigmri

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just got off the phone with Rocky from BMS about doing a group seat buy. For those unfamiliar, BMS has done about 50 NC700X seats and recently done one for Guy Webster, reputable photographer and Ducati collector.

MotoMan's Custom Honda NC700x Saddle - BMS - Best Motorcycle Seats by Bill Mayer Saddles

While speaking with Rocky he convinced me he is very familiar with the problems inherent to the NC700X seat such as the severe slope forward as well as bad foam density and shape. He claims he has the design to resolve these issues and make a great seat for our bikes. He does retain the stock seat pan and replaces the foam and cover. For the rear seat he can either simply recover to match or also re-cushion it as well.

Motorcycle consumer news(a consumer based publication) did a review of Bill Mayer Saddles:

Motorcycle Consumer News July 2011 - BMS - Best Motorcycle Seats by Bill Mayer Saddles

He asked if we could get a rough estimate of quantity we can get then he will generate a price. He mentioned if we can get 10 he will offer a great price but if we can get more he will do even better. Rocky mentioned the Yamaha Super Tenre' guys just did a group buy of 103 seats and he offered them a superb deal.

If your interested please state it here so we can all keep a running tally.

Would this be a time sensitive deal? I can't part with my seat until the bike goes away for the winter. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I could be in for and overhaul on both seats.

Would this be a time sensitive deal? I can't part with my seat until the bike goes away for the winter. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I could be in for and overhaul on both seats.

This is very preliminary so I have no idea when or if this will happen. I'm just hopeful we can get at least 10 people to go in to get cost down.

Gene, Thanks for chiming in. Did you have BMS do your seat? if so how do you like it?

Yes, BMS did my seat last fall. I've had a couple of write ups about it. Let me start by saying that since I broke my pelvis and tailbone in a dirt bike crash over 30 years ago, I haven't been able to ride on any stock MC seat. I have had 2 Rick Mayer, 1 BMS, and 3 Russell Day Long seats. They have all been very good but the RDL is the best. With that said they are ugly, at least most people think so. For any normal person the BMS would be "GREAT" but for me it's acceptable. For many years I would average 15-20K miles. I just bought a used stock seat which I will be sending to RDL as soon as I receive it. When it comes back I will be selling my BMS outright, no exchange needed and no month long wait. Mine is a Dual, meaning the pillion has been modified also. If anyone is interested you may send me a PM.

Im still trying to make the stock work.i.can't be raised any higher and most of these seats seem to do this according to reviews.

Hey guys,

He asked if we could get a rough estimate of quantity we can get then he will generate a price. He mentioned if we can get 10 he will offer a great price but if we can get more he will do even better.

When it gets to be $100 to $150... that's a buy.

Interested. But it depends on the price. (Sorry, StratTuner, don't think that price will be in the buck fifty neighborhood even if there were 100 or 1000 interested.)

I put my oar in the water for Sargent as well (on their web-site; also dependent on price) as a way to get them interested in doing a seat for the NCX (rather than just a bunch-o-one-offs for those able to ride in). However, they seem to have more business than they can handle and are not in any rush to put an offering out there (at least that's the impression I get from reading the posts on this forum).

Hard to tell which to buy (or just stick with stock) as each seems to have its proponents and there is a considerable variation in price. Kinda like the windscreen or oil or chain maintenance discussions.

BMS offer

So I got with Rocky and this is his offer based on a group buy of 10 seats.

Full Custom rebuild of the front seat to your specification. You also get to select the Vinyl texture and color. Recover of passenger seat to match that of the front seat. Both the stock Front and rear seats must be shipped to BMS as they reuse the stock seat pans.

The one-off price for this is $474 and he is offering us 20% off therefore the price is $379.20 plus shipping.

While this isnt inexpensive, it is custom to you. For most of us remote, Rocky will want to know your height, weight, riding style etc. and configure the seat for you. For those Socal locals you can go right to Rocky and dial things to your liking on-site. When you factor that this is cheaper than Corbin($347Fr + $283Rr) yet is custom I think its a good deal for a high quality custom product.

For those that want a re-designed rear seat Rocky will offer you that service for an addition fee.

So, now before we can proceed we need nine commitments as I'm the first. Who's in?

Craig,
I'm curious as to why you are going with the BMS instead of the Sargent seat service. Even with the group buy discount I think the Sargent is less expensive and in your case I imagine the shipping from Orlando to Jacksonville would be faster and less expensive than Orlando to California. I was in a different situation when I had mine done. It was winter and Sargent offered me ride in service and I'd had good experiences with previous seats from Sargent, so I went that route. I don't have any first hand experience with BMS, so I can't comment on their work, but I was just wondering why you preferred the BMS.

Bob

Back