• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Power for GPS.

jangermann

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi.

I am going to supply my tomtom rider 2013 gps with 12V from my NC700X.
I only want power to the GPS when the ignition i on.

I was thinking about get the power from the smalle bulb in the head lamp but it is not a easy location for soldering.

Where is the best/easy location for connect the power to the GPS?

Is here anybody that has experince about this issue?

Thanks.
Jan

The best and easiest way is not the cheapest - the Honda accessory harness and the Honda relay provide a switched power source. The harness has four outlets - to allow a variety of powered accessories - I've got a 12 V socket, heated grips and my sat nav wired through it. No cutting wires and no soldering mean a simple and long lasting fix. The relay is about CHF 20 and the harness about CHF 40 - I'd expect them to be a bit cheaper in $ since Switzerland isn't exactly famous for competitive pricing.

Chris

No need for expensive harness just to power up some GPS (but never use this to power anything with bigger power consumption as like lights, heated grips or whatever).
There is switched 12V power near the battery. Just use one of the white and blue wires and tap carefully.
It is very easy to connect a wire leading to handle bar. For some devices you might still need a converter circuit (e.g. garmin cable 12V->5V or whatever) to connect device. Or maybe you might want to use some flattening circuit to protect the device, no idea.
This is what I have been using all the time.

Just wired up my Zumo few days ago. I have an Optimate lead that runs from battery into storage area to which I connect battery charger or 12v outlet lead. I added a Kyosho rc plug to the Zumo wiring and just connect or disconnect as I need. Cost nothing :)

Thanks for your answers!

Found this red plug.
I can see the the black/white wire is powered with 12V when ignition is on, so i think I will use it :)

plug.jpg

No reason at all as I used a similar set up with my Optimate bits and the same Griffin Powerjolt when I had an iphone.

I have the SAE adapter wired directly to the battery.
I have a USB adapter that connects directly to the SAE.
I left the TomTom plugged in to to the USB,SAE, battery connection, and it DRAINED my battery to 0.

I would love to connect the SAE adapter to something that was only ON when the bike is ON.

I see that you folks seem to know how, but I don't understand how you've done it.

on the SAE, the HOT wire is on the red battery terminal.
the GROUND is on the black battery terminal.
Where should they be?

Anyone care to offer a tutorial?

Hi here is my latest electric issue, I have just purchased a USB charger (polo moto) and not sure how to wire it in.
Basically I want to use my Nokia phone Lumia 925 for Sat nav and keep it charged up.
So far I have mounted the twin USB sockets on the handlebars, pushed the wores through to the battery compartment and now I don't really have a clue where to 'tap'/wire in the cables, have removed the battery compartment but not sure what to cut, (don't know how to solder!) etc.

Have attached a picture to show my problem.
Do I need an additional fuse?
I obviously don't want the battery to run down overnight so perhaps, wire the charger to only work when the engine is running would be fine.
USB charger.jpg

Please help.
Thanks
Mike

Hi here is my latest electric issue, I have just purchased a USB charger (polo moto) and not sure how to wire it in.
Basically I want to use my Nokia phone Lumia 925 for Sat nav and keep it charged up.
So far I have mounted the twin USB sockets on the handlebars, pushed the wores through to the battery compartment and now I don't really have a clue where to 'tap'/wire in the cables, have removed the battery compartment but not sure what to cut, (don't know how to solder!) etc.

Have attached a picture to show my problem.
Do I need an additional fuse?
I obviously don't want the battery to run down overnight so perhaps, wire the charger to only work when the engine is running would be fine.
View attachment 7864

Please help.
Thanks
Mike

You can certainly wire it direct to the battery... I have mine wired that way "currently" (no pun intended.. ok maybe it was) but be aware that if you have your USB wired direct to the battery it will always be drawing a little bit of current. That shouldn't be a problem as long as you ride the bike often... but during the colder months if you don't ride, it very likely will drain your battery if you don't keep the bike on a slow charge.

I plan to wire mine so that it is switched (only powers when key is turned on). If you do it this way you can use posi-splice connectors. I am not sure which wire you want to tap into for this... someone else probably knows right off the top of their head.

smileyhumm.jpg

Wired up a 12v plug so I can charge all my electronic gadgets. Set it up for constant power so I can charge small stuff like my Sena or cell phone with the key off.
e3a2uzyh.jpg

a4eduqe9.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

i run a 550 and 660 garmin on my bikes and always wire them to the battery direct, i want to program them without the key on or running. dale

No need for expensive harness just to power up some GPS (but never use this to power anything with bigger power consumption as like lights, heated grips or whatever).
There is switched 12V power near the battery. Just use one of the white and blue wires and tap carefully.
It is very easy to connect a wire leading to handle bar. For some devices you might still need a converter circuit (e.g. garmin cable 12V->5V or whatever) to connect device. Or maybe you might want to use some flattening circuit to protect the device, no idea.
This is what I have been using all the time.

Well... Having very little experience, I have no idea what Phil is talking about. I'd love to connect my GPS to something that goes off when the igition goes off. How is that done?

Right now, I have and SAE connection that is connected DIRECTLY to the battery pos(+) and neg(-). Do I leave the Neg(-)(ground) conneted to the battery and connect red to something else? What would that be?

Well... Having very little experience, I have no idea what Phil is talking about. I'd love to connect my GPS to something that goes off when the igition goes off. How is that done?

Right now, I have and SAE connection that is connected DIRECTLY to the battery pos(+) and neg(-). Do I leave the Neg(-)(ground) conneted to the battery and connect red to something else? What would that be?
Ok, let me see. I am in trouble realizing what the problem is about my text :)
I will try to go into easy details. Hope this helps. What I was describing is a way to connect a small GPS device or similar electronic device to switched vehicle power. The method described in my post is not sufficient to connect any other device!. The connector I was referring to was installed by professional workshop at my NC, so I guess this should be a feasible solution. At least for me it used to work flawlessly up to now.

1. Find out about the voltage required for your GPS. Find out about the power supply connector of your GPS. Get yourself a power supply cable that will take 12V input voltage and will plug into your GPS supplying the voltage needed for your device. Example: in case it is a Garmin with USB connector, you will need to feed in 5V DC. This means you need to get yourself a power cable including a little circuit, converting 12V input to stabilized 5V output, that has got an USB connector at the output side and two open wires (+ and -, or + and ground) at input side. This kind of cable is available through several sources, e.g. garmin itself.

2. connecting input wires
* have a look at spec sheet of your cable. Wire up ground wire (black colour maybe, eletrical -) to battery ground pole by use of an eyelet connector.
* find one of those wires I referred to in my initial post. There are several white and blue wires (see my linked picture!) near the + pole of battery. You would need to tap one of them with a certain branch connector (see linked image) or similar. Do not cut any wire! Just create an electrical branch. Some posts in this thread referred to black and white wires. I can not tell for your cable loom. You could easily check with a voltmeter when switching on and off ignition.
Connect this electrical branch to + input wire of your power cable.
3. Route power cable to handlebar. Right side of battery there is a hole direction forward where you can easily route your cable. Fix cable safely in a way it would not interfere when turning handlebar.
4. fix GPS and connect power. Be very careful when fixing the power cable in a way it does not take up engine vibration against gps device. This is very important to avoid long term damage of GPS connector. Example: I would route cable along RAM mount arm and create a gentle loop (minimum cable tension) where it connects to GPS.

If unsure do not connect GPS at first attempt, but us some cheap USB device (if USB connector), just in case it would blow up :)

Never ever connect any device bigger than your GPS. This is not at all a solution to connect heated grips, lights or whatever. You would most likely create considerable damage this way.

Always work careful when working at wire loom. Eletrical problems are not easy to fix. Never cut or damage wires of the stock cable harness. Go with minimal intrusion.

However, no warranty :)
Good luck.

Back