• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Powerlet outlet location: where?

Junkie

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need to install a powerlet outlet for my electric gear. Any suggestions on where? I'd prefer low profile, meaning drilling a hole for it, vs on the bars.

Also: is the accessory harness the best option for powering it? So far I have grips and my phone charger running off it, that's it.

The previous owner of one of my bikes installed a Powerlet just below the left side passenger grab rail in the painted plastic rear cowling. It is a difficult place to do the install, due to the hassle of removing that rear cowl, and the limited space behind it. In the end, it is barely visible, and even though I don’t use heated clothing, I’d guess the outlet is in a convenient spot. I mostly use it when charging the battery.

This is one is fused and wired to the battery.

AEBFC794-F311-4B38-82ED-CA02A80F2A68.jpg

I used the pigtail that came with the gear and ran it right from the battery to the left side of the bike poking it through the plastic side panel. Easy to do without any drilling. Easy reach to the plug either seated or standing next to the bike. And easy reach for the cords of whatever heated gear I’m wearing: vest, liner, gloves or pants. (I’ve used them all at one time or another and particularly love the liner and glove combo.) I then clip the controller to either the rail on the frunk lid or to the tank bag if I’m using it.
8E3607DA-69D6-4631-B7BA-A00AFE0706F3.jpg

Hmm, I suppose I could just run one of those vs a powerlet.

I have a dual band controller and would be running (sometimes) top + bottom - I have a vest and a jacket, and pants. Hands I'd stick to heated grips.

The dual controller is a must. Glad I went that direction.

For a “power outlet” I ran a pigtail up next to the bars where it alternates between being plugged into a battery tender or my USB outlet. I only plug the USB outlet into it when I’m using it since I’ve read various reports of a parasitic draw off of them if left wired up. The USB outlet is smaller than a normal power outlet and is very unobtrusive right next to the riser.

That pigtail will also run my slime air pump out on the road. That about covers my “electrical engineering”. No drilling. Nothing down in the frunk. Suits my needs.:cool:

I have a battery tender connector already that I'm not using for much, but would use for a pump (speaking of which, I need to pick one up.. is Slime the way to go?).

I have 2 of the little Slime pumps in the zip up case. They work fine.

Back