• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Problems with Sargent seat fitting an NC700X?

steve626

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had 2 different Sargent seats shipped from Revzilla and they both don't fit my 2015 NC700X. The one side mount for the screw will not line up. It looks like the Aluminum mount isn't as far over as it should be. My questions are: Is this normal? Should I try a third time? Should I try a different seat? Or should I make this one work by hacking away at the mount with my dremel or a file?

Thanks!

I don’t have much to offer, but it seems that if the stock seat fits easily but the Sargent does not, then the Sargent seat build is faulty. I wouldn’t tolerate it.
The last time I tried a Sargent was over 5 years ago when they first came out. Mine didn’t fit because it was too wide near the passenger grab handles, but it was their first iteration for an NC seat, so they probably fixed that issue.

The Sargent seat seems to be popular on this forum, so we’ll await comments from current owners.

My bike has one installed from the PO. I've always thought that the holes in the Al tabs were too large. They may have required modification to get them to fit. Modification may work if you like the seat. It doesn't take much pressure to keep it secured

Have you contacted Sargent about it?

That's strange, I too wonder if the seat is actually for a 750X. I ordered a Shad seat from Revzilla and they sent me one for the NC700S or N or whatever it's called, nowhere close to fitting my 2013 NC700X. I ended up finding a deal in a Seat Concepts and had a local vinyl shop install it on my seat pan for $20. Best money I spent on that bike. I am completely satisfied with the seat. Rode nearly 500 miles in 2 days up in the mountains around Deals Gap a month or so ago, could have turned around when I got home and done it all again. Rear was still feeling great.

You alo could have one for the 2nd gen 700 or the 750.
Mine fit pretty well on my 2016, though not as good as stock and the front doen't line up flush. That's actually good, because it means the seat doesn't slope forward like the stock one.
I had a Corbin seat on a previous bike that I had to pry into position to get the bolts in. I don't recall having to do that with my Sargent.

When I was installing my Sargent, I remember thinking it would never possibly fit. What was happening was that the rear grab rail had moved up just a little because of the Givi rear cargo rack that I had installed. I had to uninstall the grab rail, install the seat, and then position the grab rail again. The good news is, once installed this seat will serve you well for years. And your rear will thank you for the hard work!
I have attached a picture of the seat installed on my NC700x, hope it helps.
Sargent.jpg

Do you find your new seat to be a bit more slippery?

I can't tell you how many things I've laid down on my Sargent seat while my bike is slanted on the kickstand- keys, gloves, etc., only to have them slip right off. Which rarely happened with the stock seat.
I didn't pay extra for any custom upholstery, just the front seat only.

I can't tell you how many things I've laid down on my Sargent seat while my bike is slanted on the kickstand- keys, gloves, etc., only to have them slip right off. Which rarely happened with the stock seat
Not sure how the stock seat behaved. I have made it a habit to open the frunk first. I always have stuff to store/remove from the frunk. So, everything goes in the frunk, and I dont think I have ever kept anything on the seat. I also use the kickstand most of the time.

I can't tell you how many things I've laid down on my Sargent seat while my bike is slanted on the kickstand- keys, gloves, etc., only to have them slip right off. Which rarely happened with the stock seat.
I didn't pay extra for any custom upholstery, just the front seat only.

The Sargent seat I tried temporarily when they first built one for the NC700X was most slippery seat I ever tried on the NC. Each time I used the brakes I had to squeeze the bike with my thighs to brace myself, or else end up sitting on the frunk lid. Since that learning experience, I have always chosen the grippier seat covers when buying aftermarket seats.

I know this thread is a little old, but I though I'd share my recent experience with the Sargent seats. I had one on my 700X, and it was just fine. This past week I ordered one for my 2018 750X, and IT DOES NOT FIT! I spoke to Dale at Sargent, and he indicated that Sargent sells the 700X seat to owners of the 750X, but he has heard some customers have trouble installing it. On the off chance that the seat they sent me had a defective seat pan shape, he sent a second seat, which also does not fit. I had the same issues for both seats at Steve626, who started this thread above.

The sticker on the bottom of both seats says "HON NC700X 2012+". So it appears that Sargent never updated the seat fitment for the 750X, but continues to sell the seat to 750X buyers anyway. I sent Dale an email saying that on the website they should either caution potential buyers that installation of the seat on 750X's is problematic, or not offer it to 750X owners at all. Between multiple attempts to install two seats that didn't fit, the emails and calls back and forth with Dane, and the time it will take me to ship the seats back, I probably invested four hours of utter frustration, only to have to send both seats back. Not a good customer service experience.

Anyway, I've vented. Sargent has always given me great products and great service over the years on my multiple bikes, but this time around they came up short.

I know this thread is a little old, but I though I'd share my recent experience with the Sargent seats. I had one on my 700X, and it was just fine. This past week I ordered one for my 2018 750X, and IT DOES NOT FIT! I spoke to Dale at Sargent, and he indicated that Sargent sells the 700X seat to owners of the 750X, but he has heard some customers have trouble installing it. On the off chance that the seat they sent me had a defective seat pan shape, he sent a second seat, which also does not fit. I had the same issues for both seats at Steve626, who started this thread above.

The sticker on the bottom of both seats says "HON NC700X 2012+". So it appears that Sargent never updated the seat fitment for the 750X, but continues to sell the seat to 750X buyers anyway. I sent Dale an email saying that on the website they should either caution potential buyers that installation of the seat on 750X's is problematic, or not offer it to 750X owners at all. Between multiple attempts to install two seats that didn't fit, the emails and calls back and forth with Dane, and the time it will take me to ship the seats back, I probably invested four hours of utter frustration, only to have to send both seats back. Not a good customer service experience.

Anyway, I've vented. Sargent has always given me great products and great service over the years on my multiple bikes, but this time around they came up short.
In what way did the Sargent seat not fit the 750? If it didn't match up with the bodywork, would you guess there might also be a fitment problem with 2016+ NC700X?

The seat is inserted using the lip at the front, and then you're supposed to be able to use two screws at the back of the seat to secure it. The problem is that the screw holes at the back of the Sargent seat sit about an inch above where the stock seat sits, and you can't get the screws into the screw holes. With significant manhandling I was able to get one of the screws in, but only by contorting the seat, which in turn caused the seat fabric to ripple. The 2016+ 700X looks very much like the 750X, there might also be a fitment issue on those bikes.

The seat is inserted using the lip at the front, and then you're supposed to be able to use two screws at the back of the seat to secure it. The problem is that the screw holes at the back of the Sargent seat sit about an inch above where the stock seat sits, and you can't get the screws into the screw holes. With significant manhandling I was able to get one of the screws in, but only by contorting the seat, which in turn caused the seat fabric to ripple. The 2016+ 700X looks very much like the 750X, there might also be a fitment issue on those bikes.
I have been looking for a seat for my 2018 NC750X, I wanted a Shad but apparently they no longer make one. I looked at Seat Concepts, but the lead time is way out, and I do not want to install myself, or spend the time to send the seat to them, and I like the look of the Sargents better. So the Sargent has the best reviews and I like the look. I am concerned about your issues, but other owners for the most part haven't had any issues. The seats are the same for a 700X or a 750X on other manufacturers website like Corbin. (I had several Corbins over the years, but I am not in love with the look on the 750X) I am wondering if I will be lucky and get one that fits, or if the seats front tab or the bracket it goes into could have been modified? I contacted Sargent and was told the only issues were with the seat not fitting close enough to the tank for some guys.

I have been looking for a seat for my 2018 NC750X, I wanted a Shad but apparently they no longer make one. I looked at Seat Concepts, but the lead time is way out, and I do not want to install myself, or spend the time to send the seat to them, and I like the look of the Sargents better. So the Sargent has the best reviews and I like the look. I am concerned about your issues, but other owners for the most part haven't had any issues. The seats are the same for a 700X or a 750X on other manufacturers website like Corbin. (I had several Corbins over the years, but I am not in love with the look on the 750X) I am wondering if I will be lucky and get one that fits, or if the seats front tab or the bracket it goes into could have been modified? I contacted Sargent and was told the only issues were with the seat not fitting close enough to the tank for some guys.
My issues with the Sargent seat is that it was too wide at the rear, and since I had aftermarket (SW-Motech) luggage hardware which raised the passenger grab rails about 1/8 inch, the seat could not be bolted down. Also, the seat cover was extremely slippery and I would end up sitting on the frunk lid if I braked hard. Be sure to get a grippy seat cover. Lastly, I didn’t find it to be any more comfortable than the stock seat, but everyone’s derrière is different. I tried the Sargent but returned it under their satisfaction guarantee policy. So, if they still have that return policy, you have little to lose.

Back