• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough

Cyclerosis

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This large paperback has a lot of relevant safety tips, anecdotes and technical information with regard to the dynamics of motorcycling. Over the years, I've read it or sections of it several times. Also, Jerry the Motorman, has a couple of good videos out titled " Ride Like A Pro".

Thanks, Cyclops...I will try to buy it off eBay or Amazon....
Sorry I keep seeing Cyclops when I read your ID....hope you are not offended... :p

No sweat Hippy! :rolleyes: I just re-ordered Proficient Motorcycling too for my lady friend who is new to biking. Found an Ebay copy for .99 cents. I had purchased the book several times over the years as gifts for other biker family and friends, but was met with the words, "I've been riding 20 years man! I KNOW how to ride". So...

JDE, thanks for the suggestion of Twist Of The Wrist. I'm in the middle of watching the you tube video of it now. For anyone interested, in my opinion, there are many good technique pointers that will help anyone improve their skill level and on any machine. This is the link to the full version of the video. Twist of the Wrist II - YouTube

JDE, thanks for the suggestion of Twist Of The Wrist. I'm in the middle of watching the you tube video of it now. For anyone interested, in my opinion, there are many good technique pointers that will help anyone improve their skill level and on any machine. This is the link to the full version of the video. Twist of the Wrist II - YouTube

Yeah, I've watched the video several times before buying the NC700X, since I'm coming back after dropping my last bike. It's been quite helpful in identifying mistakes I made leading up to my accident last year.

I am reading PM now, I went out yesterday and tried some of the things discussed and it is a great book for old riders as well, like me.

I have to agree. This is really a great, comprehensive, but easy to understand book. Good topics discussed for real-world riding and preservation.

"Don't forget about Proficient Motorcycling II. David Hough's advanced proficient motorcycling book. I read it and paid it forward as a gift to a friend of mine."

Have read this one many times,Vary,vary good book. Helped me alot!!!

but was met with the words, "I've been riding 20 years man! I KNOW how to ride". So...

Yeah, well, "I haven't been ridiing for 30 years, and I'm re-learning to ride". So there...

thanks for the recommendation. I've been watching a lot of videos (thanks OCR) and going out and trying the tips. It actually helps.

After wrecking mine last month, I went over and over in my head what wrong. Lost concentration in the curve and then looked where I didn't want to go -is what I came up with.

ANYTHING by Hough is worth your time! Sometimes a bit roundabout in getting to his point (perhaps a function of turning magazine essays into a book) the point is always well worth waiting for. Of all the motorcycling books I've read, Hough is at the top of the list.

Back