• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Programming new key - HISS

Harvey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I've only got one key for my 2012 NC700SA, so decided it was time to get a second one. The blank cost me a bit over $50 and getting it cut cost me $30, which I thought was a bit steep, but I can't cut it at home so coughed up for that.

Called Honda to see about getting the key programmed to the bike and was quoted $120! Thus making it a $200 key. Such is the cost of living in Australia (still a great place to live and ride.)

I have some memory of seeing a thread about programming a new key but for all my searching I can't find it.

Before I take my bike in next week to give them more of my hard earned, can anyone point me to a guide that someone with little experience can understand?

Thanks again for all your help in the past.

I do not know if this still works, pretty cool if it does. We don't have those keys in the states.

[video=youtube;iGWk5oTD6G4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGWk5oTD6G4[/video]

Canadian and US models do not employ H.I.S.S. Just a cheap key blank and cut. Except for the 2016 model which has a new style key which requires a 'laser' key cutting machine to cut it. My dealer doesn't have such a machine, nor do they have any plans to get one however a professional locksmith in town does have one ... $42 and $25 CAD respectively but still no H.I.S.S.

Similar thread here.

Last edited:
I'm sure that Honda have made use of HISS for a good reason. But if it's not used in USA or Canada, then I'm not sure what that reason might be.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now i need to go hunting in the bike to find the bits referred to in the video.

The reason we in the US don't get it .....COST. Not only the cost on the bike but the support costs to the dealer and distribution system.

The video mentioned is the red key master version which the the 1 generation imobilizer. The NC has a different system based on the HONDA scan tool to learn the new keys.

I wish I didn't have this.

Hey whaddayaknow? -- sometimes wishes DO come true ; }

The reason we in the US don't get it .....COST. Not only the cost on the bike but the support costs to the dealer and distribution system.

The video mentioned is the red key master version which the the 1 generation imobilizer. The NC has a different system based on the HONDA scan tool to learn the new keys.

Thanks Showkey. I wondered if the seven year difference in bike models would have been an issue.

Harvey......it is a little later for you because you already have the key and it's cut and you need to have it learned to the bike. It the US market where immobilizer keys are common on cars.........many locations can cut a new key and copy or clone the current key ID to the new key. This makes two keys with the exact same identity. This takes specialized equipment special cloning blanks and may not be available for the Honda bikes. This cloning usually costs a fraction of the OEM key, cut, learn process.

Again this might not be available for the bikes, but it might be worth asking around in the HISS markets.
Example of the cloning systems:

https://youtu.be/OkDqiZaZvBY

The American Key Supply Guide to Cloning : American Key Supply, The Locksmith's Source for Keys & Tools

This one is based in Europe and mentions motorcycles:

Car keys cloning: car, motorbike and truck keys Keyline cloning devices

Last edited:
Unique situation for me in Kingman, AZ: I have 2 keys for my 2016 NC700. Bought a blank from Revzilla. 2 key shops in town have the laser cutter but my blank wont fit in their machines.

Had an experience last year which included my keys being stolen so I like the idea of the third key. Cost me $300 to get one made for my Freightliner Sprinter van, $3 for my 2015 NC700.

Unique situation for me in Kingman, AZ: I have 2 keys for my 2016 NC700. Bought a blank from Revzilla. 2 key shops in town have the laser cutter but my blank wont fit in their machines.

Had an experience last year which included my keys being stolen so I like the idea of the third key. Cost me $300 to get one made for my Freightliner Sprinter van, $3 for my 2015 NC700.
Try different lock shops or the dealer. Might be machine issue or a skills issue of the technian.
Even hardware stores have the ability to cut sidewinder keys.

Note they are not cut on laser, its more of milling machine. Laser thing is often used to describe the key type.

I was able to get a spare "laser key" for my 2018 NC750X from https://keys4urride.com/ for $20-$25. I ordered over internet & supplied the key code that came with the bike (new from dealer) - took just a few days.

I was able to get a spare "laser key" for my 2018 NC750X from https://keys4urride.com/ for $20-$25. I ordered over internet & supplied the key code that came with the bike (new from dealer) - took just a few days.
I didn't get the key code as I bought my 2016 used. Its stamped on the ignition switch barrel but disassembly to get to it is odious. Local Honda shop can get it done but requires sending my spare key along with the blank to get it done. I'll wait until I can find a bigger key shop.

Back