• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question question about linked brakes

That was the article I referenced that claims that the 2016 NC700XD is equipped with linked brakes. So that is not true then?
We don’t know. The last thing I would believe is an article from independent moto journalists. I need to find an actual Honda press release for your model year, or read the service manual. Even Honda makes mistakes in their literature, but even more so, I think the marketing department can carefully choose words to put ideas into people’s heads without actually saying something. For example, marketing may have used the word adaptive or learning in terms of DCT clutch engagement calibration or characterization, and before you know it, people are thinking and saying that the DCT almost has artificial intelligence and learns just how a particular rider wants to ride the motorcycle.

Here is a crazy idea. Honda’s C-ABS, or combined ABS, actually means that the ABS cannot be independently applied to the front or rear brakes. When wheel slip or lockup is sensed on either wheel, both brakes are pulsed by the ABS system. That is actually a bad thing, but maybe the marketing department uses wording to suggest it is a good thing. I thought I saw that the 2021 uses 2 channel ABS, which I think means the antilock function can be applied independently to either brake, based on which wheel is slipping. Again, it‘s a crazy idea and not confirmed.

Honda continues to play word games about combination braking. I would like to understand what they are saying or suggesting. So far, with the exception of 2012 and 2013 model years with 3 pot front calipers, I don’t know what it means.

Last edited:
Ahhh, learn something new everyday! Thanks for that info!
No problem. Hope I don't come off as condescending and/or preachy-know-it-all. Text-based information sharing can infer a tone that's not meant to be there.
Kind of an occupational hazard. As an engineer for a major aerospace contractor, this kind of stuff (reading, interpreting, and relaying technical data) is my daily.

That was the article I referenced that claims that the 2016 NC700XD is equipped with linked brakes. So that is not true then?
I've found Honda (and other manufacturers) like to copy/paste their previous information and adjust it for the current M/Y. Between missing things that are no longer applicable, and having different models for different markets (for example, in Canada in 2012 I could get an S model with ABS without DCT, which was not available in the US) it's easy for some inaccurate information to be posted. And that's only talking about Honda's releases themselves, it's also possible the media outlets misinterpreted things too.
As far as I know, the only version of C-ABS on the NC series has 3 pistons up front, middle (smaller) piston operated by the rear pedal. Not sure which M/Ys in which markets had C-ABS available. It's possible, for example, the Euro models in 2016 had C-ABS while the US models didn't, though I'm not sure.

Semi-related note, I like the implementation of C-ABS on my 2012. Never had an issue with a touch of front brake any time I used the rear.

We don’t know. The last thing I would believe is an article from independent moto journalists. I need to find an actual Honda press release for your model year, or read the service manual. Even Honda makes mistakes in their literature, but even more so, I think the marketing department can carefully choose words to put ideas into people’s heads without actually saying something. For example, marketing may have used the word adaptive or learning in terms of DCT clutch engagement calibration or characterization, and before you know it, people are thinking and saying that the DCT almost has artificial intelligence and learns just how a particular rider wants to ride the motorcycle.

Here is a crazy idea. Honda’s C-ABS, or combined ABS, actually means that the ABS cannot be independently applied to the front or rear brakes. When wheel slip or lockup is sensed on either wheel, both brakes are pulsed by the ABS system. That is actually a bad thing, but maybe the marketing department uses wording to suggest it is a good thing. I thought I saw that the 2021 uses 2 channel ABS, which I think means the antilock function can be applied independently to either brake, based on which wheel is slipping. Again, it‘s a crazy idea and not confirmed.

Honda continues to play word games about combination braking. I would like to understand what they are saying or suggesting. So far, with the exception of 2012 and 2013 model years with 3 pot front calipers, I don’t know what it means.
I'm mighty jealous - have a 2012 Integra which has no drivers manual and using this forum have now learned why I have 3 pots up front! Thank you so much guys! Next, where on earth or space can i find said missing bike bible please?

I'm mighty jealous - have a 2012 Integra which has no drivers manual and using this forum have now learned why I have 3 pots up front! Thank you so much guys! Next, where on earth or space can i find said missing bike bible please?
In North America, we can download owner’s manuals for North American models from a powersports.honda.com web site. For you in the UK, I could not find a similar site, but you might try contacting your Honda customer support for direction. See this link: https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/contact-us.html

That is true, but the user must be aware that model features and specifications can vary amongst different country or region markets. For example, the manual linked mentions a country code for Thailand.
You are right. But it is up to the owner to compare this manual with the version of NC Integra that he has. There may not be much of a difference.

Capture.JPG

T
That is true, but the user must be aware that model features and specifications can vary amongst different country or region markets. For example, the manual linked mentions a country code for Thailand.
Thank you both - realised i have already downloaded so what I need then is the workshop manual, or pay £60+/hour to allow someone else to do the job proper like!

Back