• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Question for MadStad owners ...

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at buying a Madstad to replace my CalSci on my 2015 DCT. My CalSci is a "medium," which CalSci specs as 23.5 inches "overall height - OH" and 19 inches "relative height - RH."

Madstad sizes from 16" to 24" in 2 inch increments. What I want to know is if Madstad measures from bottom to top (equal to CalSci "overall height" or from top of mounting holes to top of screen (equal to CalSci "relative height"). Anyone know the answer? I'm inclined to go a couple inches taller than my CalSci to ease the buffeting on the top of my helmet (sort of the same as adding a an extender to the CalSci), but need to be sure I don't go too tall so I'm looking through the windshield (a bad result). So if Madstad is absolute height (from top to bottom) I'd probably go with the 24" (largest) to get the extra 0.5". But if Madstad measures from the mounting holes, I'd go with a 22"and pick up 3".

Here's how CalSci describes their measurements:
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 11.52.07 AM.png

I can only give you my exerience with Madstad. Phone them.
They will ask for your height, torso description, etc. Order the size they recommend. Don’t second guess. They know what they’re talking about.
Don’t overthink their sizing recommendations.

My experience with the Madstad shield is that it works best if it is tall enough to be near the low end of the adjustment range when set to the proper height.

Call Madstad at 352-608-4069. Press the Tech Support option and ask for Blair. He has been very helpful in the past to me.

FWIW and to answer the question posed the height listed is the overall height of the shield. This may or may not have anything to do with other types of shields and height relative of them to your body. The Madstad works well when the top of the shield is 2 to 3" below eye level, approximately that of your top lip, when sitting on the bike AND the gap at the bottom is still adequate to keep air flow laminar up the back side of the shield. For average body types this should coincide with the height recommendations for the 2012-2015 NC700X given on the web site.

Last edited:
So I bought a 22" light gray Madstad and installed it last weekend. It is wonderful and has eliminated the buffeting I had at the top of my helmet with my CalSci medium. I see over the screen, and with it adjusted just a bit more "vertical" it creates a very nice calm bubble. My Schuberth C3 Pro is very quiet already, and in this bubble is perfect. Very easy install (I did not install the winglets because I have Barkbusters and they would have hit) and very high quality parts and instructions. It surely is not the cheapest solution (but it's also not the most expensive), but as always "buy once, cry once."

With this screen and my heated jacket liner and gloves, I'm good to ride as long as there's no ice or snow on the road.

Looking at buying a Madstad to replace my CalSci on my 2015 DCT. My CalSci is a "medium," which CalSci specs as 23.5 inches "overall height - OH" and 19 inches "relative height - RH."

Madstad sizes from 16" to 24" in 2 inch increments. What I want to know is if Madstad measures from bottom to top (equal to CalSci "overall height" or from top of mounting holes to top of screen (equal to CalSci "relative height"). Anyone know the answer? I'm inclined to go a couple inches taller than my CalSci to ease the buffeting on the top of my helmet (sort of the same as adding a an extender to the CalSci), but need to be sure I don't go too tall so I'm looking through the windshield (a bad result). So if Madstad is absolute height (from top to bottom) I'd probably go with the 24" (largest) to get the extra 0.5". But if Madstad measures from the mounting holes, I'd go with a 22"and pick up 3".

Here's how CalSci describes their measurements:
View attachment 47120

I have a light gray Madstad windscreen that is either 22 or 24 inches. I had it on my 2013 Honda NC700 XD. I recently sold the bike, but I have the windscreen if you’re interested. It’s a great windscreen.

How much adjustment is in a Madstat. Didn't see it on the website. 2-3"??
My original version NC Madstad has a vertical adjustment range just over 3 inches (80 mm). Mine has been at the very bottom height setting the whole time I’ve owned it. Raising the shield allows air to flow around the lower, outer edges which creates noise and turbulence. The newest design may behave differently.

My original version NC Madstad has a vertical adjustment range just over 3 inches (80 mm). Mine has been at the very bottom height setting the whole time I’ve owned it. Raising the shield allows air to flow around the lower, outer edges which creates noise and turbulence. The newest design may behave differently.
That's pretty good. Yea, windshields are just so weird when it comes to air management. I think that's why mfgs just stick a small shield on that looks decent and be done with it. proper air managment is a pain.

So I bought a 22" light gray Madstad and installed it last weekend. It is wonderful and has eliminated the buffeting I had at the top of my helmet with my CalSci medium. I see over the screen, and with it adjusted just a bit more "vertical" it creates a very nice calm bubble. My Schuberth C3 Pro is very quiet already, and in this bubble is perfect. Very easy install (I did not install the winglets because I have Barkbusters and they would have hit) and very high quality parts and instructions. It surely is not the cheapest solution (but it's also not the most expensive), but as always "buy once, cry once."

With this screen and my heated jacket liner and gloves, I'm good to ride as long as there's no ice or snow on the road.
My winglets do not interfere with my Barkbusters on my 700 but I do have 2 inch risers on my steering. Those winglets keep a lot ov wind off your thighs. Nice in winter.

interesting -- I've also got risers but my barkbusters (storms) just contact the screen at full lock left or right. The winglets would be a no-go.

Back