• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Quick question re: Givi and Honda top case

• Thread starter Deleted member 4372
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4372

I'm about to spring for an NC700XD.
My current bike (Wee Strom) has Givi E41 side cases. They're giant and I love having them aboard.
My question is about what I'll need to mount Givi racks to the NC with a Honda top case. I understand Givi makes the Honda case. Is that correct?
Givi says I'll need additional hardware to fit side racks: "Installation requires either the 1111FZ Monorack or the 1111KIT." Does the Honda top case come with that hardware? In other words, if I have a Honda top case will I need ONLY the Givi rack ("MONOKEY SIDE CASE HARDWARE Product SKU: PL1111")

Hope I'm making some sense.
I appreciate your assistance.

Rainier

The Honda top case doesn't fit anything but the specific Honda Accessory rack. Givi may have built the Honda top case but it's not compatible with Givi Monokey or Monolock hardware. The Honda top case has it's own "proprietary" mount system.

Since you don't have the bike yet, can you elaborate on why a Honda top case is involved? It it a used bike that already has a top case? If not, I wouldn't even think about using the Honda case and just go with all Givi hardware.

Last edited:
Like 670 stated the two items do not match. However, you can order a rear rack plate from SW, Rotex, Koplin and probably a few more folks that will let the top case be installed with just a little work. SW rack is a quick fix.

Last edited:
The bike has the Honda case on it. It's a nice case, so I'd like to keep it. I do hate the way rack/attachment pieces are all proprietary: sort of like Apple and Sony. Do it their way or don't do it. Oh well. It's only money, right?
Thanks for the answer, gentlemen. I appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then the question is whether the Givi 1111FZ and the 1111KIT will fit with the Honda accessory rack support arms that the previous owner would have had to install in place of the stock passenger grad rails. I don't know the answer to that. Maybe someone on the forum does.

Then the question is whether the Givi 1111FZ and the 1111KIT will fit with the Honda accessory rack support arms that the previous owner would have had to install in place of the stock passenger grad rails. I don't know the answer to that. Maybe someone on the forum does.

I heard no, not without grinding away some of the Honda rack or using spacers to lift it up. I might be trying one of those solutions sometime this summer.

Greenex, I'm bumping this because you are exactly correct.

Take a look here, as an example:

Givi PL1111 Sidecase Hardware for Honda NC700X '11-'13: Accessories International

If I'm reading this correctly, I can buy Givi's KIT and use it with any top case (e.g. in my case, the Honda with the Honda OEM mount)
So, ladies and gentlemen: am I reading this correctly? (I mean the second paragraph under "Product Descriptions")
I have Givi E41's which are a perfect match for my new to me 2013 NC XD. Silver/black meets silver/black.
Thanks for your assistance.

Rainier

The muddy water is clearing.
Givi is no fool. If I want the rack without the top rack, I have to pay extra for the "kit." So I'll need the $190 PL1111 rack AND the $40 1111KIT. No fools, they: let's get as much money from those motorcyclists as we can!

So, ladies and gentlemen: am I reading this correctly?
I would say no, it seems to me more like this:

With Givi, you buy the bike-specific/ pannier-specific mounts. THEN you buy either A: a rack (kit) that allows you to mount a top box or B: a kit that doesn't allow you to mount a top box (i.e.,in isolation of a top box)

Either way you go, you need two Givi specific hardware items (minimum) to mount their panniers. The bike-specific/pannier-specific mounts AND either a rack kit that allows you mount a monkey plate for a Givi top box OR the kit that you referenced which allows you to mount the panniers in isolation of a top case (it doesn't require and can't even mount a monokey plate for a top case).

BTW, if you end up going with Givi top case you also have to order a third item..The monokey plate I mentioned above, which is what you actually connect to the top case. Most people order the kit that will accept a monokey plate even if they don't currently have plans for a top case. Otherwise if you order the other kit, and you change your mind, you get to reorder another kit. Clear as mud, eh?

I don't know where/how the OEM Honda mounts....mount, but I going to assume they use the same locations as the Givi mounts, rendering the two incompatible.

Originally, I was going to go with OEM Honda luggage but because they are designed to work only with the NC I went with Givi instead. All I have to do if I change bikes is buy a new pannier mount, allowing me still use all the luggage.

You of course could modify, weld, braze, plasma cut, grind or JB Weld something that would get your Honda top case on the bike with Givi hardware but I don't think it will be plug n play..

Last edited:
Urgh. Rob, I am not liking what you're telling me! Bummer. I have a Bestem top case on my vstrom and it's OK. The honda oem case is better quality and the latch is far superior. But it's inability to play with others. Bummer.

Here's what the web page says:

Select this kit if you would like to use the GIVI PL1111 Pannier Holder without the GIVI 1111FZ Monorack Arms. Essentially, this means that should you want to equip Givi Side Cases in isolation from a Top Box you should select this Kit option.

So I want to install Givi E41s "in isolation from a Top Box. I'll just tell the Givi rack that the Honda top case isn't really there. I get the PL1111 pannier holder AND the 1111KIT and, voila! Good to go.
OR does the Givi PL1111 rack assume my bike has the standard issue hand-holds-rails and won't work with the different holds used by the OEM Honda top case?

I've twice written to Givi without hearing back from them. A smidgen annoying.

Just examined a sketch/drawing/schematic of the 1111KIT. It appears to fit under the standard Honda hand-holds. The different holds on my bike use the same bolt holes. Looks like between the KIT and the PL1111 rack I'm good.
I'm reading "in isolation" a bit different than you are, Rob. I'm reading it as "if you want to install side cases but no top case OR with any top case EXCEPT a Givi--separate from, in isolation from, a top case" use the KIT.

I'll be calling GIVI on Monday. Well report what I learn.

A sort of dichotomous key, showing the options (which are limited; not infinite) would be most useful. Shad or Givi? Pick. Givi or Kappa? Top case: bestem or OEM? etc. Will I do that? Probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me, again.
On the Motostorm.it site it says of the 1111KIT: "Specific kit to install the PL1111 / PLX1111 / TE1111 without the specific rear rack 1111FZ. ..." (ellipsis is theirs not mine)

sounds like the 1111KIT is what I need.

Motostorm is $22.00 USD vs $37.80 in the US. Don't know (yet) what shipping is.

The different holds on my bike use the same bolt holes.

While the stock hand rails and the luggage hand rails do use the same holes, they are shaped a little differently that will probably affect the fitting of the Givi hardware. The luggage hand rails somewhat wrap under/around the seat cowls more than the stock hand rails. I've heard of some folks either 1) trimming away some of the material on Honda luggage hand rails or 2) using a series of spacers to raise the luggage hand rails.

Here are a couple relevant posts:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/3771-trunk-sidecarrier-configuration-3.html#post66614

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...us-honda-nc700x-saddlebags-20.html#post148150

Thanks guys. My google fu is weak today.
It's a 2013 NC. One comment in the threads you mention above say something like "It's a 2013 so you won't have to trim..." I may have to order the 1111kit just to see how it works. I do like the Honda case. And I'm very cheap. And I like my Givi E41 cases. And I take long trips. And I camp. And... I'll figure it out, with some help: thanks!

Just price the SW Motech. Close to $400 for the racks and adapters for my Givi. Whoa. I need to sit down...

The 'trimming' is to do with bodywork plastic, not the handrails. On the '12, installing Honda's alternate handrails (to mount the saddlebags or top case) required one to cut a bit of the plastic on that small piece of bodywork plastic that is the tail section. No trimming of handrails was necessary.

Your plan will work, OP, because the two sets of Honda handrails mount in exactly the same place and same way. And, the picture in the other thread (linked a couple posts up) clearly shows Givi saddlebags with Honda's accessory rail and top case mounting plate.

Phoned Mark at Givi's eastern side of the USA office. Great guy. Very patient and thorough. He affirmed what has been said already: Honda made the hand rails fancy, with extra material to pretty things up. Unappreciated by someone like me who tends to favor function over form.
It will work. I'll play with either doing some trimming, as others have done, or, if it works, putting some spacers in, raising pieces a bit higher. The Givi E41 cases are quite, uh, hmmm, robust? Endowed? They're BIG. So getting them a little higher is fine by me, although raising the weight of the loaded cases an inch doesn't stir my cocoa.
I ordered the necessary Givi mounting hardware: PL1111 and 1111Kit from MotoStorm in Italy. Cost of both, including shipping, is $40 less than the price of just the PL1111 from every US seller, pre shipping. I've read a few horror stories about MotoStorm, but have read plenty of positive reviews too. I'm thinking positive...
(And, if anyone is interested, I've ordered a PWM temp controller from eBay and a pair of Syntec grip heaters. I've got neoprene tape for the grips on its way too. Need to figure out a small "dash board" for the grip heater knob and a voltmeter. Some wiring to do, too, and I'm searching out a fuse block. Let's see: grip heaters; heated jacket and pants liner; conspicuity "fog lights"; line to the frunk with a couple of USB sockets; lighter socket for air pump. Am I at six or do I need an 8-way block?)
Thanks, all for your help and interest. I'm loving my new 2013 NC DCT.

Back