• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Quick Tips: Loosening Overwrenched Screws

Texican88

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

So as I'm sure many of you have noticed, both Honda and our dealers don't really pay too much attention to the recommended torque settings for just about every fastener on the bike, which has made simple "bolt-on" projects significantly more difficult out of fear of stripping screws.

I currently use hand tools to do all of my work. What are the best tips you have to loosening these fasteners? Should I just buy a power tool? I've tried WD-40 to no avail.

Thanks.

Couple of things can be happening especially with screws:

1. proper driver JIS screws prefer JIS driver link to further info:

Google Image Result for http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/jis-screwdrivers/jis-screwdriver-side-by-side-phillips.jpg

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/jis-screwdrivers/

Yes, Phillips drivers do work but they tend to cam out more often if down pressure is not maintained.

2. I think Honda does torque every fastener. The ones with white or yellow paint dot are double checked. Less critical screws like one in plastic etc are driven with torque limited tools.
Many fasteners may have "lock tite" applied or a steel screw in aluminum may "stick" do to dissimilar metals and natures "lock tite" at work. If there electrolysis (steel and aluminum reaction WD40 will not do much as it won't likely get down to the threads). Some talk about stainless fastener as a fix but they can actual be worse for this dissimilar metals plus stainless threads tend to gall.

3. Amount of torque when tightened may not be the same as the amount of torque to loosen the bolt. Second #2.

4. Hammer type impact, air impact or battery driver impact are great tools but can you in trouble twice as quick too.

Battery impact with the proper driver make easy work on screws.

Last edited:
Showkey gave you some really good tips. If a screw or bolt has been installed with high strength thread locker (Locktite), heat will help. In other words heat up the bolt to loosen the Loctite. This obviously can only be used away from plastics.

Bob

Knowing Honda from many products and from working for them many years ago I think they actually are assembled with great precision and attention to detail at least from the factory. All bets are off when dealing with a dealer's work during service or an accessory install. These bikes are shipped 99% assembled from Japan and the dealers only install the mirrors and windshield.

That said I have stripped my share of fasteners working on Honda motorcycles. Like Showkey posted it is very important to use JIS screwdrivers and bits that exactly fit the screw head. One thing I do on a tight screw is to recognize how much force I am placing on it. In the sizes of screws we are usually dealing with they are not torqued with a lot of force so if it does not come free fairly easily then stop before damaging it. I have a small pair of locking pliers (vice grips) about 6" long. Clamped to the screwdriver handle at 90 degrees gives me a lever to rotate the screw while I concentrate on pressing down as hard as I can on the screwdriver with the other hand. This usually works but if it does not I stop twisting before stripping the head. At this point I dig out my impact driver. For seized or corroded fasteners I use a spray product called Free. PB Blaster is also good to free seized threads but smells bad.

This is great info, fellas. I just purchased a small set of JIS drivers. Hope to have them in the next day or two and will try again.

Back