• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Quiet OEM Muffler vs. Aftermarket

I just happened to run across this video where the guy simply drilled a 1" hole in the midpipe of his CTX700, a spot which will be under the heat shield. It's a pretty clever way to get the better sound and keep the OEM look. Can't beat the price, like $4. I'd only do this on the 12/13 NC models with the big silver can. I think it was 14 when they improved the look and sound of the OEM; I could be wrong about the year.

I just happened to run across this video where the guy simply drilled a 1" hole in the midpipe of his CTX700, a spot which will be under the heat shield. It's a pretty clever way to get the better sound and keep the OEM look. Can't beat the price, like $4. I'd only do this on the 12/13 NC models with the big silver can. I think it was 14 when they improved the look and sound of the OEM; I could be wrong about the year.
These days with the new laws coming down the pipe (pun intended), drilling a hole anywhere in your exhaust system would likely result in repercussions for the wallet.

These days with the new laws coming down the pipe (pun intended), drilling a hole anywhere in your exhaust system would likely result in repercussions for the wallet.
I kind of doubt a small hole covered by the heat shield on a 10 year old bike would be a big problem, as it doesn't affect the cat or even require remapping, but I was wrong once before. It's also a cheap and easy fix to replace just the midpipe. But I'm not saying it's better than getting a genuine slip on...it was just an interesting DIY.

This in an interesting perspective. So simple for increasing sound. I do believe it may cause issues for inspection if the shop is strict for exhaust modifications.

I’m not a fan of loud exhausts, but don’t mind a throaty one, that can’t be heard when you’re cruising.

My 2021 has 2500 kilometres on it. I don’t ride it gently compared to many here, and cruise at 120 to 130 km/h when I can. It’s giving me 87 imperial mpg.

Honda have obviously really dialed this bike in well considering the emissions restricting the engine. I’d hate to risk putting on a slip on and affecting the mileage. No slip on for me.

I’m not a fan of loud exhausts, but don’t mind a throaty one, that can’t be heard when you’re cruising.

My 2021 has 2500 kilometres on it. I don’t ride it gently compared to many here, and cruise at 120 to 130 km/h when I can. It’s giving me 87 imperial mpg.

Honda have obviously really dialed this bike in well considering the emissions restricting the engine. I’d hate to risk putting on a slip on and affecting the mileage. No slip on for me.
I'm getting the same mpg with the slip on, just fwiw. I also ride hard and still get about 60 mpg (US), with me at 200 and a Madstad barn door. Drops to 55 two-up.

I'm getting the same mpg with the slip on, just fwiw. I also ride hard and still get about 60 mpg (US), with me at 200 and a Madstad barn door. Drops to 55 two-up.
Good to know. The only thing I’ve found that seems to drop mileage substantially is headwinds. But that’s just going by the mileage display which I notice increases majorly when I encounter one. I ride solo, but I imagine riding with mounted luggage and carriers wouLtd have the somewhat same effect.

Back