• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Radiator guard

frog13

Reaction score
Visit site
What brand / style of radiator guard are folks using? . Like most buyers I'm looking for a decent priced unit, sturdy installation etc etc. I'm in favor of the " screen " type, if that makes sense, but not opposed to other styles. TIA

I use an R&G radiator guard. It was one of the first aftermarket guards to come available in the early days of the NC. It is fine and has held up well, but over priced, in my opinion.

What brand / style of radiator guard are folks using? . Like most buyers I'm looking for a decent priced unit, sturdy installation etc etc. I'm in favor of the " screen " type, if that makes sense, but not opposed to other styles. TIA
NONE

I believe, based on various NC700/750x forum posts and FB groups that people buy these for looks and not for function.

There are almost no reports of them actually doing anything other than drain your wallet of cash. Some occasional reports pop up by people who use their NC7--x bikes in seriously off road conditions, but something close to statical ZERO road riders report need for these.

The radiator is high and not exposed to rock kicks from the front tire. In a crash that engages the typically thin aluminum radiator guard the guard, and the radiator behind it will be crushed.

If you want to dress up your bike and have the extra cash, go for it.

I find rad guards very helpful for minimizing insect clogging of the fins, be it motorcycles or 4 wheels.
Where I live, summer riding, especially in the evening, has all kinds of butterflies, moths, bees, and assorted other sizeable insects filling the air.
With my Goldwing i never had an issue with its side facing rads.
But front mounted rads are a different story.
And if you do any maintenance on your bike, it takes just a brush-by of the rad with an elbow or hand to bend the fins and lower the rad's efficiency.

I think I spent $10 or $15 on both of mine. The piece of expanded stainless steel was enough to make both of them.

The Evotech guard is very good value for the price. It's painted aluminum mesh, so it's lightweight. It attaches easily and is unobtrusive on the bike. It helps keep the radiator fins clear of debris. NB: the 3mm screws that hold the side pieces onto the bosses on the guard should be finger-tightened only with threadlocker. There was a chap a while back who put his weight into torquing those tiny screws in the hope the radiator guard would be more firmly mounted. He pulled one of the bosses off the guard as a result.

Thank you for all responses!..... great info all around. Could've swore I seen Evotech offered by Revzilla......I've read so much lately, I could be mistaken.

I bought one off Alibaba for like 10 bucks. The same as the cheap ones found on ebay usually but for even cheaper on Alibaba. It's thin metal but has an interestingly cut hole design and even says NC700 on it. As mentioned above I've had the bike for almost 8 years and only put the guard on it last summer. So for 7 years riding year-round on streets, I have never had a rock bend a blade. I only added it to my bike for looks and to help with bugs. If bug cleaning is on your list one with a mesh protection wont help as much as one cut from thin steel.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 12
I have one from Beowulf (UK). But knowing what I know now I would definitely be going for an Evotech. Just google it for images and you’ll see why.

NONE

I believe, based on various NC700/750x forum posts and FB groups that people buy these for looks and not for function.

There are almost no reports of them actually doing anything other than drain your wallet of cash. Some occasional reports pop up by people who use their NC7--x bikes in seriously off road conditions, but something close to statical ZERO road riders report need for these.

The radiator is high and not exposed to rock kicks from the front tire. In a crash that engages the typically thin aluminum radiator guard the guard, and the radiator behind it will be crushed.

If you want to dress up your bike and have the extra cash, go for it.

A few weeks after installing mine, I have a dent in the guard that would have absolutely resulted in a radiator replacement.
So here is your report of the effectiveness of radiator protection. I am glad I had the radiator guard on there when this debris struck. I hope you don't get caught out.
P.S. - I do not ride off road with this bike.

A few weeks after installing mine, I have a dent in the guard that would have absolutely resulted in a radiator replacement.
So here is your report of the effectiveness of radiator protection. I am glad I had the radiator guard on there when this debris struck. I hope you don't get caught out.
P.S. - I do not ride off road with this bike.
So you are probably the 2nd, possibly 3rd road rider to report this. Again, close to statistical ZERO. And, as I said, if people want to dress up their bikes I have no issue. I'm just realistic about their actual usefulness.

So you are probably the 2nd, possibly 3rd road rider to report this. Again, close to statistical ZERO. And, as I said, if people want to dress up their bikes I have no issue. I'm just realistic about their actual usefulness.
I‘ve had a radiator guard on the NC for maybe 45,000 miles. There are no dings in the radiator guard. it looks like new.

I also have a Fenda Extenda. That my keep some debris off the radiator.

I understand the statistics, but like I said, I'm glad I had it at the time. Very cheap insurance compared to a new radiator. To each his own.

I‘ve had a radiator guard on the NC for maybe 45,000 miles. There are no dings in the radiator guard. it looks like new.

I also have a Fenda Extenda. That my keep some debris off the radiator.

This dent in the guard was a direct shot, it did not come up from the wheel. It's like an eighth of an inch deep in the guard, pretty good hit.
I will travel easier knowing that guard is on there.

Debris can come from a few different areas / angles , not just the front wheel. But, some riders do not wear even a helmet let alone full gear. Everyone has their own thing. Ride on

Statistically speaking, you don't need a helmet. Most riders live out their lives without a fatal brain injury. However, in my lifetime I've replaced three windshields cracked by a rock or pebble thrown up by a vehicle in front of me.

Of course I wear a helmet all the time "just in case", just like the radiator guard I fabricated for the NC "just in case". I don't consider either one a dress up item.

Evotech on my 2015 DCT. Agreed that statistically it's something of a non-issue, but as Dave says, same goes for a helmet. I ride alone most of the time, and do go on the fire roads that throw up more gravel and rocks. I compare the price of the guard to the price of a tow truck coming to get me when I'm by myself or 15 miles off the paved roads.

Back