• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rain spraying through hole under headlight

charkmandler

Reaction score
Visit site
2017 NC750x, I bought this bike new (100 miles on clock) just over 4 months ago and have done 8000 miles mostly in the dry. Now with winter on us in the UK there's been a fair bit of rain and in heavy rain at 70mph the water sprays from the hole under the speedo / headlight up under my helmet, soaking the base of the lining and even forcing up on the visor inside. This is a major problem as I often do long journeys on motorways.
I guess I just block up the hole but am wondering if anyone that has experienced this has a different solution?

I've always had that problem but never done anything about it. It's significantly better on the NC than my old F800 was, that was a monsoon.

If it's raining, I get wet either way.

Is this a problem with the newer bikes? I have the older version and I've never seen anything like this.
I was wondering that, too. I don’t have experience with the 2016-2020 body. I’ve ridden my 2012 through all levels of rain and severe storms, and rain coming up through the tunnel either went unnoticed or never happened. Not that I wasn’t thoroughly wet, but that area didn’t seem to be the source.

The only thought that came to mind was whether the presence of a fender extender makes any difference. I wouldn’t think so.

I dont particularly notice rain coming up thru the tunnel on my 2021, but I do notice cold air coming up thru the tunnel and into the bottom of my helmet

Last edited:
The tunnel filters are for around the fork legs where as the tunnel on the NC is just below the speedo. I can block it and see what affect it has.
I think the wind has to be in the correct direction for this effect to happen and it can be hard to see in hard rain. It was on one journey that I could clearly see a plume of water coming from the hole and heading directly under my helmet.

The tunnel filters are for around the fork legs where as the tunnel on the NC is just below the speedo. I can block it and see what affect it has.
I think the wind has to be in the correct direction for this effect to happen and it can be hard to see in hard rain. It was on one journey that I could clearly see a plume of water coming from the hole and heading directly under my helmet.
You originally said “from the hole under the speedo / headlight”. To me, on on the NCX, under the headlight is the same hole the forks pass through. Did you mean the hole between the speedo and headlight?

Seeing a plume of water coming up the tunnel would (or will) be quiet a surprise for me also.

Now if I was in the marketing division trying to put a positive spin on this, I would probably advocate adding a shampoo despenser on the handle bars.

Back