• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Random musings on the NC

Oldbear

Reaction score
Visit site
While “new” to NC’s, I’ve been playing with bikes for a LONG time (since ‘67). I’ve owned a number of modern, high performance bike as well as heavy tourers. I’ve noticed on the NC that there are two basic groups of riders, those new to the sport, and those, like myself who have been there, done that and now just want a light, reliable, “do it all” machine. Lets be honest here, it takes zero skill to ride 100+ on the slab on any of today’s “performance” machines. Anyone with the ability to get the machine in gear and turn their right wrist 120 degrees can do it. That does not mean they are skilled motorcyclists. A true rider can go quickly through a winding stretch of road-many of today’s “sport bike” riders and “road pirates” can not. To me, a curvy road is where motorcycling is truly fun and a challenge. While the NC is certainly capable of running the slab all day, in reality that gets pretty boring, pretty fast on any machine. For a truly fun, easy ride I believe our bikes are pretty tough to beat. There is adequate power for doing anything you need to do and most of what anyone would want to do. In the real world, nobody spends a lot of time at 100+-if they do they’ll either (1) lose their license or (2) lose their life. The roads, and hazards out their simply prohibit it. So while it may be “cool” to have a 160 mph bike, unless you are on a track with a Long straight you will never see it. For the new guys, a 50 horse 500 lb machine is more than enough to get you into trouble (in the “day” 50 hp, 100 mph machines were the sole province of the expert rider). Use common sense when you ride, wear your gear, all the time. I know the cool kids ride in shorts, t shirts and flip flops, but if you’ve ever seen someone who crashed at even low speed and had their hide sanded off you’ll quickly figure out you don’t wanna be “that guy”. ATGATT may not be comfortable at times, but it is always way more comfortable than a skin graft. Remember, there are Old riders, and there are Bold riders. There are no Old, Bold riders. On 2 wheels you have to be watchful all the time, every time. What is a fender bender in a car is bad news on a bike.. Enjoy our sport, practice your skills and learn to ride that windy road in your neighborhood quickly, with minimum use of brake and maximum use of lean angle. Your NC will keep you amused and enjoying the ride for a long time.

Back