• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Random thoughts / pics thread

Not moto related but here's some eye candy from Saturday on the Greenbrier River WV. Leisure, adventure and mild disaster ... none of it less memorable than the other.

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_131329-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200613_131329-01.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
I rode with a few buddies in the dirt for basically the first time and I had a blast.
I technically have done a few dozen miles of dirt on my C50 and a hundred or two on my NC700 but... Street tires don't count!

rsz_20200625_133902.jpg
I only snapped a few photos because we rode like maniacs. Very long, hot days.

Attachments

• rsz_20200625_133902.jpg
    rsz_20200625_133902.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
20200625_193930.jpgrsz_20200625_172053.jpg
Blue shirt brought a Scrambler 1200 out. And, well, it got a little Scrambled. Nothing some epoxy, a stick, and duct tape couldn't sort out. I need to ask him how much he's out on the engine case alone. Got a half-dollar sized hole at least. Highsided onto the right rock. Or wrong one.

Also, whoever left the oil-fill cap behind the exhaust pipe is... I don't think I can say those words on this forum...

Bloody elbow had a pinch flat in the dirt and didn't realize it until he was sliding into a ditch on pavement. Off pavement?

Later he admitted that fleece doesn't make for good protection. ATGATT!

Thinking about it now.... I have three tractors.

-C50 "Boulevard" T
-NC700 "I'll catch up" X
-DRZ400 "30 Pounds of State Regs" S

I'm all about the tractor factor! As I was telling the lads, small boys get it done quicker!

I tried telling my wife the same thing, but she told me that wasn't something to brag about. :rolleyes:

I rode with a few buddies in the dirt for basically the first time and I had a blast.
Why, those practically are street tires. Which is what I hear for not running pure knobbies ; }
Washington has some great stuff. What river are you up above in pic #1?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why, those practically are street tires. Which is what I hear for not running pure knobbies ; }
Washington has some great stuff. What river are you up above in pic #1?
They sure are bumpy street tires though!

I'm so blessed to live here, the only thing that has ever made me want to leave is the cost of everything up here. It's all kinds of gorgeous!

That river is, I believe, the White River. I jumped in it earlier that day, best thing I did all afternoon. Didn't even take my kit off. Ice cold. Mmm

I'm so blessed to live here, the only thing that has ever made me want to leave is the cost of everything up here. It's all kinds of gorgeous!

That river is, I believe, the White River. I jumped in it earlier that day, best thing I did all afternoon. Didn't even take my kit off. Ice cold. Mmm
Yeah! ... I loved my time living in Washington. Didn't ride back then but hiked, biked, and did a lot of backroads trips, a lot on rugged FS roads. Seemed to me that higher cost of living was mainly housing and the like, somewhat countered by better paying jobs.

Thinking about it now.... I have three tractors.

-C50 "Boulevard" T
-NC700 "I'll catch up" X
-DRZ400 "30 Pounds of State Regs" S

I'm all about the tractor factor! As I was telling the lads, small boys get it done quicker!

I tried telling my wife the same thing, but she told me that wasn't something to brag about. :rolleyes:
:D

Yeah! ... I loved my time living in Washington. Didn't ride back then but hiked, biked, and did a lot of backroads trips, a lot on rugged FS roads. Seemed to me that higher cost of living was mainly housing and the like, somewhat countered by better paying jobs.
If you can get one of those jobs. A lot of the housing price issue comes from zoning issues and then the brutal reality of our landscape. All the mountains and water create a lot of constraints before one even considers wetland protection and so on.

It's not just housing though. My wife and I went on a road trip through Pennsylvania and in Pittsburgh we stopped at a brewery and got drinks. They had all these awards on the wall, felt like something we would (and do) have at home.

The server came back, profusely apologetic, because the cocktail wasn't on happy hour after all! She was convinced the price would be too much. It was only $6.

Up here it would be $10- during happy hour. Our total for the meals and drinks, including tip was $36. We spend that much for a single restaurant night without drinks here. We do not have haughty tastes.

On a related note, I had one of the best, reasonably priced burgers in Montana and felt like I robbed the place. Went to a brewhouse and their deluxe burger and lemonade was only about $15 with a very generous tip.

Flew up to Door County, Wisconsin, USA this weekend to go bike around Peninsula State Park.
Three of us went, all in separate planes for social distancing.

Got about 14 mpg (of $4.00 per gallon avgas) to go 350 statute miles round trip. Only slightly worse fuel economy than an NC....

IMG_3164.jpg IMG_3166.jpg

Last edited:
Just for variety I rode my WR250R into Glacier NP yesterday instead of my NC. 150 miles or so. 20 degrees+ difference between up high and down lower, lots of wind too... Seeing all those Harleys and a some BMWs made me unique ; } ...Still a few Harley lame-ohs with their fairing stereos playing bad music full blast to hear over their frickin' loud pipes. Anyway, snagged some shots.

"Hey, look guys – nice marmot!"

2020-07-15 14;57;16 by greenboy, on Flickr

Swiftcurrent Lookout, over six and a quarter miles away. If you look closely you can see some of the many switchbacks on the left flank. • 800mm [ff equiv] handheld

2020-07-15 14;55;06 by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-07-15 16;48;07 by greenboy, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Back