• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Random thoughts / pics thread

Just a couple images from a large group that interest or inspire me from a couple days ago, not that many with the motorcycle in them which is liberating at times ; } ... Hopefully the suckage differential between viewing them here and on flickr won't be too disappointing because everybody should get to see a better approximation of what it's really like.

by greenboy, on Flickr

2020-07-27 15;27;07 by greenboy, on Flickr
So "dramatic" photo!
Beautiful...

Last edited:
20200808_183723.jpg

I love cows and so I thought it would be fun to block my bike with my wife's head to brag to my buddy who bailed on riding today....

I know this isn't anything as good as greenboy's photos but there it is.

We play a game called "cows on my side" where, well, you call cows on your side of the road. You can call your opponent's cows if they don't notice them by the time the vehicle is parallel to the herd. You then say "cows on your side".

Passing a cemetery 'buries' your points and it goes down to zero. But your opponent has to call it. If they don't see it, it wasn't there.

One time traveling through Oregon we both got into the hundreds, and then a cemetery happened. Then a big debate started over the rules and who was a sore loser. To this day, nobody knows who was the sorest.

I'm Janus, and thanks for coming to my TEDtalk

I tend to post a few more photos up on my flickr every day, often ones from earlier rides. In this one I added today I was shooting at 200mm [ff equiv] but I didn't/couldn't even see the people in this (near bottom center) until getting the image up on my computer. Imagine my surprise when I later noticed teensy people (unfortunately wearing white shirts) near the top on the right, obviously at greater distance since they appear to be only maybe 1/4 as tall. Probably can't see them at all unless you look on flickr and use one of the larger views.

2020-07-31 14;26;51 by greenboy, on Flickr

I tend to post a few more photos up on my flickr every day, often ones from earlier rides. In this one I added today I was shooting at 200mm [ff equiv] but I didn't/couldn't even see the people in this (near bottom center) until getting the image up on my computer. Imagine my surprise when I later noticed teensy people (unfortunately wearing white shirts) near the top on the right, obviously at greater distance since they appear to be only maybe 1/4 as tall. Probably can't see them at all unless you look on flickr and use one of the larger views.

Took me a couple of minutes. Had to revert to original image on Flickr.

Like a game of Where's Waldo, me likes

Kinda chuckled on this one. But double down on the thought for the Africa Twin...

20200805_153034-jpg.2482588

There’s something about old cemeteries I pass while riding in the boonies. It’s interesting to stop and read the old weathered tombstones, the ones where you can barely read the dates. Makes you wonder about those people and the times they lived in.

There’s something about old cemeteries I pass while riding in the boonies. It’s interesting to stop and read the old weathered tombstones, the ones where you can barely read the dates. Makes you wonder about those people and the times they lived in.
I like seeing the veterans' as well as the homesteaders' : }

I can relate to that. There's an old one, called Red Hill Cemetery, off of a dirt road about 30 min from where I live that I have walked around doing the same thing. Graves from small community dating back to late 1800's. Just one of those isolated areas that isn't far from civilization but has gone virtually untouched by time.

Here's a cemetery I could have never reached on the NC. In fact I was trying to get up a track I found on my WR250R and couldn't do it until I got new tires and Tubliss so I could run ultra low pressures. Then I went back and conquered the track and I discovered this which kind of touched me, along with an old ranch above that was accessed by an actual road:

2015-09-04 17;13;11 by greenboy, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Glacial Lake Missoula territory along the Clark Fork, probably mostly or all lake bottom in those times. Lots of the pacific northwest starting in northwest Montana has been shaped by repeated Glacial Lake Missoula cataclysms.

2020-07-26 16;25;31 by greenboy, on Flickr

One of my recurring thoughts is that a lot of dealers could lower their shop rates to something just a bit more sane, and more of them use cheaper tire changes as incentive to get more business as well. Want to sell more bikes to people who aren't addicted yet? Fix the perception that the cost of maintenance and fixing in a dealer shop is done by blundering idiots who don't care whose management that will squeeze you til you're dry – it's sad that the word stealership is all too commonly used. Maybe they can't ever come close to the economy of scale and competition found in the automotive market, but they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot the way things are now.

It is 21st August and we have had only 1 day of 90 degrees (91'F)....July was hot as Hades (many days in the 90s'F range) but August has been cool....4 mornings in a row, low 60s or lower at 630am (Wednesday it was 57'F)...and we have had 0 days in the triple digits (and probably wont now)...not bad for south central Indiana..

Seems like it don't do crap here in North AL but RAIN every other day! Rained half the day today.....I went to a bike night about an hour away last night and rode in the rain half the way home.

Back