• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

"Ratcheting" sound in chain after new rear tire mounting

RubyRider

Reaction score
Visit site
SOOOO... I finally got the rear tire mounted WITH THE SPACERS this time. Everything is lining up and wheel spins freely... sort of. The wheel will spin for a few seconds and then stop, but I can spin it by hand with zero issues. I assume it's okay? There is another thing that is slighty more worrisome, at least to me. My chain now makes what I can only describe as a ratcheting sound now with new tire. It was not doing that before.

What chain slack do you currently measure, and are you measuring it with the bike on the side stand or center stand?

What chain slack do you currently measure, and are you measuring it with the bike on the side stand or center stand?
i measure little over an inch, i did adjust it and the noise seems to lessen. I did take it for a short ride and didn;t notice anything different. how much chain noise is normal?

And the other part of the question was, did you measure the chain slack with the motorcycle on it’s side stand or center stand? It makes a difference due to the angle of the swingarm, unloaded vs partially loaded.

You may be paranoid, but you still need to verify that the chain slack is correct. Based on the limited data so far, it sounds like it may be set too tight.

And the other part of the question was, did you measure the chain slack with the motorcycle on it’s side stand or center stand? It makes a difference due to the angle of the swingarm, unloaded vs partially loaded.
OH! my bad, i measure on the center stand

You may be paranoid, but you still need to verify that the chain slack is correct. Based on the limited data so far, it sounds like it may be set too tight.
The measurements on the swingarm show an inch and 3/8ths, thats a little over an inch isn't it? im using a tape measure so I can't be super accurate

OH! my bad, i measure on the center stand.
The measurements on the swingarm show an inch and 3/8ths, thats a little over an inch isn't it? im using a tape measure so I can't be super accurate

Using a tape measure is fine, although metric units are preferred. 1.375“ is about 35 mm. Some folks on the forum have determined that, measured on the center stand, we should add 5mm to the spec in the manual, which assumes measurement is done on the side stand. You are right on the tight side of spec, which in my experience can cause chain noise. With the motorcycle on the center stand, I set mine to 40-45mm slack.

Last edited:
Using a tape measure is fine, although metric units are preferred. 1.375“ is about 35 mm. Some folks on the forum have determined that, measured on the center stand, we should add 5mm to the spec in the manual, which assumes measurement is done on the side stand. You are right on the tight side of spec, which in my experience can cause chain noise. With the motorcycle on the center stand, I set mine to 40-45mm slack.
roger, so which way to I turn the adjuster? I did adjust a little but after loosening the plate seems to not have enough tension to stay in place

roger, so which way to I turn the adjuster? I did adjust a little but after loosening the plate seems to not have enough tension to stay in place
You can’t increase the chain slack by turning the adjusters. The adjusters can only tighten the chain by pulling the axle rearward. You need to loosen the axle nut enough that the axle will slide, loosen the adjuster bolts CCW a few turns, then kick the wheel forward with your boot (while holding on to the motorcycle or chocking the front wheel). Then snug up the axle nut some, but not so much that the axle can’t move, and begin the adjustment procedure again by tightening the adjuster bolts as needed, keeping both sides even. When adjustment point reached, torque axle nut to 72 lb-ft and tighten adjuster bolt locking nuts per owners manual procedure. Recheck slack.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, I get anxiety from all these questions after having had all that stuff apart. I just hope you're able to get everything SAFELY assembled correctly and do not have any accidents.

TBH RubyRider I am feeling the same anxiety after reading all you various questions on this forum. My feeling is that You are dealing with stuff that could cause You a serious accident because of possibly getting something wrong. Imho You should now find a competent dealer and hand your bike over to be checked professionally.

I'm going to have to agree with the majority here- just reading your questions makes me a bit nervous as to your ability to perform these somewhat complicated operations without compromising the safety or durability of the bike. I'd have a competent mechanic take a look at your bike, to make sure it is safe to operate.

BTW, the ratcheting sound seems more like a misaligned chain.

I'm going to have to agree with the majority here- just reading your questions makes me a bit nervous as to your ability to perform these somewhat complicated operations without compromising the safety or durability of the bike. I'd have a competent mechanic take a look at your bike, to make sure it is safe to operate.

I was going to suggest that. A misaligned chain could be the cause of the noise. I use a cheap tool like this one. After pulling the rear wheel, checking that everything is lined up is a must.

There is a you tube video for everything, find one for chain alignment. You also might invest in a laser chain alignment tool. Available at most online motorcycle accessory sites. Bike Bandit, Revzilla etc.

I'm not gonna lie, I get anxiety from all these questions after having had all that stuff apart. I just hope you're able to get everything SAFELY assembled correctly and do not have any accidents.
TBH RubyRider I am feeling the same anxiety after reading all you various questions on this forum. My feeling is that You are dealing with stuff that could cause You a serious accident because of possibly getting something wrong. Imho You should now find a competent dealer and hand your bike over to be checked professionally.

Okay, I won't ask questions anymore

RubyRider - the adjusters can pull the axle back which tightens slack but loosening the adjuster nuts will not cause the axle to move forward. For that task, I use a dead blow hammer and hit the axle ends on each side.

As regards chain alignment, I've found the increments on the adjuster plates often difficult to read so when I had the wheel off for a tire change, I removed/cleaned the adjusters and sprayed them silver. Now, I can easily count the marks!

Okay, I won't ask questions anymore

Tbh RR I am disappointed with that response. Nobody is suggesting not to ask questions. However as experienced motorcyclists who know most of the pitfalls (still learning tho) we are all merely concerned for Your safety.

Tbh RR I am disappointed with that response. Nobody is suggesting not to ask questions. However as experienced motorcyclists who know most of the pitfalls (still learning tho) we are all merely concerned for Your safety.
you are correct. It was a childish response. I was a little inebriated when I responded, I got a little drunk from the thanksgiving holiday. I was frustrated and I tend to take things a little personally. I am on the hunt for a mobile moto mechanic.

Back