• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Real cruise control for NC700 - volunteer needed

Reaction score
Visit site
In addition to my '13 NC700XD, I own a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 which, as of two weeks ago, is equipped with a Smart Line AP900c electronic cruise control from Brandon Distributing Inc. (BDI) in Elk River MN. It works just like an automotive CC with three function buttons (On/Off, Set and Resume plus incremental speed increase/decrease capability), because it is a custom application for the FJ using an automotive control module. And, as for automobiles, it is disabled (until Resume is pressed) when the brake or clutch are engaged. And it's dead accurate holding the set speed up and down hills, on flat sections and everywhere else. Too cool and the cost now, is around $375. (FJ-09 forum members got a price break as early adopters.)

I like having real cruise control on my FJ so much I contracted BDI to see if their "Universal" AP500 model for conventional, throttle cable driven vehicles could be adapted to the NC700 motorcycle. I was called almost immediately by Joe Brandon, whose first question was - do I live near Elk River, he would love to find a NC700 nearby to use developing a kit for our Honda model. He followed that up saying he has successfully installed the AP500 unit on several other motorcycles and doing it on the NC700 should be easy. Well, I would love to do it, but don't live near Elk River so I'm out of luck. But if anyone here lives near there and is willing to give up use of his bike for a few weeks, he could help other NC owners desiring CC and probably get a free CC to boot. (Joe didn't say so, but the FJ-09 volunteer got a free unit.)

This is Brandon's phone number: (763) 241-4172
Here are a couple of links:
BDI home: Brandon Dist - Aftermarket Auto Accessories
BDI motorcycle units: Motorcycle Cruise Controls
AP500 info: Smart Line AP500- Throttle Cable Driven Electronic Cruise Control

Member "crilly" reportedly did a successful Rostra brand cruise control install, but I couldn't find any replies or pictures in regards to questions about it in my brief search, unfortunately.

I was always curious about the details.

Hopefully if anyone tackles this one, there will be more info to poke at and obsess over :D

$375.00 is a heck of a lot cheaper than the possible $800 to $1000 I've seen quoted for the MC Cruise from Australia Home Page | Motorcycle Cruise Controls. I don't think MC Cruise makes one for the NC, they do make one for the VFR1200X & DCT at $878.15.

The AU dollar is trading (today) at about US $0.77, so unless they quoted the price in US dollars, it's less. MCCruise has been around for a long time and makes excellent cruise controls.

MCCruise uses the same Smart Line AP900c module as BDI (sourced elsewhere) for their FJ-09 (Tracer) throttle by wire unit and charges around 450 USD (plus shipping) for it. MCCruise is "plug & play" while BDI requires splicing and soldering (four) wires. Either way, it's a terrific improvement on highway stretches for motorcyclists and a vast improvement over throttle locks.

Incidentally, I posted a video of my FJ-09 with the BDI unit in place -- with a short ride at the end to show it in use. https://youtu.be/FEgLWbgmDdI You might wonder how exciting it is to see a CC working - unless it didn't work. Just to keep it interesting, mine decided to resist my effort bumping the speed up and down; saving it's response until I had punched in four or five MPH increase , then jumping up to it's new target speed. Operator error - it worked great on the freeway.

The AU dollar is trading (today) at about US $0.77, so unless they quoted the price in US dollars, it's less. MCCruise has been around for a long time and makes excellent cruise controls.

MCCruise uses the same Smart Line AP900c module as BDI (sourced elsewhere) for their FJ-09 (Tracer) throttle by wire unit and charges around 450 USD (plus shipping) for it. MCCruise is "plug & play" while BDI requires splicing and soldering (four) wires. Either way, it's a terrific improvement on highway stretches for motorcyclists and a vast improvement over throttle locks.

Incidentally, I posted a video of my FJ-09 with the BDI unit in place -- with a short ride at the end to show it in use. https://youtu.be/FEgLWbgmDdI You might wonder how exciting it is to see a CC working - unless it didn't work. Just to keep it interesting, mine decided to resist my effort bumping the speed up and down; saving it's response until I had punched in four or five MPH increase , then jumping up to it's new target speed. Operator error - it worked great on the freeway.

The MC Cruise site does conversions for half a dozen different currencies, it was quoted in US dollars. I think I could convince myself to pop for $400 to give my arthritic right hand a break.

Edit\ I just checked, it's actually nine different currencies.

Last edited:
The MC Cruise site does conversions for half a dozen different currencies, it was quoted in US dollars. I think I could convince myself to pop for $400 to give my arthritic right hand a break.

Edit\ I just checked, it's actually nine different currencies.

DCT and cruise control are a godsend to we older (arthritic handed) guys. :eek:

I'm at the point where if no one near Minneapolis volunteers for a BDI CC fitment, I might buy the base AP500 unit ($188 US) and a Trail Tech switch (~$25 on eBay) and be the guinea pig. I'd prefer BDI do the work and document the installation; they did such a good job on the FJ-09 kit, it was worth the price difference (and there were plenty of surprises for them along the way). But I'm thinking the AP500 is a less (electronically) sophisticated unit and it should be within my ability.

Joe and I finally got time on our schedules to try this. Hooking the linkage to the throttle body was easier than expected, today we located the necessary electrical wiring points to splice into. Tomorrow we will try to fabricate brackets to tie it all down. A quick test ride and then all the panels try to go back on. We're dancing as fast as we can and taking lots of documenting photos. If successful, maybe a kit will be available soon. I'll keep this thread updated as time and progress permits

My 2016 NC700XD stripped naked for prototyping new kit. Cruise control servo/black box is on the floor next to her.

image.jpg

Linkage cable attached to throttle body.

image.jpg

So far, so good. No showstoppers yet (knock on wood). Hoping to be finished by Friday with this installation.

Ray

Last edited:
Today was another good day. We sorted out almost all of the linkage routing and bracket locations. Seems like the cruise control kit install should only require removing the seat, side panels, battery box, and frunk to have all the access necessary. And the servo module fits nicely inside the forward upper panel on the throttle side. Tomorrow we'll finalize the electrical connection points, make a loom, plug her into power and take a test ride. It looks very, very, positive at this point.

Here is the linkage to the throttle body. It is looped around the barrel end of the OEM throttle cable (top OEM cable in this photo).

image.jpg

This shows the 90 degree bend of copper tubing to route the linkage rearward (toward the fuel tank). Other two photos show the linkage bracket progressing rearward to its mounting point using an existing starter bolt.

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

This photo is showing the servo module mounted between the inside of the throttle side upper-panel and the air cleaner box. (Looking forward). Clearance all the way around.

image.jpg

Ray

Last edited:
Saturday morning here and got the electronic connections functioning. Just back from the first cruise control road test.

IT WORKS GREAT!

Joes says you can start contacting him (phone is best) on Tuesday about kits, pricing at $379.00

Brandon Distributing, Inc.
18629 Simonet Drive
Elk River - MN 55330
Toll Free (877) 402-3944 or (763)241-4172
Office Hours: Mon-Fri. 8:00am-5:00pm Central

Ray

Last edited:
Great news! Will the installation instructions be posted online somewhere? If I do decide to buy this kit, I would like to know, step by step, what I'm getting into first.

From your pictures, it may be less intense than the heated grip install.

We are still tidying up the loom, soldering/shrink tubing wiring connections, and relay connections, along with control module and cruise control switch placement details. As it is, the cruise control install has all the same auto-style cruise control functions working. I will be busy putting all the panels, frunk, battery box, and seat back together during the rest of today until completion, so I can pack up the moto-mule and hit the road for Florida later today. I'll respond to any questions as I get time on the road as well as give this thing a good long test. Any questions about the kit and its instructions is Joes department.

Ray

Last edited:
Well, I didn't get finished today, Murphy bit me. Our linkage bracket looked and functioned nicely, but was obstructing the battery box from seating correctly. We came up with what seems like a cleaner setup that allowed the battery box back in place, easy peesy.

New linkage placement.

image.jpg image.jpg

Battery box now seats properly.

image.jpg

Also new cruise control switch.

image.jpg

I'm hoping to have her all buttoned up and on the road to Florida by noon Sunday.

Ray

I just got back from a moto camping trip in Colorado and this would have been a great thing to have riding across Kansas.
Tell Joe that I will be buying one of these when I get caught up on bills. (Divorce set me back a lot)

I just got back from a moto camping trip in Colorado and this would have been a great thing to have riding across Kansas.
Tell Joe that I will be buying one of these when I get caught up on bills. (Divorce set me back a lot)
I am still road testing it, killing a couple of birds with the same stone. I found out it isn't ready for prime time yet, still need to tweak some components involved with our hard cable throttle linkages. I'm meeting with Madstad on Monday about our 2016 windscreen brackets, and then back up to Minnesota. New parts we want to try should have arrived by then. We're dancing as fast as we can to get this cruise control perfect, I want to get back to the west coast in time for the HU in Yosemite.

Ray

Any updates on the Brandon cruise control? Ready and for sale?
I regret to say that I just haven't had time to work out the bugs yet, too many trips this past fall.

The connection to the braking signal (to disengage when brakes are applied) was giving the computer a conniption fit, causing the engine to die or the DCT to disengage after using the brake a certain number of times. I'm going to instal an independent brake switch to the rear brake and use it for the disengagement signal. I haven't tried our new throttle body linkage cable yet, wanting to get the brake problem done first.

I'm on another trip now, heading to Kentucky for some deer hunting, then off to lay on a Thai beach until February. Once I return, it will be a high priority to get it working before we leave for Argentina in March.

Ray

The connection to the braking signal (to disengage when brakes are applied) was giving the computer a conniption fit, causing the engine to die or the DCT to disengage after using the brake a certain number of times. I'm going to instal an independent brake switch to the rear brake and use it for the disengagement signal. I haven't tried our new throttle body linkage cable yet, wanting to get the brake problem done first.[/SIZE][/FONT]

This happens when using either of the brakes? Can be replicated by push-buttoning the brake signal without applying the brakes?
A programming particularity of the TCM that dictates that if the rider is still heavily on the throttle and the brakes are applied again and again this means lack of control?

If anything else fails, I would suggest a tiny time delay from the time the brake signal is applied to the time it is sent to the TCM just enough for the servo to release the throttle enough. Maybe 100-150ms?? Unfortunately this would mean more cutting and extra circuitry.

Back